Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 60

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  11:59:19  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

No, this was focused more on nightmares. Something along the lines of Dreamscape, if anyone remembers that movie. A class that could induce nightmares in others or invade their dreams. Sort of a necromantic feel, IIRC.

The Nightmare Spinner from Complete Mage is a possibility.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  13:23:59  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
Hello Ed. Is there a vast network of Underdark caverns with the regular cast of Drow, Illithids, Duergar, etc... in Returned Abeir? Does some of it work differently from the standard Underdark of Faerûn?

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  19:16:57  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eldacar

quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

No, this was focused more on nightmares. Something along the lines of Dreamscape, if anyone remembers that movie. A class that could induce nightmares in others or invade their dreams. Sort of a necromantic feel, IIRC.

The Nightmare Spinner from Complete Mage is a possibility.

Ah! That would be the one! Thanks Eldacar. I knew it had something to do with nightmares....

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  16:06:24  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Last night, I had the great pleasure of attending the second session of a reading series hosted by ChiZine Publications in Toronto, in Augusta House (a dark, tiny, grotty-but-cozy little upstairs bar on Augusta Avenue in the Kensington district of Toronto). Different authors each time, usually three, always changing, so you've missed your chance for Ed for a while, at least . . .
Four authors read from their works: Leah Bobet, Ed Greenwood, Michelle Sagara West, and Rob J. Sawyer. Leah: scary living-in-sewers piece, won't be published for a year, very good. Michelle: from "Silence," an urban fantasy, night encounter in a graveyard. Great writing, very scary. Rob: jaunty little short-short stories (published long ago) and a prose-poem (new). Two classics, and all crowd-pleasers.
Our Ed read the prologue, first chapter, and part of the second chapter of a just-written Victorian London-setting steampunk work called (at least right now) THE IRON ASSASSIN.
Ed is a great reader; he puts on voices for all of the characters, moves and gestures as they would . . . and I don't think "enthralled" is too strong a word to describe the reaction of the 70-ish strong audience.
While anything that isn't the Realms might be seen as delaying Ed from writing more Realms stuff, I have to echo what I heard several people say to Ed at the reading: "How soon can I get this book? I HAVE to have this book!"
So, Ed . . . how soon can I get my hands on this book? I HAVE to have it!
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  16:21:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Heh, Blueblade, I'll ask, okay?

Almost a month back, Kajehase posted: “All this talk of Arabel made me remember something: Is Ed aware that "Arabel" was the codename given by the WW2-era German military intelligence service Abwehr to what they thought was one of their best agents (turns out he was actually one of the Brits' best agents), one Juan Pujol Garcia?”
I’ve talked to Ed about this, and . . .
Yes, Ed was aware of that. As were several of his players, which made it a subtle signal to us that Arabel might not be all that loyal to the Crown, though they might well pretend to be. Which in turn makes Arabel a great adventure setting, because there’s local lawkeeping . . . and then there’s the gray areas between keeping the loyal-to-the-Crown Purple Dragons (the on-the-streets lawkeepers) happy, and keeping the most powerful and influential long-established families of Arabel happy, and keeping the average labourer and shopkeeper happy. (Room for self-controlled adventurers to flourish in.)
Yet Ed used “Arabel” primarily because he thought it was a great-sounding name for a medieval-era fantasy city.
So there you have it.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  16:25:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello once more, everyone. I just received an e-mail from Ed, and can now pass on these tidbits:
To Blueblade: the steampunk piece is something Ed was playing around with for David Hartwell at Tor. As he said at the reading: “It may or may not ever be published as a novel, and may or may not be called “The Iron Assassin” if it is.”
He now adds: if it doesn’t see print elsewhere, it may eventually become my entry in Mike Stackpole’s The Chainstory Project.
To Alisttair, re: “Hello Ed. Is there a vast network of Underdark caverns with the regular cast of Drow, Illithids, Duergar, etc... in Returned Abeir? Does some of it work differently from the standard Underdark of Faerûn?”
Ed replies: Yes, and yes. However, details are NDA right now. Sorry.

There; the latest from Ed. Must run!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  17:37:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Pass this on to Ed: I am now dwelling (part-time) in a new region (the Kentuckiana area - I never even heard of it before coming here ), and have talked to several gaming groups around here, and am surprised that Steampunk is on the rise.

I know Warmachine (the Iron kingdoms setting) sparked everyone's interest a few years back, along with Eberron, and the popularity of the Girl Genius series. Its like a Shadowrun renaissance!

Anyhow, I am partial to the genre myself, and since we seem to be sitting at the leading edge of a re-interest, Ed may as well 'catch the wave' and ride it.

