Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 60

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  20:02:17  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Oh, and Alystra? Curious thing: in Ed's original gods writeups, Bane was (also, that is, as well as the titles that made it into print) "Lord of Nightmares." Someone at TSR made that disappear right at the beginning, I seem to recall because at one point there was discussion of doing a fantasy adventure game for a young audience that involved a struggle between a good "Lord of Dreams" and an evil "Lord of Nightmares."
Ooh. Vintage suppressed Realmslore. You made me open the box.
love,
THO

Oooohh!! *giggles giddily* I just might have to look him up again.

@ MrM: that sounds curiously like the supposed link between Britain and her Kings/Queens. Arthurian lore, in particular.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  21:45:48  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
Ed sure depicts Bane well in The Temptation of Elminster even if it was Mystra impersonating him. Out of this I have a question:
Does Ed see the Gods caring if they impersonate one another for their own gain? It was considered pretty serious in Prince of Lies (which I know Ed did not author) so I'd be thrilled with Ed's insight into this area.

Cheers,

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  22:32:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Housekeeping time again.
Meaning: a cluster of brief replies to various scribes.

First, to The Sage and Wooly, who should come first because they're our hardworking moderators and should get SOME perks to go with all the grief:
Yes, Ed always envisaged it as a Celtic harp, from the beginning.

Azuth, the gods care VERY MUCH about anyone impersonating them. It's almost "the ultimate sin," something that any god will understand as "rightfully" enraging another god. It's almost "Not Done" (Ed says "almost" because of course some gods have done it, but it's the best way to get yourself quickly mistrusted, feared, hated, or shunned by your fellow deities. Who will soon refuse to play with you, or as Mr. Lowder used to (beautifully) put it, "join in their reindeer games."

Mr_Miscellany, Ed tells me your query about a connection between the people and the land of Cormyr (which Alystra Illianniis quite rightly reminds us evokes the Arthurian link between Britain and its royalty) is dangerously NDA. Which of course should tell you that you're on to something.

Alisttair, Ed tells me that Rauglothgor retained the same lair as a dracolich as he did in life, and his usual "hunting grounds" when alive were up the Thunder Peaks into the Border Forest and then beyond, in a circle east over Thar and thence home again, and down the Thunder Peaks to coastal western rural Sembia and across the Neck (narrows between the Lake of Dragons and the rest of the Sea of Fallen Stars) to Starmantle and the hills and mountains south of that.

Alisttair, Ed also tells me that French Toast IS known and eaten in the Realms, but called "eggfry bread." He further notes that it is NEVER a sweet (a dessert), and certainly is never made with cinammon as in many American kitchens, but is a savory, eaten with gravy, panfry drippings, and spicy sauces like tamarind sauces (the Realmsian equivalents of real-world steak sauces, barbeque sauces, and ketchup). Wayfarers on the road, and caravan merchants, have been known to eat eggfry bread with molasses, and even enjoy it, but it's regarded as "roughing it" or "desperation fare," not a preferred or "proper" way to consume eggfrybread. The "classic" Realmsian way to enjoy eggfrybread is to make it in the fat of, and eat it with, thin slices of pork or salt pork or pork hocks or "cracklings" (rendered-down pork fat or, in modern real-world parlance, "pork rind").

So there you (all) have it. More soon!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  22:46:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. REAL soon, as it happens. An e-mail just arrived from Ed, answering two more of Alisttair's queries. So here we go . . .

"Regarding Fzoul, did you ever envision him rising so high the way he has (up to Chosen in 3E and Exarch in 4E), or did he prefer the High Imperceptor of Bane as the big bad guy servant of Bane? Or was he envisioned more as secondary to Manshoon?"

Ed replies:

I created all three of these individuals, but never saw Fzoul as subtle enough to rise above being Manshoon's sidekick unless he got lucky - - and he did. The High Imperceptor was a jaded, decadent, doomed man from the start (the start being my conception of him), but it remained to be seen if the ever-ambitious Manshoon would either overreach himself (as he did), or foresee that it might be wiser to let Fzoul "beat him" and leave one of his lesser clones as Fzoul's subservient, non-trusted underling while he operated undercover from outside the Zhentarim (which he also did). :}

"Of the tunnels of the Underdark below the Twisted Tower, some are detailed in the Shadowdale adventure of the 2E CS, and more detailed in the City of the Spider Queen adventure. Do you have more extensive maps of these tunnels, and are there any unpulished locales of note within these caverns?"

Ed replies:

Oh, yes; I have VERY extensive unpublished maps of that area of the Underdark, both just below the surface and a layer deeper. Yes, there are indeed unpublished locales of note. However, both maps and locales are NDA right now. Sorry.

