Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Mexican/Spanish equivalents in the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  18:35:57  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Figuring itno what I was talking about in the other thread - is there an equivalent to festivals like Día de Muertos/Day of the Dead and figures like Santa Meurte? Or somewhere it'd make sense to insert them?

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  19:02:30  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amn was supposed to be the realm based mostly on Spain but I don't recall such a day being written about.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  19:23:55  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't Sembian a mix of Italy & Spain? Amn is kind of moor occupied Spain I think.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  21:33:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think of Amn and Tethyr as Spain and Portugal... but don't ask me which is which. Just a very light comparison as a 'guide'.

Such festivities might exist over in Maztica/Anchorme... so long as you don't follow the 4e stuff that says all that went away. The Amnians invaded there quite some time ago, mostly enslaving the population (there was even mention of large plantations in Once Around the Realms). Right now you have a similar mix to what happened RW - with Amn being Spain and Maztica being Mexico. So placing any of that culture there - including festivals - works perfectly. You could even say that it was a more simplistic affair back in Amn (Myrkul's 'day of the dead') that turned into something more to the superstitious Maztican folk (in other words, a good way of putting what you want in the Realms, so you don't have to go across an ocean to see it). In fact, according to the last 3e source (GHotR), a nice chunk of the Maztican population was transplanted to Amn and the Lands of Intrigue, so there's your 'in'.

And in my FR-meets-the 'Old West' campaign (which I just mentioned in another thread), I gave the goblins a cheesy, over-the-top, spaghetti-western Mexican accent. "Badgers? we don't need no stinckin' badgers!" (I actually used that line... no wonder my players left me LOL). Not that that has much to do with the thread subject, but its just funny picturing anyone in FR with that accent.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Oct 2014 21:39:59
Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  00:39:21  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who would the god of death be in Maztica? Maybe it'd make sense to just use the Raven Queen.
Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  03:27:33  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually - what's the equivalent of Halloween?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  03:29:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While we're on Amn and Tethyr as possible perceived equivalents of real-world Spain and Portugal, I'll note Steven Schend, who wrote Lands of Intrigue, did once say:-
quote:
As for the Amn / Tethyr bits, you guys are on the mark; there is probably more Calishite leftover culture in Amn because they were always a bit removed from the lash, unlike Tethyr. Thus, while both were born from a mix of immigrant conquerors/overlords from Calimshan, Amn and Tethyr have their touches of the south in varying degrees. That's why I always hint at the links to Moorish Spain and southern France for them--the architecture and some of the religion and customs remain, even if they outwardly hate the culture from which it came.
But there are more differences from Moorish Spain than similarities: exactly the distinction between the original Realms and TSR's analogues.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  03:35:30  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no general god of death in Maztica, unless you homebrew in Mictlantecuhtli (Aztec Death god). There are dead cities known as Mictlan in Maztica however with populations of undead.

There are also beings that guide the dead to their proper resting place in Mazticas cosmology (realms placed throughout the Great Wheel but all connected to a metaphysical pyramid) known as zizimime which might have a saint-like following similar to Santa Muerte.

By the way, if you're into that kind of stuff, one of the Breaking Bad episodes did a great representation. If I remember the name I'll edit it in here.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  03:37:28  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Badgers? we don't need no stinckin' badgers!" (I actually used that line... no wonder my players left me LOL). Not that that has much to do with the thread subject, but its just funny picturing anyone in FR with that accent."

Badger, badger, badger. Oh no, a snake, a snake.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  04:18:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interestingly, in the novel Once around the Realms, the god monkey (from KT) leads Volo and company through 'the Realm of the Dead' to reach Maztica. He knows this route because in an earlier source (I think it was in one of the psuedo-Japan modules) he had to lead a whole group of people by that route to save them (which means there should be some evidence of very early KT culture somewhere in the Ameri... errrr... Maztica and Anchoromé).

Anyhow, not a Maztican 'god of the dead', but at least its reference to the 'realm of the dead' in Maztica.

I sometimes like to think that Monkey is known as 'Coyote' in Maztica/Anchoromé - a animal-visaged trickster god - and obviously he had access to that continent. Thats just my own musings, however. If Maztica truly had its own trickster god, I would think it more likely to be that guy from the Draconic pantheon.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Oct 2014 04:19:50
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  04:33:41  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for reminding me of this. Everytime someone says the word Badger, I think of that infernal song. It also makes me remember the blacktooth lycanthropes from Forest of Blood and Twisted Run, two of my favorite, but never played, adventures from Dungeon. Gotta read them again, and maybe, someday soon, playem.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  12:26:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given the tendency of the dead to rise as undead, I wouldn't this to be as popular a holiday in the realms. I could however see clerics of Kelemvor noting a particular day as bringing his realm "closer to Toril" and on that day people should propitiate the dead.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  14:03:10  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's exactly because of the stereotype that they need it.

But apparently the Realms does have the Day of the Dead in the Fest of the Moon, seems like a pretty straight up analogue.
Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2014 :  06:11:27  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here we go, here's the link to my short stories. If you have time I recommend reading Nine Tales University from the beginning. It's written to make sense to people outside of our campaign, a lot of the characters that appear in it didn't have much characterisation before the stories anyway.

http://crystallineprincess.tumblr.com/tagged/short-stories

The part in particular:

https://app.box.com/s/tvku0mrr4xihd0i44535

If any Latina people or actual worshippers of La Santa Muerte find this offensive please let me know. I'm a little wary of showing it to people who I know actually are for sure aha
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2014 :  17:10:36  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Want an awesome take on a "Spanish" (more Portuguese obviously) take on the realms:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447&SearchTerms=Sespech

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000