Is that story set in an alternate-Earth, or is it based entirely on a fantasy world? What 'tech level' is it? Another game that touches upon this genre (and mixes it with a small amount of horror) is Weird West/Deadlands; maybe Ed can use his story for some other game/setting?

I'd buy a Steampunk novel by Ed, and I am sure many others here would. I'd love to see an entire novel series (by various authors) set in the Ravenloft sub-setting Gothic Earth. Sherlock Holmes, Frankenstein, The Nautilus, and Rakshasas... Pure Win!

BTW, my own setting is somewhat Steampunk (magically based, like Eberron), and my fondest dream is to get it popular enough to have Ed someday write for it. I know... I dream big. Who knows... someday... if I ever finish the site.

Anyhow, I hope Ed finds a venue for that story - I would love to read it.

And now for a Question:
Since I am world-building right now, I find myself challenged by law enforcement in a magical world. I once asked Ed if he found the shear 'Everythingness' of D&D hand-tying on some level, while designing for his world , since it has become a published setting. I will narrow that HUGE topic down now to just criminology - in a world with spells that can track down nearly everything, how, exactly, does anyone EVER get away with anything? I am sure Ed has put some thought into this, since Elminster started out as a thief (in a city of mages!) What stops the crown (or whoever) from ALWAYS solving crimes? I am just trying to figure out why anyone would want to become a thief in a world where not only is fairly easy to track them down, but the guy doing it has every right to incinerate you on the spot (without a trial).

Can he share some of his own thoughts on how law enforcement works in the Realms, or more specifically (if it makes it easier), how such things are done in Cormyr?

RAS once touched upon this - a minor rogue in Luskan got a hold of a piece of 'dead magic' to keep folks from scrying him. Is this fairly common?

It seems to me that both Priestly and Divination magics make the viability of many RW situations (death, disease, crime, etc) a lot less important, which I would think would drastically change how a society develops (yet fantasy worlds seem very much like medieval Earth). Things like hospitals and detectives become unnecessary. How does Ed work around this?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Feb 2011 17:40:14
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  01:07:15  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message
It is my understanding that Elminster occassionally makes his way to Earth to chill out in Ed's kitchen. I'm curious as to whether or not he's ever taken anything back with him; specifically, if any Earth music has found its way back to Toril.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  01:37:26  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

It is my understanding that Elminster occassionally makes his way to Earth to chill out in Ed's kitchen. I'm curious as to whether or not he's ever taken anything back with him; specifically, if any Earth music has found its way back to Toril.

You've missed the references to the rise of Emo-music among spoiled Cormyean city-youths?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  01:48:49  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message

I would never dream of speaking for Ed, but in his books he describes several situations where people go to great lengths to be hidden/protected from scrying. I'm also pretty sure that mages don't have time nor desire to do nothing but ask people questions to see if they're lying. I'm certain that some mages bully their ways into reading the minds of others, say as the Srinshee did against El at first in Myth Drannor, but I doubt that it's a common practice, as mages who did this too often would find their truth reading spells only told them that the mob around them all intended to kill them. I'd also guess that the less-fanatical of the lawly gods (Tyr, Torm, even Bane) would be against random mind probes. The equivalent of no unlawful search and seizure. I do know that's how I've run my worlds, and that I never had a desire to play my priest or mage characters personally as people who ran around reading minds.

Cheers,

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Pass this on to Ed: I am now dwelling (part-time) in a new region (the Kentuckiana area - I never even heard of it before coming here ), and have talked to several gaming groups around here, and am surprised that Steampunk is on the rise.

I know Warmachine (the Iron kingdoms setting) sparked everyone's interest a few years back, along with Eberron, and the popularity of the Girl Genius series. Its like a Shadowrun renaissance!

Anyhow, I am partial to the genre myself, and since we seem to be sitting at the leading edge of a re-interest, Ed may as well 'catch the wave' and ride it.

Is that story set in an alternate-Earth, or is it based entirely on a fantasy world? What 'tech level' is it? Another game that touches upon this genre (and mixes it with a small amount of horror) is Weird West/Deadlands; maybe Ed can use his story for some other game/setting?

I'd buy a Steampunk novel by Ed, and I am sure many others here would. I'd love to see an entire novel series (by various authors) set in the Ravenloft sub-setting Gothic Earth. Sherlock Holmes, Frankenstein, The Nautilus, and Rakshasas... Pure Win!

BTW, my own setting is somewhat Steampunk (magically based, like Eberron), and my fondest dream is to get it popular enough to have Ed someday write for it. I know... I dream big. Who knows... someday... if I ever finish the site.

