Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 60

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  12:23:20  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all. Alisttair, Ed gets to Ottawa about once a year or so, usually in the dead of winter, to watch his granddaughter play in a hockey tournament out at the Sensplex arena in the suburbs. He always tries to take the family to the National Art Gallery or to look at the (stunning) Library in the Parliament buildings, but rarely wanders the downtown any more (as he says: "Everyone in Ottawa seems to forget that travellers from elsewhere have to park their cars SOMEwhere.")
And akin to everywhere else, gaming shops, comic book stores, and sf bookstores seem to keep closing.

Yes I am familiar with the Sensplex (the local NHL team does most of their practices there - Sens fan here).
I never drive downtown because of the difficulties in finding good parking UGH!
True that there are not much gaming shops that remain here. Fandom II, located downtown, is pretty much the #1 place that has been open for so long and has the best supply of gaming material in the area.
Place d'Orleans (shopping mall in eastern Ottawa) has a decent hobby shop that sells comics and D&D stuff (called Entertainment Ink). Let me know if Ed ever plan to drop by there, I would bring my copy of The Annotated Elminster to have signed (and simply to get the opportunity to meet the Great Greenwood in person).

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  17:46:15  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Yes I am familiar with the Sensplex (the local NHL team does most of their practices there - Sens fan here).

Any chance we (Västra Frölunda) could have Daniel Alfredsson back for a month? We're bottom of the league at the moment and subsequently at great risk of having to finish the season by playing in the relegation-series (bottom two teams from the "Elitserie" and four teams from the 2nd tier league).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  17:49:51  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

Any chance we (Västra Frölunda) could have Daniel Alfredsson back for a month? We're bottom of the league at the moment and subsequently at great risk of having to finish the season by playing in the relegation-series (bottom two teams from the "Elitserie" and four teams from the 2nd tier league).

hehe - he's currently injured, but I can understand why you would want him back. He is to the Otatwa Senators what Ed Greenwood is to the Realms

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  18:12:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

hehe - he's currently injured, but I can understand why you would want him back. He is to the Otatwa Senators what Ed Greenwood is to the Realms

He created the team in his head a few years before the invention of hockey?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  18:59:43  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

quote:

I mean they go hand in hand. When you think of one, you think of the other.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  19:00:53  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

quote:

I mean they go hand in hand. When you think of one, you think of the other.

Go to Top of Page

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  19:38:26  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message
Im trying to figure out what the spell was that elminster used in Elminster in Myth Drannor. He states that it is used to dismantle a deer into cuts of meat for travel i believe and he uses it on that elvish wizard that attakcs him. the result of which sends the elvish wizards head falling of the cliff. What was that spell and if it does not exist anyware how would somebody go about recreating it for there capaign world?

"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die."
— H.P. Lovecraft (The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories)
Go to Top of Page

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  19:43:13  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message
elminster battles a elvish wizard that hates him because he is human and allowed in the elven lands. he battles him on a cliff face and paralizes elminster and the only spell elminster can use is this spell and it sends the elf's head falling of the cliff, where it hits one of to evles climbing the cliff and it sends that elf to his death as well. there has to be some one that knows the spell or the battle im talking about. its from the Book Elminster in Myth Drannor. please tell me someone knows what im talking about and that im not crazy!

Edited by - Synthalus on 01 Mar 2011 20:22:31
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  21:54:38  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
That is a spell he uses, but Im not sure it was ever published
in a realms supplement. No, your not crazy. You got it right.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  23:39:45  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

It was vangy, my fault. I can't remember all the RSE's that took place in all those years. :)

hey just good to see you're still around.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  23:59:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
And you were all going so well.

Fellow scribes, let's direct the non-Ed-based chatter elsewhere, eh?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  11:33:52  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

And you were all going so well.

Fellow scribes, let's direct the non-Ed-based chatter elsewhere, eh?

My stuff was praising Ed because in Ottawa we have a fictional Church of Alfie (Daniel Alfredsson, captain of our pro hockey team) and thus, comparing Alfie to Ed is like saying Ed is divine (we should start a church of Greenwood)
But anyways, I do have a question for Ed :

Listening about the rising price for crude oil this morning got me thinking. I don't recall any mention of oil in the realms. Does Toril have oil in it? If so, how would it affect the realms were someone to "strike oil". I'm especially wondering how it would interact with the Underdark as well. Would/could it flood parts of the Lowerdark? How would the nations around the Sea of Fallen Stars act if oil burst out of the bottom of the sea (never mind the nations around the Sea, how about the nations beneath the sea?)?

Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  13:01:36  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message
Dear Ed, dear THO,

In July 2010 I came with a question about the Hobgoblins and goblinoids of the forgotten realms.

your answer went right into it - so far, I had only viewed it from the "human" point of view, as you precisely described.

After your reply though, and some other reasons, I had to reconsider my whole picture of the realms Goblinoids quite drastically.

And after exchanging loads of information with many of the wonderful scribes here, I have come to a new question / set of questions.

And here they go:

1. Would it be too wrong to have the thought of a wide-spanning sercetive network of the Hobgoblins of Faerun, exchanging information etc. and plotting for THEIR goals on the strategic point of view?

and in more detail:

a.)i.e. Hobgoblins being responsible for the huge amount of troops mobilized by the sythilisian empire, also organizing much of the logistics etc. necessary to maintain and train a host of over 65.000 fighting individuals - and more important, stay undiscovered.

b.) that eventually in more regions ever heard of ( orsraun mts., stonelands, copper mts. etc. ) these either local or interlinked "kingdoms" of the hobgoblins do exist for very long time periods already, but going completely unnoticed by the "civilized" races?

Or would it even be possible, that the hobgoblins are responsible for the fact, that the standard evil wizard or madman, or even the zhents etc. can almost always recruit humanoids in such vast numbers without any problems? like the hobgoblins directly or indirectly manipulating tribes, chieftains or even subjugated versions of them into joining the ranks of these armies? - like the one gathered to destroy evereska just after the return of the shades??

these options would all suit the basic approach and descriptions you made in july last year.

and, if only one of them wouldbe true, is there any more information on WHAT couldbe the long-term goal for hobgoblins to be achieved? or HAVE they actually already achieved what they want, and are just maintaining it?

I know I know, a lot of questions on things most likely not very high in the priority rating of ED and you, but still this is an ongoing discussion with a lot of friends and also keeps my own brain busy since ever then.

basically I know I can do whatever I want in MY realms, but I am more than keen to know what the opinion of this is with ED and Gary and you...

I am looking forward to a short reply, and say thank you in advance for sharing any information.

All the best
Jakuta Khan
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  16:45:53  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

But anyways, I do have a question for Ed :

Listening about the rising price for crude oil this morning got me thinking. I don't recall any mention of oil in the realms. Does Toril have oil in it? If so, how would it affect the realms were someone to "strike oil". I'm especially wondering how it would interact with the Underdark as well. Would/could it flood parts of the Lowerdark? How would the nations around the Sea of Fallen Stars act if oil burst out of the bottom of the sea (never mind the nations around the Sea, how about the nations beneath the sea?)?

I think Ed responded to this last year. The gist of it (as far as I can recall) was that it'd have no big effect since there's not much use for oil in the Realms (no gasoline-driven vehicles, no call for plastics, and so on).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2011 :  10:01:10  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
New article of Ed on Wizards:

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/dueotr/201103whispers

Fun article though I am unsure how useful it is (passwords of organizations, nice background but they are a bit prone to change over time, I fear).
The article establishes that the Harpers exist in Cormyr and the Dalelands,and names a few individuals.

Is it known how large this particular Harper group is? I would like to assume some of the individuals I have added over the years (such as Mishell Nymonen or Yelena Manadaur) are among these Harpers, but that likelyhood is a bit dependent of the group size.

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2011 :  16:14:05  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Perfectly useful.
Gives "models" for secret words and phrases, so a DM pressed for time can use as is, and other DMs can make up new ones that "sound right."
Notice, too, how much lore Ed manages to hint at, by what he includes (not just confirming active Harpers).
Good lore.
Care to expand, Lovely Lady THO? Or Ed?
BB
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2011 :  16:31:45  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
quote:
I think Ed responded to this last year. The gist of it (as far as I can recall) was that it'd have no big effect since there's not much use for oil in the Realms (no gasoline-driven vehicles, no call for plastics, and so on).

Awww....no plastic toys??

Go to Top of Page

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2011 :  16:59:03  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message
Dear mister Ed Greenwood what was that spell in Elminster in myth drannor?

Go to Top of Page

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2011 :  17:14:02  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2011 :  18:05:02  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Synthalus

You may want to be a bit more specific. After all, it's a book about a wizard having various types of encounters with other wizards.

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2011 :  18:38:30  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
If you had asked what that spell was in Elminster: The Making of a Mage, I would have answered fireball (as it is the one I most fondly remember from that novel for a very particular reason).

Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2011 :  10:45:56  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message
Were there any wars in the Shaar during Jhaamdath, against the yuan-ti?

z455t

Edited by - Kno on 04 Mar 2011 12:28:02
Go to Top of Page

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2011 :  12:30:11  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may want to be a bit more specific. After all, it's a book about a wizard having various types of encounters with other wizards.

i did already !

