Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 The Guilty and the Witness
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  04:31:28  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
One of the reasons a thread is sealed is because a scribe fails to adhere to CK's CoC. But I think (as in the RL) it's not fair to condemn both the guilty and the witness. There are scribes who try their best to stick to the rules, and would want to continue having their voice heard – yet couldn't, due to some people who can't seem to see the difference between a troll and a civilized human being. Hence, I think there SHOULD be a BLOCK MEMBER from the Thread. If the OP him-/herself leaves the bounds of CoC, then by all means block him/her. The power to block, of course, should be left to the MODs and to them alone.

What do you think, fellow scribes?

Mod Edit: Shifted to a more appropriate shelf.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - The Sage on 06 Dec 2010 04:35:59

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  04:40:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@ Sage, I was about to do the same when I saw it in GC.

Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  07:30:47  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My experience with sealed scrolls is that, usually, it's not just one poster. It takes (at least) two to troll. So that means two scribes already. Looking at some past experiences, if I were a moderator, I would find it very hard, in most cases, to single out one poster (or even two, for that matter) who is the single troll in a thread.

From a more non-principled, management-cop out POV, I would also find it easier to block a thread rather than have to single out one particular individual. That makes it bit more "personal", and people tend to react more passionately when they feel it's "personal".

I've cases where threads have been blocked because of excessive fireworks, and the subject was continued in a new thread. In some cases it degenerated (again) and in some cases, the discussion just pursued its original course.

So,summary, I don't see a need for a function to block a member from a thread.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  08:11:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thauramarth's position mirrors my own.

From my own perspective, it's often very difficult to single out just one scribe as a troublemaker. And when you start individually picking who can say what in which scroll, you're undermining the very process of the free exchange of discussion and debate. Sealing a scroll is never an easy choice for either myself or Wooly. And, often, we'll discuss what action to take between ourselves before we enact the dictates of the official CoC policy.

It's never an easy process, as I said. But I'd rather encourage passionate debate among individual scribes -- that may unintentionally lead to further intriguing discussion -- than curtail the potential for creative chatter that Candlekeep has become well-regarded for. If things get too difficult, or nasty... well, that's when a wholesale sealing of a scroll is warranted. It provides ALL scribes with an opportunity to step back, look at how they've participated in the existing discussion, and how they might want to consider how they can positively participate if and when the troublesome discussion is re-opened or brought up again elsewhere.

That's my view, anyway. Wooly may have a different perspective.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  08:49:47  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know what's so difficult in "determining" who the troll is/are in a particular thread. Tone and word choice is pretty much easy to judge. I for one can name the guilty in these threads: The Most Horri--- RSE and Telamont and the Simbul. These, of course, are just examples of the many. I don't want to start a conflagration, so I will avoid naming those people.

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  10:44:58  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say it depends on the situation.
If it is clear that a single person is disrupting a scroll, by all means, the aforementioned mod power would be a good thing. When it's not a single person but more, however, the entire scroll would get locked.
What say you, scribes?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  11:18:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Thauramarth's position mirrors my own.

From my own perspective, it's often very difficult to single out just one scribe as a troublemaker. And when you start individually picking who can say what in which scroll, you're undermining the very process of the free exchange of discussion and debate. Sealing a scroll is never an easy choice for either myself or Wooly. And, often, we'll discuss what action to take between ourselves before we enact the dictates of the official CoC policy.

It's never an easy process, as I said. But I'd rather encourage passionate debate among individual scribes -- that may unintentionally lead to further intriguing discussion -- than curtail the potential for creative chatter that Candlekeep has become well-regarded for. If things get too difficult, or nasty... well, that's when a wholesale sealing of a scroll is warranted. It provides ALL scribes with an opportunity to step back, look at how they've participated in the existing discussion, and how they might want to consider how they can positively participate if and when the troublesome discussion is re-opened or brought up again elsewhere.

That's my view, anyway. Wooly may have a different perspective.

I agree.

I dislike wearing the mod hat; it really messes up my hair!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  11:22:04  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

I'd say it depends on the situation.
If it is clear that a single person is disrupting a scroll, by all means, the aforementioned mod power would be a good thing. When it's not a single person but more, however, the entire scroll would get locked.
What say you, scribes?

I've no problem with that.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  14:58:41  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've found (in general, not only at CK) that the mod-last-word and iron padlock tend to make the trollers back off. Not just the one or three active trollers, but everyone who's put in a quip. Those scrolls that still have merit tend to be reincarnated ... the OP usually says "continuing this topic from <this> locked scroll; not an argument about <this detail> but about <that detail> ..."

My experience is this generally works well enough. Particularly hostile trollers tend to get themselves sorted out quick enough. Non-hostile trollers (who may have only been ignited by a particular topic or individual) are generally more careful about what they say.

Pick your battles, of course. There's no need to attack every single statement that offends you, nor "prove" you are right and somebody/something else is wrong. CK doesn't provide an ignore/block filter, but it's simple enough to just write "I strongly disagree with <you>, our opinions differ, but I won't respond to your arguments" and leave it at that. People troll for the same reason that people go fishing, and they move elsewhere whenever they aren't getting any bites.

Don't badger the witless.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 06 Dec 2010 20:20:29
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  00:17:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arik raises some worthwhile points, and I tend to agree with most of them.

My main concern with the notion brought up by dennis, is that considerate and respectable scribes who may simply have been unintentionally passionate about a particular subject, may grow disenchanted with being targeted by the same measures Wooly and I employ against troublesome and repeat offenders.