Anyhow, I hope Ed finds a venue for that story - I would love to read it.

And now for a Question:
Since I am world-building right now, I find myself challenged by law enforcement in a magical world. I once asked Ed if he found the shear 'Everythingness' of D&D hand-tying on some level, while designing for his world , since it has become a published setting. I will narrow that HUGE topic down now to just criminology - in a world with spells that can track down nearly everything, how, exactly, does anyone EVER get away with anything? I am sure Ed has put some thought into this, since Elminster started out as a thief (in a city of mages!) What stops the crown (or whoever) from ALWAYS solving crimes? I am just trying to figure out why anyone would want to become a thief in a world where not only is fairly easy to track them down, but the guy doing it has every right to incinerate you on the spot (without a trial).

Can he share some of his own thoughts on how law enforcement works in the Realms, or more specifically (if it makes it easier), how such things are done in Cormyr?

RAS once touched upon this - a minor rogue in Luskan got a hold of a piece of 'dead magic' to keep folks from scrying him. Is this fairly common?

It seems to me that both Priestly and Divination magics make the viability of many RW situations (death, disease, crime, etc) a lot less important, which I would think would drastically change how a society develops (yet fantasy worlds seem very much like medieval Earth). Things like hospitals and detectives become unnecessary. How does Ed work around this?

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  02:16:40  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Actually, CoA has a very good question. Elminster would have to take sheet music, or memorize it, or use magical means of recording/reproduction, or smuggle some audio equipment into the Realms (lol, and probably upgrade through vinyl, 8-track, cassette, CD, then MP3 over the years) ... although such technologies depend on differing physics and wouldn't work without magical alterations, if at all.

Elminster's made many comments which indicate he's seen a lot of things on our world. What else has he brought from our world to the Realms? Books? Movies? A stockpile of smokeweed for his pipe? Junkfood? New strains of wheat or crop now grown in the Dales, or an apple tree behind his tower (perhaps inadvertently, after discarding a piece of eaten fruit)? Computers, motorcycles, revolvers, bazookas? Condoms? The common cold? Anything?

I noticed a reference in 2E FRA under the description for Baldur's Gate, in which Elminster mutters darkly about the priests of Gond building their wondrous devices (harbour cranes, printing press, steam engine) after being "divinely inspired" by looking at things on a certain other world. How many (and which) people in the Realms know of, scry upon, even travel to our Earth?

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 10 Feb 2011 02:19:12
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  03:19:11  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message
Personally El strikes me as a Tom Waits fan.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  03:24:27  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Arik, have you read Ed's Wizards Three DRAGON articles? They mention ice cream (specific flavours), cookies, and various drinkables that El covets (and in some cases makes off with) from Ed's home. So, to junk foods, that'd be a yes.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  03:36:47  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Thanx Blueblade. I've read a few, long ago, and not read many others. I'll look into them.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  03:40:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Actually, among the running gags in Ed's own gaming group are the inevitable Goon Show and Monty Python imitations, our habit of labelling any picture of almost anything (rats, sad-faced hounds, old discarded boots and tires, scarecrows, rusted road signs; ANYTHING) "The Simbul, as she recently appeared in [[fill in a Realms place name here]]," thanks to her habit of shapeshifting and eavesdropping or spying on we Knights in various other forms . . . and our habit of explaining any real-world disappearances, from pens and pencils to lingerie, as "Elminster took it,' or "Elminster obviously moved it/played with it/EXAMINED it."
And, Chosen: Ed grew up in a very musical family (parents sang professionally, Ed and all his siblings were in church choirs and from time to time sang onstage, they all played piano (Ed tells me "badly," in his case) and Ed did the inevitable school band (Ed played tuba, baritone [horn], and double bass [upright stringed] and then the (given the time period) ALSO inevitable rock music thing (his local high school rock band was Rush, and his tastes included Genesis, ELO, etc. He has THE most eclectic - - and huge - - record and CD collection I've ever seen in my life, and enjoys all sorts of music.
Recently, when I dropped in to visit Ed at the library where he works, I overheard him answer a kid who'd used their iPhone to record a snatch of someone else's music, and wanted to know what the song was, and who the singer was. Ed not only identified the singer as Tom Waits and the song as the Waits rendition of "Somewhere" from West Side Story, he sang the missing end of the song in such a perfect imitation of Tom Waits that he left the kid speechless - - and me applauding.
So I don't know if he's a fan, but he could be a Waits stand-in, if the real thing ever got incapacitated.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  03:49:24  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, and Alystra? Curious thing: in Ed's original gods writeups, Bane was (also, that is, as well as the titles that made it into print) "Lord of Nightmares." Someone at TSR made that disappear right at the beginning, I seem to recall because at one point there was discussion of doing a fantasy adventure game for a young audience that involved a struggle between a good "Lord of Dreams" and an evil "Lord of Nightmares."
Ooh. Vintage suppressed Realmslore. You made me open the box.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 10 Feb 2011 03:51:44
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  03:57:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Here's a quick question that hit me today: For the Harpers, why was the harp chosen? I know the in-game reason (I flipped thru Code of the Harpers a couple hours ago), but what I'm curious about is why Ed chose the harp as the symbol and name of the group.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  04:03:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Wooly, I THINK it has to do with Ed's first mental picture of any of the Seven, back in 1966 or 1967: seeing one sister harping, in a glade in a deep forest, when another arrived and greeted her. And they were then attacked, and cooly defended themselves.
However, only Ed can provide the definitive answer, so of course I've sent your query on to him.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  04:18:42  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Harpers include a lot of Bards, associations with Milil, etc. So a musical instrument isn't an unreasonable symbol. I'd always thought it was also largely because they harp in the context of being nagging, persistent, and tedious (like harpies) ... calling them fluters or strummers or thumpers just doesn't carry the same implication.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  04:31:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Wooly, I THINK it has to do with Ed's first mental picture of any of the Seven, back in 1966 or 1967: seeing one sister harping, in a glade in a deep forest, when another arrived and greeted her. And they were then attacked, and cooly defended themselves.
However, only Ed can provide the definitive answer, so of course I've sent your query on to him.
love,
THO

