Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Mask Fate (Spoiler?)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  17:16:30  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi scribes!

I'm looking for informations about the exact fate of Mask as portrayed in the last book of the Erevis Cale trilogy that I do not have.

I've read on another thread here on Candlekeep about a secret, probably unknown to Shar or even about her, he carried with himself into the oblivion.

Can someone give me more information about the event? Thanks!!

Also... speculations about who will take his place in the near future?

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  18:08:55  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arioch

I'd like to see him come back finding out that he was hidden in the shadows of death or somesuch, but probably his portfolio will have been stolen by Shar, Cyric, or both.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  18:27:04  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:

I'd like to see him come back finding out that he was hidden in the shadows of death or somesuch, but probably his portfolio will have been stolen by Shar, Cyric, or both.

Indeed Mask is a great loss for the Realms. I hoped to the last to see him in the 4ed realms...

I suppose that another resurrection among deities will be difficult to conceive...

About the "secret"? Something that can cause a downfall for Shar? Maybe at that point he can be freed again from his mother...
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  19:17:59  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Paul S Kemp has a trilogy coming out starting in 2012 about Erevis Cale's son, so I could definitely see Mask being involved in how that turns out somehow. Other than that I don't know of anything having to do with Mask past his last secret he kept back from Shar, which I hope is something that leads to his resurrection and/or Shar's downfall. Most likely the secret had to do with Cale's son, though how he is specifically involved is something we'll just have to wait to find out.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  19:28:11  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recall Mask being destroyed.

He's also a treacherous little fellow, prone to intrigue and deception. Part of the old ToT portfolio mixup he participated in, I think.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  05:39:51  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my game both Mask and Vhaerun are still amongst the living. In fact Vhaerun is Mask.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  09:35:31  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

I don't recall Mask being destroyed.

He's also a treacherous little fellow, prone to intrigue and deception. Part of the old ToT portfolio mixup he participated in, I think.

Have you read the Twilight War trilogy by Paul S Kemp? If not I'd highly recommend it. Despite the fact that it involves the Shades taking over Sembia and Shar, an event and goddess I'm not too high on, it was an incredible trilogy and was well worth the read. I don't want to spoil the series but the OP's question was specifically on the events at the end of the last book in the series, so it's not really possible to talk about this question without spoiling it.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  09:54:38  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did read the trilogy, and I certainly liked it. About a thousand books ago, so my recollection of finer details is probably a bit hazy. I thought I'd remember something as significant as Mask's demise. I'm generally not in the habit of re-reading books, though maybe this should be one of the exceptions.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  10:23:31  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by idilippy

Well, Paul S Kemp has a trilogy coming out starting in 2012 about Erevis Cale's son, so I could definitely see Mask being involved in how that turns out somehow. Other than that I don't know of anything having to do with Mask past his last secret he kept back from Shar, which I hope is something that leads to his resurrection and/or Shar's downfall. Most likely the secret had to do with Cale's son, though how he is specifically involved is something we'll just have to wait to find out.

Very interesting!
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  21:40:57  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

I did read the trilogy, and I certainly liked it. About a thousand books ago, so my recollection of finer details is probably a bit hazy. I thought I'd remember something as significant as Mask's demise. I'm generally not in the habit of re-reading books, though maybe this should be one of the exceptions.

I think it's worth a re-read if it's been a little while, but you could also just read the last couple pages before the epilogue to see what happens to Mask.

quote:

Very interesting!

Yeah I'm really looking forward to the series. Paul S Kemp, in his scroll on this site, posted a link to a preview of the book that you might want to look at. It doesn't directly say anything about Mask but it does show a character from the Twilight War trilogy and introduces a character who will be central to the Cycle of Night trilogy beginning in 2012.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2010 :  01:13:02  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually if you read the Twilight War Trilogy and the short story "Continuum" in Realms of War, then you should have a pretty good idea what happened to Mask and what is most likely to happen with him in the upcoming Cycle of Night Trilogy.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2010 :  08:22:36  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Actually if you read the Twilight War Trilogy and the short story "Continuum" in Realms of War, then you should have a pretty good idea what happened to Mask and what is most likely to happen with him in the upcoming Cycle of Night Trilogy.

Interesting! Can you give me some more information about what is likely to happen?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000