So there you have it, Alisttair. Ed promises (something) more tomorrow.
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  22:49:04  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, and I forgot to add that yes, Wooly, Ed confirms I was right about the harp being the symbol because Ed "saw" it in use, in his first mental picture of any of the Seven Sisters (one harping in the woods, second comes along, they get attacked, etc.; I believe I posted about that mental picture here at the Keep, in the past, not just a few posts above this one).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  23:17:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Oh, and I forgot to add that yes, Wooly, Ed confirms I was right about the harp being the symbol because Ed "saw" it in use, in his first mental picture of any of the Seven Sisters (one harping in the woods, second comes along, they get attacked, etc.; I believe I posted about that mental picture here at the Keep, in the past, not just a few posts above this one).
love,
THO

Thank you, Ed, and thank you, my Lady. I had thought it might be because the music of a harp reminded him of your voice.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 10 Feb 2011 23:18:00
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  23:41:36  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

love,
THO

Thank you, Ed, and thank you, my Lady. I had thought it might be because the music of a harp reminded him of your voice.

That's one smoooooth Hamster....

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  00:05:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

First, to The Sage and Wooly, who should come first because they're our hardworking moderators and should get SOME perks to go with all the grief:
Yes, Ed always envisaged it as a Celtic harp, from the beginning.
quote:

love,
THO

Ah, my thanks, Ed and my lovely lady. One further ask:- Did Ed actually specifically envision one of the Seven, or was that image still somewhat vague? I'm only asking, because your previous posts didn't exactly cover this...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Feb 2011 00:07:33
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  00:09:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

love,
THO

Heh. I always imagine a soft warm-cool breeze at twilight caressing my shoulders when I read the words of the Lady Hooded One.

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Feb 2011 00:10:24
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  03:23:30  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
Sheesh- and here I thought my BARD was the "lady's-man" around here.....

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  04:36:59  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello Ed,

In your realms, what undead feel actual pain from physical injuries more so than magical damage, any expanded answer is awesome.

An example-If a large rock fell on a ghouls lower half, would it be in actual pain?
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  04:57:52  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
If Ed Greenwood or THO would be as so kind to me and the gods smile upon me favoribly, I would like to ask a question regarding the vampires of Faerun: I have been having trouble lately finding any information on the vampires that inhabit Faerun. I would like to create a vampire PC, but I cannot seem to find any "true" vampire sources such as the making of a vampire PC and where they tend to live, such as: is there a city of vampires soley, or any places of which they mass together?

Thank you in advance for even reading this.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  08:44:40  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
I second two latest questions, as I love vampires, especially drow vampires. So, I ask, is anything known about the fate of Shyntlara Auvryndar? Or, if it's NDA, anything about her past... that's not in DDGtU?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  10:23:14  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
I have a quick question about names... Why is the Realmsian God of War called "Tempus"? I've always asked myself about it, and after the answer about Arabel I thought probably Ed has some good reason for so naming the Lord of Battles.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  11:42:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

I have a quick question about names... Why is the Realmsian God of War called "Tempus"? I've always asked myself about it, and after the answer about Arabel I thought probably Ed has some good reason for so naming the Lord of Battles.

Because "Fred" just didn't sound as impressive?

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  12:15:55  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
Thanks for the plethora of replies Ed and Lady THO!

I have a hypothetical question now.

Would post spellplague magic work in a pre-spellplague dead magic zone, since it's effectively independent of the weave and dead magic is a tear in the weave?? I may recall that technically it wouldn't work even with Time Travel (as a travelling wizard would switch to the timeframe's way of casting spells IIRC??), but would/could there be a way to do so anyways?

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  12:26:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

"I had a horse named Fred."

-- The Sage wonders whether the several players who game at his table will respond to this fond Realms-campaign memory.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  13:43:53  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

quote:

If the Realms ever get translated into Swedish, the translator would be very miffed to find a war-god called Fred, let me tell you. (It means peace in this part of the world.)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  14:37:48  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase
quote:

If the Realms ever get translated into Swedish, the translator would be very miffed to find a war-god called Fred, let me tell you. (It means peace in this part of the world.)

Actually Fred is the shortened version of Frederick, which means "peaceful ruler"... Good choice, Wooly!

My question is because "Tempus" means "time" in latin (tempo, in portuguese). Is there any special reason for this choice?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 11 Feb 2011 14:42:29
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  16:05:22  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase
quote:

Actually Fred is the shortened version of Frederick, which means "peaceful ruler"... Good choice, Wooly!

My question is because "Tempus" means "time" in latin (tempo, in portuguese). Is there any special reason for this choice?

I had always assumed that it was the 'sound' of the name, rather than the etymology. Tempus sounds like 'Tempest', which is what a battle looks like from far above, where the gods watch it.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco

Edited by - Knight of the Gate on 11 Feb 2011 16:06:04
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  16:27:24  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
I'll just chime in on this: was the "Tempos" alternative in Icewind Dale (yes, I know Ed didn't write it) just a typo - later corrected, or did Ed have a say in that variance? It's pretty easy to explain away a previous "created" diety (Gwaeron Windstrom, for example) as an "aspect" of Mielikki, which Drizzt worshipped in later novels. The problem I have, and thus my second question in one post to Ed - greedy me - is that aspects seem like an area where to gods might work together. For example, if someone worshiped nature and sea storms, Umberlee and Chauntea might form an "aspect diety" (whom we'll call "Fluff") so that this hypothetical character is really worshipping them both. In other words, if someone decided that none of the gods of the Pantheon worked for her, would she be able to "create" an aspect deity? Final question - egads, three! - for Ed. There is a character and a deity named Torm. Would it be common practice to name your child after a diety, and are there implications if you do? I can't imagine many people seeking to name their child "Loviatar" if that were the case, despite the fact that phonetically, it's a pleasant sound.

