Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Githyanki
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2010 :  07:32:01  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Silver Swords, Necromancers, Red Dragonriders, Psionics, Illithid-bane. These guys are awesome. Why is there so little information about them here? Has anybody used them extensively? I'd love to hear every last detail.

Seriously, The Death of Lashimire (Dungeon #116) and Seekers of the Silver Forge (Dungeon #125) both written by Tim Hitchcock and both fantastic.

And just what I need for the Caradhaker. How am I going to get a Red Dragon into the Underdark?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 11 Dec 2010 08:05:44

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2010 :  08:32:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arik, myself, and a few other scribes recently rambled on about this particular topic, here:- http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14329

[Arik's first post also contains past links to prior discussion scrolls on the subject.]

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2010 :  09:01:52  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sage, that's why you're the Loremaster Most High, I guess. Not sure how I missed that particular thread, but I saw some of the others. I'm particularly interested in the Half-Dragon Githy. Did you finish your research Arik? I'd be interested in seeing what you came up with. Inquiring minds need to know.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Edited by - Fellfire on 11 Dec 2010 09:03:35
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2010 :  16:23:11  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, which "research" exactly, Fellfire? My learnings about the Gith races followed many paths; now I am determining the nature of another Gith race which (I have discovered) will threaten my Realms ... er, little can be said of them until I spent an hour writing up my notes, another hour editing for consistency, and about twenty more editing for typos.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2010 :  16:29:06  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doh! I'm especially interested in the Duthka'gith, and of course the Silver Swords. If you need an acolyte to assist you in your endeavors, I offer my services, O Senior Scribe.

I've skimmed through the Guide to the Astral and the Planescape MC but don't see the Duthka'gith detailed in either.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 11 Dec 2010 17:13:55
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2010 :  16:01:59  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For anyone who wants to know, the Duthka'gith (fiendish half red dragon/githyanki) are fully detailed in Polyhedron magazine #159.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 12 Dec 2010 19:53:00
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  01:05:00  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Red/githyanki crossbreeds have fiendish blood? Or just a fiendish adjective?

I'm still excited by the (non-canon) concept of slaad/githzerai crossbreeds ... nothing's impossible in Limbo.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  01:12:15  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The description states fiendish blood, but I don't really see it reflected in the stats. All Duthka'gith are decended from Ephelomon. I haven't seen him statted out yet. I still have to read The Lich Queen's Beloved from Dragon #100, mayhaps he's in there.

They can Smite Good, that seems to be the extent of it. I will of course be adding some fiendish traits of my own, because being the progeny of a fiendish red dragon is soo much better.

And yes, gitz/slaad sound very cool. What color? I'd love to see some artwork for that.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 13 Dec 2010 01:19:52
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  01:27:50  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragon/giths are bad enough, I'd hate to see gith- or draconic- cambions, mixing all three is just overkill. With just a drop of lichdom they might rule the universe.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  01:39:20  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps, but they are necromantic genetically engineered super-soldiers, and rule of the multi-verse is their goal.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 13 Dec 2010 01:40:27
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  02:07:40  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd go more for genetically selected than engineered. Although the forerunners did evolve strength, magic, psychology, and latent psionic abilities under the illithid yoke. Gith seem to have strong latent psionics, some element of telepathy is in their speech, and you've gotta be pretty tough to face up to an illithid (especially in 1E and 2E). The differences between -yanki and -zerai show how quickly the race adapts to local conditions (the Astral and Limbo are both inimical environments).

Under the old (circa 2E) psionics, for which disciplines do the giths have greatest affinity? telepathy, psychoportive, psychometabolic? Maybe psychokinetic or even clairsentient?

I've recently read up some biology (of the generic kind) ... an interesting thesis suggests that once a creature becomes perfectly adapted to it's environment (and avoiding predators within it), the creature always becomes a predator itself.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  05:25:32  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say psychoportive, pysychokinetic, and psychometabolic judging from their inherent abilities.