Every scribe has their "sacred beliefs" that they cherish fiercely when it comes to the Realmslore. I've been caught up in a few fiery debates myself. This is why I feel it's difficult to sometimes determine when blocking a specific scribe is warranted. Ultimately, as Moderators, we have to be very careful how we handle the thoughts and opinions of others.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  02:14:46  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are sealed scrolls where trolling is shared by many. And there those where it's done by a single scribe only. The former deserves the sealing. But the latter certainly doesn't.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  02:15:01  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

I don't know what's so difficult in "determining" who the troll is/are in a particular thread. Tone and word choice is pretty much easy to judge. I for one can name the guilty in these threads: The Most Horri--- RSE and Telamont and the Simbul. These, of course, are just examples of the many. I don't want to start a conflagration, so I will avoid naming those people.

Ha! That's hilarious!

You just walked in.....

Threw down an armload of tinder....
Poured gasoline all over , then refused to light it.
Are you 12? If not then
Name the names already(it's obvious you want to), and don't try so hard to be sly and get someone else to do it for you, when you sit back full of self- righteousness and then try to post something that is a pseudo-moderatorish imitation of something The Sage would say before you slip in another dagger aimed at prompting another response you can jump on or fain maturity when a moderator does step in. We've seen dozens of trolls like you roaming these halls and unfortunately you won't be the last. You just seem to be the most disingenuous with one hand trolling and the other trying moderating.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  02:19:02  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder what I've done to you, Red Walker? You name me "troll"? And yet you must be aware that your aforementioned comment is nothing but trollish. Such irony these days...

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  02:24:48  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wonder what I've done to you, Red Walker? You name me "troll"? And yet you must be aware that your aforementioned comment is nothing but trollish. Such irony these days...

Nothing to me directly, plenty of trolling good scribes and apparently your damn good at it since I feel for you trolling as well.

Bad on me.

Good for you, your the best.

From now on this scribe had best stick to just asking questions of sages and authors!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  02:35:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, fellow scribes, I think we all need to take a step back for a moment, and reconsider how we want the contributions in this scroll to be regarded.

Obviously, tensions and nerves among some scribes are a little on edge, given recent developments and arguments that have arisen in the currently active "Elminster Must Die" discussion scroll. This is actually the kind of situation I was cautioning against earlier, with regard to scribes and their passions for particular elements of the Realmslore making it difficult for me or Wooly to adjudicate appropriate action.

So, at this point, I think it's best if we all just apologise, consider that we're likely all partly to blame [and I'll admit to some fault in this myself], and move on. The great community we have here at Candlekeep should be strong enough to endure through these kinds of situations. Or at least I hope that's the case.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  02:38:35  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Understood, agreed, withdrawn.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  02:56:46  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay, fellow scribes, I think we all need to take a step back for a moment, and reconsider how we want the contributions in this scroll to be regarded.

Obviously, tensions and nerves among some scribes are a little on edge, given recent developments and arguments that have arisen in the currently active "Elminster Must Die" discussion scroll. This is actually the kind of situation I was cautioning against earlier, with regard to scribes and their passions for particular elements of the Realmslore making it difficult for me or Wooly to adjudicate appropriate action.

So, at this point, I think it's best if we all just apologise, consider that we're likely all partly to blame [and I'll admit to some fault in this myself], and move on. The great community we have here at Candlekeep should be strong enough to endure through these kinds of situations. Or at least I hope that's the case.

Last thing I want is to make you and Wooly's job harder. You have never heard me say the following.....I'm always for less moderator , big brother type stuff. But there have been a few scrolls in hind sight that have been left open too long imho. I think the temperatures got too high. I am not blaming the mods however, I wrote what i wrote. I was immidiately regretful of posting it, but I'm not the type to delete or alter a post after the fact.so i will let mine stand, unless removed and take a sabbatical from any scrolls where opinion/arguement is being bandied about!

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  02:58:57  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

Last thing I want is to make you and Wooly's job harder. You have never heard me say the following.....I'm always for less moderator , big brother type stuff. But there have been a few scrolls in hind sight that have been left open too long imho. I think the temperatures got too high. I am not blaming the mods however, I wrote what i wrote. I was immidiately regretful of posting it, but I'm not the type to delete or alter a post after the fact.so i will let mine stand, unless removed and take a sabbatical from any scrolls where opinion/arguement is being bandied about!

Lastly apologies to Dennis for said post!

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  03:04:39  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apology accepted, Red.

Please take time to read my PM.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  03:12:19  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Apology accepted, Red.

Yours accepted as well. And i am sure when all is said and done we will agree on more about the realms than we differ.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  03:13:57  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]Originally posted by dennis

Apology accepted, Red.

Yours accepted as well. And i am sure when all is said and done we will agree on more about the realms than we differ.

P.S. And what this site really needs is for me to be able to reply to pms easily even thougn there are 20 in my inbox!

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  03:16:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And i am sure when all is said and done we will agree on more about the realms than we differ.

Indeed.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  03:17:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

P.S. And what this site really needs is for me to be able to reply to pms easily even thougn there are 20 in my inbox!

I've been thinking of writing up a feat for Sage-Time, actually. Just imagine how much you'll be able to get done once you qualify for it?

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  04:01:01  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I've been thinking of writing up a feat for Sage-Time, actually. Just imagine how much you'll be able to get done once you qualify for it?

With Sage-Time when i am attempting a simple edit, I will I get three elusive triple post in stead of the doubles I just pulled off?

And how/when do I qualify...or is a matter of waiting for you to finish it

Edited by - The Red Walker on 07 Dec 2010 04:02:38
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  05:41:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yep. It's on my "To-Do" list.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  21:33:04  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

HA! I'll not hold my breath then as I've seen a snap of your list Here

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  22:49:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Now, for accuracy, add a whole bunch more rooms like that...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 07 Dec 2010 22:50:00
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  00:37:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

quote:

Now, for accuracy, add a whole bunch more rooms like that...

Heh. That looks like my office on a good day.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000