Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Most Horri--- RSE
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  03:47:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by dennis

quote:

Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The Return of Shade had so much potential... And in my mind, it didn't even come close to the neighborhood of that potential, much less live up to its promise!

What promise is that?

Pretty sure that we've had this discussion before... But in short, I expected something other than "ancient enemy comes out of nowhere and proceeds to beat the crap out of all comers, despite logic indicating otherwise." I rather expected, among other things, that their return would explain, at least in part, some of the many changes to the Realms wrought by the 3E changeover.

Indeed we've had. So maybe we'll just leave it at that.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  06:57:07  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by idilippy

Oh, I hadn't considered the drow pantheon's destruction as a RSE, but if so that would be up there with the Spellplague for me. I liked the drow having a non-good, non-Lolth god in Vhaeraun to follow, and the whole redeemed or not redeemed thing at the end had my head spinning. So suddenly half the race is "redeemed" by being turned apparently into normal elves, but are still stuck in the Underdark without any of the innate abilities that made them drow unless I missed something at the end of the last book. Also, what happens to the other half of the race, are they locked in as irredeemable by birth now or what?

That whole RSE just disappointed me, except for Ghaunadaur getting revealed as an ancient and powerful being, I thought it deserved to be more than an afterthought tossed into the Drow pantheon.

Yeah, I'm pretty much of the same mind on that one. I liked some of the characters, but honestly, wasn't Lolth powerful enough already? Why did she need an "upgrade"? And though I didn't mind loosing the blob god and the crazy undead witch, they really DO need that non-Lolth option, evil or otherwise. As near as I can tell, no, you didn't miss a thing. I had that same sour taste after reading the last book. So- what? They can't even THINK about becoming redeemed now?! Drow don't have free will? Where the Hells did THAT come from?! And the idea of having half of the entire race now down in the Underdark without their abilities was just dumb. Even more so since they now LOOK different from the rest. Yeah... Might as well have just said they all got slaughtered- cause that's what would happen.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  11:15:07  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
The potential of the Return of Shade was certainly wasted. And the LP series were just a so-bad-it-hurts follow-up to Lloth's Silence.

But the worst RSE were (in that order)
1. Spellplague
2. ToT
3. Fall of Netheril
4. Weeping War

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  11:41:35  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Huh? The Dragonrage was an RSE? Really? I thought it was just a novel trilogy.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  12:50:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
YES. There are a lot of literal Realms-shaking happening in that trilogy.

Go to Top of Page

Acolyte Thirteen
Seeker

93 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  12:56:36  Show Profile  Visit Acolyte Thirteen's Homepage Send Acolyte Thirteen a Private Message
Wooly Rupert, what are your thoughts regarding "The Twilight War" trilogy by Paul S. Kemp?
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  13:30:10  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
I'll be short and sweet about this. As a Realms-addict - the Spellplague. Although, as an FR DM I'm not complaining, because the timejump gives me a stable environment in the 1350s to work with.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  14:02:47  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Acolyte Thirteen

If a deity is not listed in FRCG, has that deity been culled from the Realms??

Like most of FR4e, if it's not stated then more or less it remains unchanged. Take tons of the cities and locale NOT listed on the FRCG map. They might not be listed, but there still there unless otherwise taken out (like through a novel or DDi article).

And while they culled the Pantheon quite a lot for FR, it still has 2 to 3 times the amount of Deities and Exarchs that any other published setting has.

As for the question of the thread, for me it comes down to a few quibbles I have. I don't like the ToT on a grand scale save it now keeps the Deities in-line. They have to accept homage from their patrons on the Material plane and I like that.

The Dragon Rage was something I've never even read a novel about or heard talked that much about so I'd have to say that it's the worst because it was sorta pointless (though I can't make an accurate opinion since I don't know anything about it).

Go to Top of Page

Acolyte Thirteen
Seeker

93 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  16:02:54  Show Profile  Visit Acolyte Thirteen's Homepage Send Acolyte Thirteen a Private Message
Interesting point, especially since Candlekeep is generally regarded as a satellite state of Grognardia!
Although the Lady Penitent books eliminated, what, three deities? Is this really 'culling' the pantheons of the Realms? Besides Helm, what other deitied were eliminated in Print, as opposed to having no 4e development?
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:

If a deity is not listed in FRCG, has that deity been culled from the Realms??

Like most of FR4e, if it's not stated then more or less it remains unchanged. Take tons of the cities and locale NOT listed on the FRCG map. They might not be listed, but there still there unless otherwise taken out (like through a novel or DDi article).

And while they culled the Pantheon quite a lot for FR, it still has 2 to 3 times the amount of Deities and Exarchs that any other published setting has.

As for the question of the thread, for me it comes down to a few quibbles I have. I don't like the ToT on a grand scale save it now keeps the Deities in-line. They have to accept homage from their patrons on the Material plane and I like that.

The Dragon Rage was something I've never even read a novel about or heard talked that much about so I'd have to say that it's the worst because it was sorta pointless (though I can't make an accurate opinion since I don't know anything about it).

