Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Bad Habits in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  15:50:54  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am always looking for ways to add character to my PC's. Having a bad habit is one of those things that can really become memorable when played right through roleplay. So my question is:
What bad habits do your (favorite) characters posses and can you provide some examples?

An example from FR fiction is Riven learning to smoke pipeweed from Jak; he is seen smoking from his given pipe in several scenes ever since their camp in the Shadowfell.

PS I wonder what region in Fearun is renowed for its quality pipeweed?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  16:52:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I heard Maztican Red was off-the-hook.

And in a world where a simple spell can cure you, why is smoking a bad habit (other then annoying those around you who don't)?

I ran a priest once who couldn't help but proselytize to everyone within listening range. Picture having a Jehovah Witness with you wherever you go (including into the heart of a dungeon when everyone is trying to be absolutely quiet).

My very first character was a Norseman who had to pick a fight wherever he went... which lead to my second character rather quickly.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  17:05:46  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does clumsiness count as a bad habit? I've got a gnome pyromancer/alchemist who is not only a pyromaniac, but is extremely clutzy. He has a tendancy to blow things up by accident- taverns, his own shop, houses..... He's been kicked out of three towns SO FAR.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  18:23:31  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obsessive shopping is another cool one to roleplay.

My noble cleric Baron Zeke Strohm (whose lost in the dreaded realm of Ravenloft) has an obsession with fancy clothes and hats. He is constantly looking for new ways to impress with his wardrobe and has a large collection of hats, jewelry and robes. He was simply devastated when half his wardrobe got lost when he was forced to part with his horse (in the saddlebags locked behind a very difficult lock there are several of his wardrobe oddities both in clerical and tethirian styles). He refound his interest by obsessing over Barovian clothing and is renewing his wardrobe with Ravenloftian style hats, beltbuckles and other knick-knacks he comes across.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

Artemel
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2010 :  13:53:20  Show Profile  Visit Artemel's Homepage Send Artemel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maps. One of my favorite characters has what can only be called a map fetish. He is literally unable to pass a map without studying it in detail, or if possible, buying/acquiring it. His obsession has actually led to two fights within the party. Once he passed by a map carved in the dungeon wall and absolutely demanded they stop so he could get a rubbing. The argument was memorable, but the second event was better...

In the middle of a running battle (actually fleeing for their lives), he found a room with maps from all over the planes. His party actually rendered him unconscious to get him away from there.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7973 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  16:23:42  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lots of Orcs? Fireball!
Lots more orcs? Fireball!
Priest of Talos (and minions)? Fireball!
Zhent patrol? Fireball!
Necromancer and Zombie horde? Fireball!
2 Kobolds? Fireball!

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  18:29:58  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, dont you want to ask - ack! *Gets Fireballed*

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7973 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  19:58:05  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do like the map fetish.

One of my players had a swashbuckler named Gilligan, the Turquise Blade, with an utterly ridiculous flair for appearance, showmanship, and pinache. He routinely spent every copper on the latest styles of finely tailored (turqoise) outfits. Yes, outfits, as in multiple layers of ruffled peacock clothing and matching accessories. Not a single min/max thought in his head outside of his fencing skills, not a single piece of armour beyond a turqoise-dyed codpiece (don't ask), the first character I ever saw that dumped "important" stats to gain high Charisma for no reason other than the player just wanted it. The character was decidedly mediocre, perhaps even pitiful, at the powergamer table we played in, but was certainly one of the most fondly remembered.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  21:15:13  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
And in a world where a simple spell can cure you, why is smoking a bad habit (other then annoying those around you who don't)?

Well that would only be available to those that have the coin or the connections. For those that have them, then the question of whether the god who is providing the divine energy would look kindly on the matter.

Though thinking of this issue it occurs to me that being an adventurer, doing the work of a god, certainly has it's nice fringe benefits of a nice healthcare system! LOL

A peasant coal miner decides to go out to become an adventurer, in order to have one those HEAL spells cast upon him. All to get his black lung taken care of!