I would be interested in reading that Arik. Seems to make sense to me. I don't know that many species typically move down the food-chain.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  04:56:32  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bump. So I can find it tomorrow.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  05:14:42  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A thought regarding Astral-travelers, gith necromancy and incorporeal undead. Would you normally associate ghosts, or wraith/wights as servants of powerful necrogith's? Ghosts, I think, have a closer connection to the Astral, and more recent novels connect wraiths and such to be more closely aligned to Shadow. Not that a sufficiently powerful individual could not summon up whatever she pleased.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  22:04:10  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ghosts, at least the AD&D 1E/2E types I am familiar with, are actually anchored to Ethereal planes, not the Astral. Some Ravenloft material (particularly the relevant Van Richten guide) discuss ghosts in great depth, although their extraplanar affinity is somewhat downplayed on the Demiplane of Ravenloft.

Undead have long been vaguely connected with the Negative Material Plane and Demiplane of Shadow. 3E and 4E rearrangements of planar lore (along with the Shadowfell reformat) sort of mixed it all up to the point where you can pull lore out to support any planar linking you prefer.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2014 :  02:24:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Instead of Githzerai, shouldn't they have been gith-rebels? Ya know... 'cause their opposites?

Just sayin'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2014 :  18:33:18  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just curious: Is there much information to be found on the githvyrik (a term coined by Paul Kemp to refer to members of the species who were neither githyanki nor githzerai) apart from these half-dragons?

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2014 :  02:23:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Just curious: Is there much information to be found on the githvyrik (a term coined by Paul Kemp to refer to members of the species who were neither githyanki nor githzerai) apart from these half-dragons?

Not much beyond the novels, though Paul Kemp shared a few tidbits with me about the githvyrik during a discussion here back in '05:-
quote:
Like the githzerai and githyanki, the githvyrik split from their progenitor gith kin when they freed themselves from the mindflayers. Unlike the githzerai and githyanki, however, the githvyrik number only a handful or so, and all of them are so unique that calling them a race is really more a convenience to reflect their shared origin rather than a suggestion that they share physical characteristics or a similar culture.
quote:
I'm delighted you're a Cale fan. Lots more to come on that front, starting with Midnight's Mask this November and a follow up trilogy beginning next year.

I do not intend to detail the origin of the Gith. The Sojourner (Vhostym) is a creature that I've called a githvyrik, another offshoot of the gith split. In my conception, the githvyrik numbered vastly fewer than either the githzerai or the githyanki, and while those races took to a single plane and established their societies and culture, the more powerful individualists among them at the time of the split did their own thing, travelling worlds and planes (like the Sojourner), taking up residence in the underdark, etc. In fact, calling the githvyrik a race is somewhat of a misnomer. I regard each of them as unique -- powerful and very old spellcasters, yes; derived from the same genetic stock as the other gith, yes; but otherwise quite different. For all intents and purposes, Vhostym might as well be solitary and, in fact, almost all githvyrik are.

Anyway, Vhostym has a bunch of scenes in Midnight's Mask, so if you want to more about him as an individual, you'll have plenty to read.
quote:
Sage,

Agreed. Without a shared culture and society, and numbering so few, the githvyrik would worship according to their individual proclivities and no generalization would be possible.

Vhostym, in fact, is as close to an atheist as someone whose visited FR can be. Not an atheist in the sense that he does not believe that Cyric, Bane, Torm, et al exist, but an athiest in the sense that he does not believe them to be divine beings.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2392 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2014 :  21:56:46  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

They can Smite Good, that seems to be the extent of it.

Doesn't sound awfully useful for hunting illithids.

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Dragon/giths are bad enough, I'd hate to see gith- or draconic- cambions, mixing all three is just overkill.

Well, yeah. "Sadly, usual" thing.

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I've recently read up some biology (of the generic kind) ... an interesting thesis suggests that once a creature becomes perfectly adapted to it's environment (and avoiding predators within it), the creature always becomes a predator itself.

You guys also adopted marooned space tourists as teachers? I thought cold air keeps them at bay.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000