Thank you, my lady.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  05:36:42  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message
Well, incase that was mistaken as a typo, I meant that while pondering this, Elminster struck me as being a Tom Waits fan, if he were to enjoy some Earth music. That information regarding Ed's musical tastes and history is very interesting, and impressive.

Having just read the first book of the Avatar series last month, I recall Bane mentioning that he was the lord of nightmares in the book; an early chapter has him suffering one himself for the first time. I suppose it wasn't taken out quite early enough to avoid print.

Speaking of Bane, I remember reading in the deities and demigods article regarding the Points of Light Bane, distinct but partly inspired by FR Bane, that he and Points of Light Asmodeus have an interesting history of cooperation, mutual respect, and mutual hatred for one another. I was curious as to whether Bane and Asmodeus have any sort of relationship or past dealings in Ed's realms?

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  12:53:15  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
I noted down a few questions I have for Ed, so i'll start with this one:

Regarding Fzoul, did you ever envision him rising so high the way he has (up to Chosen in 3E and Exarch in 4E), or did he prefer the High Imperceptor of Bane as the big bad guy servant of Bane? Or was he envisioned more as secondary to Manshoon?

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  12:57:28  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
A querry again:
Of the tunnels of the Underdark below the Twisted Tower, some are detailed in the Shadowdale adventure of the 2E CS, and more detailed in the City of the Spider Queen adventure. Do you have more extensive maps of these tunnels, and are there any unpulished locales of note within these caverns?

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  12:58:52  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
Me again:
Incantatrix - does affecting magic this way require the weave, or could such a method/class be possible post-spellplague?

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  13:17:05  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
MMMM!! I just had French Toast. Yummmy!

Does the recipe for French Toast exist in the realms? If so, I'm sure it wouldn't be called French Toast. What name does/would it have?

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  13:18:17  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
Regarding Spellfire post-spellplague, Spellfire Channeler appears as a Paragon Path. Any idea if there are any further developments in the works?

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  13:19:51  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
Pools of Radiance - do they still exist post-spellplague? Any still intact and/or operable?

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  13:21:13  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
Not sure if its mentioned in the Spellfire novel, but did Rauglothgor have a different lair prior to being a dracolich? In the years prior to his "lichdom", where would he have been most likely to be encountered?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  13:57:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

love,
THO

I'd like to add to this query from Wooly for Ed, if I may, milady:-

The original envisaging of one of the Sisters with the harp... was it always styled as something of a Celtic harp, or did you have another type of harp in mind?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  14:07:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Harpers include a lot of Bards, associations with Milil, etc. So a musical instrument isn't an unreasonable symbol. I'd always thought it was also largely because they harp in the context of being nagging, persistent, and tedious (like harpies) ... calling them fluters or strummers or thumpers just doesn't carry the same implication.

That's reasonable enough.

In my own campaigns, I've laid the foundation of the harp as a possible communal/political symbol for the Harpers... kinda like how the symbol of the instrument functions for Ireland. Each Harper "clan" would utilise the harp to play songs about their adventures in promoting the Harper cause -- effectively creating a aural culture that would loosely unify them into a nation-of-sorts.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 60 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000