Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Fort Morninglord and LFR
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2010 :  16:26:41  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi scribes! Some questions:

I was looking about information on Fort Morninglord, in Elturgard when a friend of mine, who plays Living Forgotten Realms, told me of the contents of the adventure "The Morninglord Laughter".

1) Is the content of a LFR adventure "automatically" canon? I mean, I do not know how exactly LFR works but its contents are not public it seems... (strange that I never asked me that question, given the many many years spent playing in the Realms )

2) Can we discuss about them freely here on CK?

3) Any speculation about what really happened to the fort?

Thanks, as ever!!

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2010 :  20:13:21  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LFR content is canon up to a point. I don't know exactly which adventure it stops with, but as of FY2011 all LFR modules are no longer reviewed by WotC-- meaning the canonical integrity is removed at that point.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2010 :  22:59:55  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

LFR content is canon up to a point. I don't know exactly which adventure it stops with, but as of FY2011 all LFR modules are no longer reviewed by WotC-- meaning the canonical integrity is removed at that point.
There's also the fact that LFR modules aren't always considered or available when other canon sources (novels, Dungeon adventures, Dragon articles, sourcebooks) are being penned.

Personally, I put LFR material in a similar (but inferior) position to Ed's lore; for me, it's quasi-canon. It's the official stance, until/unless another, published, public source contradicts its information.
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2010 :  07:57:58  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you both for your answer!

@Garen: I agree with your quasi-canon attitude.

About speculations about what really happened at the fort? (Should I ask ED?)

... According to the "The Morninglord Laughter" (which does not reveal the mistery at all), the garrison of the fort is still trapped inside, locked in a battle against the "evil" that attacked them. ("They are trapped but trap" said the mad only survivor). The fortress is covered with magical (divine, arcane and primal) runes, whose function is presumably to keep confined inside the evil.

The (collective?) consciousness of the fort's inhabitants can communicate with the outside by writing their thoughts on the outside walls. Both the good guys and the bad guys can use this mean of communication.

Getting too close to the structure somehow "disturbs" the barrier, allowing the evil guys (only) to exit... This is probably why the High Observer imposed to stay away from the fort.

About the evil inside: it seems something related to madness (so I'm told) and shadow ... (far realm?)

In the adventure the PC can win an artefact from the garrison to be used in a future battle between Elturgard and the Spellplagued abominations from the south.

Given the fact that these are only second hand informations I collected, I'm still guessing if someone can add something, as I said speculations welcome!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  02:42:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If its 4e, and in-particular LFR, you really shouldn't 'ask Ed'.

Aside from Returned Abeir, he has very little input in the new Realms, and is probably nearly as unfamiliar with them as you or I. That means he cannot give you an answer, because it isn't his lore to begin with. That was created by someone else, and it wouldn't be 'proper' (and possibly legal) for him to finish-off someone else's storyline.

The only place to get a definitive answer would be from whatever LFR scribe penned that lore, and the problem currently is that although that may be canon, any answer he gives you now would not be.

Its a strange situation - many of the people who were in the middle of creating their own, canon stories in the Realms can no longer canonically finish them. You know that epic-spell TSR (and later WotC) cast upon Ed, NDA? Well, they in-effect just cast that on the LFR guys - scary, cause now they have Mass NDA!

Its like Karsus' Avatar all over again! Except this time, instead of huge pieces of real estate falling from the sky, they are all lifting heavenward.

And you know when you pronounce NDA it sounds like 'nada', as in "exactly the kind of answer you will get from here on".

And on a semi-rantastical note, I have a feeling the LFR guys were doing 'too good a job', and the WotC guys were having to work too hard to keep up with them (which is exactly why 4e was created in the first place). Why bother deconstructing a setting so as to remove the need to 'learn the lore' (their own words - watch those podcasts), just to have a talented group start back-filling it all in again? The LFR guys were being so productive and lore-prolific, they were hard to keep up with (thus forcing many of those "how can this be like this if that is like that?" type of questions the old, highly-detailed Realms engendered.)

They were disturbing the nice, CLEAN tabula-rasa.

Not that I care one way or the other - I have a feeling everything they did will eventually 'be erased' (unless it was really good, in which case it will be recycled elsewhere). I just feel bad for a great group of dedicated guys who I think really 'got played', but that's just IMHO, so take it for what it's worth.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Dec 2010 03:16:07
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  09:12:47  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Markustay: nice Marry Christmas Semi-Rant

Thanks for avoiding me the mistake of asking Ed!!

So... If I have to ask for some help about this Fort, I probably have to change forum, going under Running the Realm!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000