Go to Top of Page

Acolyte Thirteen
Seeker

93 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  16:14:40  Show Profile  Visit Acolyte Thirteen's Homepage Send Acolyte Thirteen a Private Message
Oh, and I would like to add that the RSE that was the most poorly handled, in my opinion, was the RETURN OF MYSTRA. The whole thing comes out of nowhere, as opposed to the years of development over numerous products for the Murder of Mystra.
Indeed, after a lengthy novel rife with poor exposition, the closest thing to a 'climax' is in the Epilougue. Mystra's Return is never explained. A truly Realms Shaking Event, but with no further development. Too much, too fast!!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  18:03:37  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message
quote:

Interesting point, especially since Candlekeep is generally regarded as a satellite state of Grognardia!
Although the Lady Penitent books eliminated, what, three deities? Is this really 'culling' the pantheons of the Realms? Besides Helm, what other deitied were eliminated in Print, as opposed to having no 4e development?

Well....

• Tyr went off into the Abyss to kill as many demons as possible on a suicide mission. He was so upset with himself over killing Helm he left Celestia to Torm, Ilmater, and Bahamut to go down in a blaze of glory.

• Lathander sorta died and became Amaunator (and LG to boot!)

• There was a great battle between the Good-aligned dwarven gods and the evil-aligned dwarven gods and most (close to all) of the Duergar Gods were killed off along with a few (1 or 2 at least) good-aligned gods.

• Talos was revealed as an aspect of Grummsh and Sehanine Moonbow was revealed as an aspect of Selune. These really PO'ed Realms fans (espically those fans of Sehanine) because apparently some can't comprehend the fact that deities can change gender and race.

Additions include:

• Fzoul is an Exarch of Bane now.

• [*]Obould is an Exarch of Gruumsh now.

And if you don't know what an Exarch is, it's sorta like a demi-human or lesser deity. An example is the Red Knight as an Exarch of Tempus.

Edited by - Diffan on 10 Nov 2010 18:17:23
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  18:14:26  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
Lady Penitant actually eliminated five deities- Selvatarm, Ghaunadaur, Kiaransalee, Vaerhaun, and Eilistraee. It also resulted in the death of one of the Seven Sisters. (Quilue)

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Edited by - Alystra Illianniis on 10 Nov 2010 18:22:31
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  20:37:44  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message
Only in this bastion of negativity for a second . . .

quote:

Besides Helm, what other deities were eliminated in Print, as opposed to having no 4e development?
(Emphasis mine)

Clearly you haven't read Downshadow.

[And with that, the Master of the Shameless Plug sneaks off as quickly as possible!]

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  21:53:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
If nothing else, this thread has prompted me to finally read Archwizards, and perhaps the Dracorage novels afterward.

Bear in-mind I tend to read most FR novels to extract the lore, not so much for the story, and several of you have pointed to events that I have huge holes in my FR knowledge about (like what happened when the Shades returned).

As for Lady Putrescent, I will still avoid that like the plague. My mind is still reeling over WotSQ (in its absurdity, discontinuity {from novel to novel}, and over-all uselessness).

It ended with Lolth becoming a god.

Wow... how utterly... UN-interesting. (insert snoring smiley here).

I would have to reluctantly agree with Dennis, however, that the characters (however poorly portrayed between authors) were the one savings grace of that series. Too bad they horribly killed-off everyone who was even mildly interesting. ('Horribly' as in BAD plot, not as in how the deaths occurred... which I can't even remember the details of, that's how non-relevant they were).

Poor Lisa Smedman - the only author I have 'sworn-off for life'. She was handed a dufflebag full of doo-doo and told to turn it into a story. She should sue them for sabotaging her career (unfortunately, acceptance of contract negates her ability to do so).

When you are handed a VERY bad set of story-elements, you should just walk-away. I know of at least one Realms author who did precisely that. Money isn't everything.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Nov 2010 21:57:58
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  22:13:11  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
"It ended with Lolth becoming a god."

MT, shouldn't that read "more powerful god"? Cause that's really what happened. She was busy subsuming her most powerful subordinates, and probably the souls of most of her followers in the Abyss. At least that's what I got from it.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  23:00:40  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Spellplague.

+1

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  23:13:48  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
quote:
Alystra Illianniis:
"It ended with Lolth becoming a god."
... shouldn't that read "more powerful god"?
Remember that in the earliest rules editions Lolth (like Orcus, Mephisto, and Asmodeus) was just another super fiend. In Lolth's case a tremendously powerful - a scary, insanely powerful - demon lord who ruled some few layers of the Abyss and the hearts of many millions of hot Drow priestesses across countless worlds. A goddess in all but name, but still not a goddess. When you looked for Lolth you pulled out your Monster Manual instead of your Deities and Demigods.

Later game editions established a sensible system of divine ranking and bumped these worthies up to their appropriate divine stations. (And unfortunately chose to retcon things with some Orwellian handwaving of past lore to pretend this is the way things "always" were and thus cause an endless Blood War between the devilish grognards and the fiendish youth which still echoes today across the infinite planes.)

I think this is tacitly acknowledged and implied in the writing style of this novel ... which cleverly manages to get Lolth's promotion done while also remaining carefully ambivalent. "Lolth became a goddess" and "Lolth became a more powerful goddess" are both valid interpretations.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 10 Nov 2010 23:30:24
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  23:31:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

If nothing else, this thread has prompted me to finally read Archwizards, and perhaps the Dracorage novels afterward.

I think you should. Who knows, you might find some 'saving grace' in them.

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

When you are handed a VERY bad set of story-elements, you should just walk-away. I know of at least one Realms author who did precisely that. Money isn't everything.

Interesting. That author's pretty dauntless. Care to reveal who that is?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  23:31:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Folks, I've received a certain number of PM-complaints about the tone and overall unnecessary negativity in this scroll. Thus, I'm temporarily sealing it, pending later review.

*Casts Seal Scroll*

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000