That'd be pretty funny, playing a character with a Con of 16, but you play him as if he has a Con of 8, until that day you get that heal spell placed upon him. =)

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7973 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  22:19:37  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That nice healthcare system is needed to fix the problems caused by exposure to oozes, slimes, gellies, rot grubs, cerebral parasites, poisons, acids, burning, blasting, freezing, disintigrating, falling, crushing, suffocating, being drained and enervated, plus suffering any of a thousand other things ... and oh yeah, being clawed, bitten, chopped, bludgeoned, and beaten apart as well. Makes me wonder why these dead guys would even want to return.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2010 :  04:24:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I played a 2E thief with the Swashbuckler kit... He spent extra money on clothes, carried a hammock with a collapsible frame so he wouldn't have to sleep on the ground, and slept with a stuff bear.

He also once used a scented candle to give a sleeping guard an aromatic hotfoot. The guard had some stinky feet, so my thief decided to take care of that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2010 :  06:34:55  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... My drow bard is an incorrigible flirt- and a bit of a pervert at times. He once spied on the two females in the party while they were bathing- and almost got a shuriken in the head for it. He's also somewhat vain about his hair. If it gets so much as singed, he goes ballistic! Being from a noble house, he also will not wear anything less than the best. He's fond of silk, velvet, and anything form-fitting that shows off his legs. And he's an unrepentant prankster. Yup, the boy's full of odd habits.

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2010 :  08:41:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Travelling the 'crimson road' is an utterly bad habit. I remember the warlock Japhet from the Abolethic Sovereignty trilogy.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Acolyte Thirteen
Seeker

93 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2010 :  14:38:14  Show Profile  Visit Acolyte Thirteen's Homepage Send Acolyte Thirteen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can concur re: Lothir's perversions! He once attempted to sexually assault an Imaskari archmage for the Year 4000 DR in the Candlekeep Inn! Luckily, this Archmage was under the effect of Srinshee's Spell Shift, and was able to escape Lothir's homosexual overtures!!

Sexual assault just *might* just cross the line from 'bad habit' to 'felonious behavior'!

quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Hmm... My drow bard is an incorrigible flirt- and a bit of a pervert at times. He once spied on the two females in the party while they were bathing- and almost got a shuriken in the head for it. He's also somewhat vain about his hair. If it gets so much as singed, he goes ballistic! Being from a noble house, he also will not wear anything less than the best. He's fond of silk, velvet, and anything form-fitting that shows off his legs. And he's an unrepentant prankster. Yup, the boy's full of odd habits.

Go to Top of Page

Acolyte Thirteen
Seeker

93 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2010 :  14:42:15  Show Profile  Visit Acolyte Thirteen's Homepage Send Acolyte Thirteen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is 'the crimson road'?

quote:
Originally posted by dennis

Travelling the 'crimson road' is an utterly bad habit. I remember the warlock Japhet from the Abolethic Sovereignty trilogy.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7973 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2010 :  15:30:02  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is a path of blood and gore.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2010 :  15:56:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Acolyte Thirteen

What is 'the crimson road'?

quote:
Originally posted by dennis

It's a 'condition' that one who uses 'traveler's dust' (the Realms version of drugs) suffers. Signs of the said dusts' users include trembling hands, sometimes slurred speech, and most telling, of course, eyes the color of blood. It was banned in most civilized places because all who used it died, sooner rather than later. Japhet on the other hand is one (actually the only one I know of) who survived the 'addiction' ---thanks to his 'pact' with the Lord of Bats.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2010 :  17:08:33  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Acolyte Thirteen

I can concur re: Lothir's perversions! He once attempted to sexually assault an Imaskari archmage for the Year 4000 DR in the Candlekeep Inn! Luckily, this Archmage was under the effect of Srinshee's Spell Shift, and was able to escape Lothir's homosexual overtures!!

Sexual assault just *might* just cross the line from 'bad habit' to 'felonious behavior'!

quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

A minor note (to clear up any misconceptions):
1: That incident was NOT an assault of any kind- simply an attempt at embarrassment to remove a percieved threat without resorting to violence. See # 2 for reasons.
2: It had nothing at all to do with his sexuality- sorry to disappoint anyone, but he does NOT swing that way. (And anyone who knows him and his background, or has read my bg story, would know WHY.) That particular incident was intended as a prank. A rather juvenile one, perhaps, but NOT any any way a "sexual assault/overture/etc."!
He was simply annoyed by an obviously crazy person's continued rambling, and decided to use humiliation as a removal tactic. 9The lad abhors violance, and was in fact slightly angry at having said "mage" whip out a sword on him and wave it in his face, even going so far as to cut him when he attempted to push it aside. Perfectly understandable to want that person gone...
3: The so-called "assault" was nothing more than a clothes-removal spell, which he also occasionally uses against hard-to-hit- fighters in full armor in battle. (Great for reducing AC!!) He did this only AFTER said Imaskari had already pulled out a sword in violation of the inn's rules. Had no harmful or detrimental effect, and did not directly "attack" the person in question. So much for "assault".... More like "non-violent self-defense".