Im trying to figure out what the spell was that elminster used in Elminster in Myth Drannor. He states that it is used to dismantle a deer into cuts of meat for travel i believe and he uses it on that elvish wizard that attakcs him. the result of which sends the elvish wizards head falling of the cliff. What was that spell and if it does not exist anyware how would somebody go about recreating it for there capaign world?

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
136 Posts
Posted - 01 Mar 2011 : 19:43:13

elminster battles a elvish wizard that hates him because he is human and allowed in the elven lands. he battles him on a cliff face and paralizes elminster and the only spell elminster can use is this spell and it sends the elf's head falling of the cliff, where it hits one of to evles climbing the cliff and it sends that elf to his death as well. there has to be some one that knows the spell or the battle im talking about. its from the Book Elminster in Myth Drannor. please tell me someone knows what im talking about and that im not crazy!

Edited by - Synthalus on 01 Mar 2011 20:22:31

Go to Top of Page

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2011 :  12:32:36  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message
forget it he'll never awnser me anyway i'll just create a spell like it and call it a day. ive already got Kajehase mocking me on my posts so i offically give up finding the awnser.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2011 :  12:54:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

forget it he'll never awnser me anyway i'll just create a spell like it and call it a day. ive already got Kajehase mocking me on my posts so i offically give up finding the awnser.

That's not the right attitude... Ed will answer your question, it just might take a while. He's got many commitments on his plate and doesn't always have requested lore handy, and sometimes has to duck and dodge NDAs.

You'll get your answer, it just might not happen immediately.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2011 :  13:18:31  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message
Wooly, ever optimistic.

"A true warrior needs no sword" - Thors (Vinland Saga)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2011 :  14:42:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
That, and the fact that both Ed and the Lady Hooded One have explained how the Ol' Bearded One's answering technique works here at Candlekeep.

Hmmm. I'm thinking I may just have to enter such info in a special scroll focusing on how this questioning and answering process operates.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2011 :  16:31:22  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

Not mocking. Of course, after seeing this post...

A nice tip for having a good time on the internet: If someone says something to you that can be interpreted as either snarky or helpful: interpret it as helpful. If it was meant to be helpful - all good. If it was meant to be snarky - well, isn't it annoying when you're trying to rile someone up and they won't play along?

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2011 :  04:54:31  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Hey Ed, and THO. I'm back! (big surprise, know) I was rereading the Shadowdale adventure the was included in the 2e Revised campaign setting and getting all nostalgic. It was the first Realms adventure I ever DM'ed, and the book still bears a bunch of ancient sticky notes with much-less-refined hand-writing where I modified things.

Looking back on it now with more experienced eyes, I still quite enjoy it. It's a great "starter dungeon," but it's equally adaptable to higher-level characters by just making the monsters tougher, and the drow more organized (and, I would imagine, the Twisted Tower's lower door stronger). It also has a bunch of expansion possibilities. I'm thinking of running it again, because I'm pretty sure my players will jump at the chance to do some raiding down the river, freeing dwarven slaves and generally making life miserable for the drow.

Which brings me to my question. Under such a scenario, it's easily possible that you could have several hundred dwarves rescued and pulled back to the tunnels beneath the Twisted Tower. I know they were all captured from other holds, but that's a ways away, and there's this complex here ready for settling. But is there anything that would interest the dwarves? Mourgrym, I'm sure, would jump at the chance to have a dedicated group of defenders guarding his lower flank, and there would be trade with the dale, but is there anything in the area that the dwarves would find worth settling down for? Any good nearby mines? Is the stone quarry-able? (and if so, where would they sell it?)

The way the adventure is written, the tunnels beneath the Twisted Tower and Old Skull are great for a dungeon, and only-slightly-less great for a guard post. But could they be made into a settlement?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2011 :  06:20:21  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message
Hey Hooded One, Ed, earlier in this thread I asked how the Silver Marches would react if the Kingdom of Many-Arrows decided to march to the coast with the intent of taking over Luskan and turning it into a colony(as well as conquering a good bit of the land between the Kingdom and the coast). While I'd still like an answer to that, I have a followup; How would Neverwinter and Waterdeep react to the orc kingdom going on the march to the coast? Assuming Obould(the current one, not the original) approached them with this plans to take over Luskan and clear the port so he could use it, possibly becoming trading partners with one or both cities, would they consider it, or would they be too concerned with the possibility of the orcs gaining a foot hold in the area & the thought of orcs as a naval power?

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 60 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000