Thanks for the triple-header.

Lord of All Spells

Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  16:57:41  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Azuth

I'll just chime in on this: was the "Tempos" alternative in Icewind Dale (yes, I know Ed didn't write it) just a typo - later corrected, or did Ed have a say in that variance? It's pretty easy to explain away a previous "created" diety (Gwaeron Windstrom, for example) as an "aspect" of Mielikki, which Drizzt worshipped in later novels. The problem I have, and thus my second question in one post to Ed - greedy me - is that aspects seem like an area where to gods might work together. For example, if someone worshiped nature and sea storms, Umberlee and Chauntea might form an "aspect diety" (whom we'll call "Fluff") so that this hypothetical character is really worshipping them both. In other words, if someone decided that none of the gods of the Pantheon worked for her, would she be able to "create" an aspect deity? Final question - egads, three! - for Ed. There is a character and a deity named Torm. Would it be common practice to name your child after a diety, and are there implications if you do? I can't imagine many people seeking to name their child "Loviatar" if that were the case, despite the fact that phonetically, it's a pleasant sound.

Thanks for the triple-header.

Lord of All Spells

I'm hoping to hear answers for all of these as well, they have me just as curious as Azuth.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  16:59:40  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
This brings another question to me then (from Azuth's sig.):

Who was the final Magister, and what happened to him/her during the spellplague?

(something tells me this is NDA lol - would make for a nice campaign arc for a PC to become the last Magister....hmmm Paragon Path idea here...)

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  17:49:04  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
A question just popped into my head while browsing another thread: To what extent is it correct to continue to refer to an ancient undead as 'he' or 'she' rather than 'it'? Using Larloch or Aumvor as examples; they have been undead for far longer than they were ever alive at this point, and have (one assumes) lost all interest in the procreative act, as well as the ability to engage in it. Their drives and desires are not really mortal in any sense anymore; and yet we know that Aumvor wants Laeral for his 'bride'. Would these ancient undead be offended in referring to them as 'it', or would they likely not notice? Obviously with others (Ioulam springs to mind) they have changed their forms to such an extent that not only are they not gendered, they aren't even vaguely humanoid any longer. Or is this (as I suspect) a case of personalities, where Larloch might be bemused by a mortal calling him 'it', Aumvor might destroy the same mortal for offending his 'manhood'? Are there liches (or other ancient, once-human creatures) that have preferred or insisted on being referred to this way?

Odd question, I know, but I wondered if Ed had ever addressed this in his home game or unpublished writings.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  18:05:35  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded OneOh, yes; I have VERY extensive unpublished maps of that area of the Underdark, both just below the surface and a layer deeper. Yes, there are indeed unpublished locales of note. However, both maps and locales are NDA right now. Sorry.

Hi again. Just wondering, are all unpublished maps of the realms NDA or are some free to share??
Again, thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  18:57:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded OneOh, yes; I have VERY extensive unpublished maps of that area of the Underdark, both just below the surface and a layer deeper. Yes, there are indeed unpublished locales of note. However, both maps and locales are NDA right now. Sorry.

Hi again. Just wondering, are all unpublished maps of the realms NDA or are some free to share??
Again, thanks!

I'd imagine it depends on who holds them. Ed's own maps, that have never left his house, are prolly not covered by NDA. Ones he's sent to WotC/TSR, on the other hand, would remain covered by NDA.

Keep in mind, WotC understands that it costs them nothing to leave an NDA in place.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  19:30:31  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Again, thanks!

I'd imagine it depends on who holds them. Ed's own maps, that have never left his house, are prolly not covered by NDA. Ones he's sent to WotC/TSR, on the other hand, would remain covered by NDA.

Keep in mind, WotC understands that it costs them nothing to leave an NDA in place.

As if an agitated hamster could ever be a "nothing"

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  23:00:04  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
KotG — I can't speak for Larloch, but I'm quite sure Szass Tam would be offended by being an "it" instead of a "he".

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2011 :  00:36:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

This brings another question to me then (from Azuth's sig.):

Who was the final Magister, and what happened to him/her during the spellplague?

(something tells me this is NDA lol - would make for a nice campaign arc for a PC to become the last Magister....hmmm Paragon Path idea here...)

Given the revelations about Mystra's fate in Elminster Must Die, I suspect this will indeed prove to be NDA'd.

Though, I'd also appreciate any info could share on this. And, maybe, how Talatha Vaerovree might have fared during the period.

Of course, this is assuming the Great Bearded One has worked on these tidbits.

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2011 :  01:54:08  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
createvmind, I know that Curst (Ed's creation, first appeared in issue 30 of "The Dragon," and were undead then, not a template or any of the later edition tweakings) feel pain, because it specifically says so in their writeups.
BB
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 60 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000