Just so everyone understands the circumstances....

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Acolyte Thirteen
Seeker

93 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2010 :  20:50:01  Show Profile  Visit Acolyte Thirteen's Homepage Send Acolyte Thirteen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Hey dudes, writing this post from a jail-cell. Managed to sneak my blackberry in!! )

On the way home I attempted to strip the clothing off an attractive lady on the way home! I thought it would be a hilarious, *perhaps* juvenile, prank!! I had just managed to toss her skirt into the street when a policeman tackled me! Can you believe that! Why in the world would the police arrest me!?

Anyway, I'm sure my lawyer will get it worked out! (For a 8k retainer, she'd better!) I'll keep you guys posted, as details emerge! As long as my battery holds, that!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2010 :  22:57:30  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yes. That's VERY funny. *digs in purse for troll-repellant*

Y'know, there's a BIG difference between snapping one's fingers in a simple spell and physically TACKLING someone who is likely to violently attack back. I guess low humor is just not some peoples' cup of tea....

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  00:40:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I think we need to find our way back to the original topic. NOW.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  00:54:21  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, does a dwarf battlerager in spiked armor who sleeps beside his war boar mount count? Who likes to launch himslef from the saddle at opponents? Not bad in itself, except that hes' VERY protective of the pig, and never cleans his armor afterwards! He's a bit nuts, obviously. and usually drunk. One of my hubby's PC's.

We also had a party member who was a ghost elf, and kept glowing at inopportune moments. We called him the night-light...

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  04:31:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Kiril's habit is bad. Drinking is fine. But to have a self-refilling wine bottle so you could drink almost anywhere and anytime? Hmm, that's kinda prone to abuse. Ergo, bad.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  06:23:17  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does Fearun have any AA chapters? LOL! Hubby's dwarf is just as bad. He carries a full cast of dwarven spirits everywhere he goes.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7973 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  07:02:00  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He needs Bucknard's Everful Beer Keg. I'm not sure if the item exists but I did once travel onboard a ship equipped with Bucknard's Barrel of Endless Salted Herring (and a gnarled pirate chef who claimed to possess an equally endless supply of salted herring recipes). I still have nightmares about it.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  07:18:57  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arrgh, matey! Methinks that be a FINE item for me drow pirates! No, the dwarf prefers his dwarven spirits. (stronger than ale or beer!) However, he DID have the bright (for him- Int 9) idea of finding a gnome to make a saddle-pult for him....

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7973 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  20:03:03  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A drunken dwarven battlerager being saddle-pulted into the fray off his war boar is indeed a nasty addication I'd want to avoid. And I thought all those weed-smoking halflings were bad.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  20:22:17  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, my other half is a little nuts himself, go figure. He uttered the best in-game line I ever heard once when an NPC was describing a group of Spelljamming gun smugglers to the party, and he scratched his head and said "Orcs don't come in blue!" (They were Arcanes, and he thought any bad thing that happened was caused by orcs.) Not the brightest crayon in the box, but loads of fun!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  20:40:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my old (rather silly) GH campaign, my 'High' Elves were literally that. Sylvan Silver was one of the finest... errr ... 'Pipeweeds'... one could buy (if one could find some, and then convince the Elf in question to actually part with a parcel).

My Halflings weren't dopeheads though... they were... ummm... something else...

I ran with another player (in a C&S campaign, not D&D) that portrayed her werewolf character as 'always in-heat', if you catch my drift. It lead to some VERY funny situations.

Until she tried to seduce my Volja (Virgin Priestess of Odin). The other players couldn't stop laughing as she chased me around and around a table at the Inn.

We never did make it out of the Inn during that session....

I REALLY miss that group.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Nov 2010 20:41:56
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000