Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Good sources for info on Sembia?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Artemel
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2010 :  14:21:02  Show Profile  Visit Artemel's Homepage Send Artemel a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've been looking for a good source for information on Sembia, but all I have found feels more like snippets than whole texts. Is there a source out there that I am missing that brings Sembia to life? Cormyr has a boxed set and a Volo's guide, was anything like that done for Sembia?

Thanks in advance.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2010 :  15:12:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately not. Sembia wasn't a heavily detailed region in the older Realmslore... mostly because TSR left it as a area for DM's to detail.

Popular sources include:-

"Land of Merchants" [POLYHEDRON #94] and Cult of the Dragon pgs. 33–34.

"Rand's Travelogue:- Caravans and Trading Companies in Sembia" -- http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/fx20010905b

"Rand's Travelogue: More Old Empires and Sembia!" -- http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp%3Fx%3Dfr/fx20020116rt

"Realmslore:- The Flourishing Career of Melvos Hammerstars" -- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

"Realmslore: The Matchmaker of Sembia" -- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp%3Fx%3Ddnd/rl/20030709a

See Ed's replies here at Candlekeep also.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2010 :  17:43:40  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage, your link collection never stops impressing me!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2010 :  18:53:18  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Sage, your link collection never stops impressing me!

That's why he's the Sage, and I am not , but I'd add an additional source: the Forgotten Realms Adventures hardback, which contains two-page descriptions of most of Sembia's major cities.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2010 :  22:58:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd also suggest most of the "Sembia" novels too, since they provide some interesting tidbits on what life is really like in some places around the region -- especially Selgaunt.

And I'm actually in the process of compiling most of the relevant Sembian/Selgauntan lore from the "Sembia" series. It'll likely all be included in a easy-to-reference PDF eventually.

Go to Top of Page

Artemel
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2010 :  23:30:09  Show Profile  Visit Artemel's Homepage Send Artemel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information. I was hoping I had somehow overlooked a nicely written book about Sembia. My current project will simply take a little bit longer as I compile all the info on Sembia. >_>
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2010 :  00:22:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'd also suggest most of the "Sembia" novels too, since they provide some interesting tidbits on what life is really like in some places around the region -- especially Selgaunt.

And I'm actually in the process of compiling most of the relevant Sembian/Selgauntan lore from the "Sembia" series. It'll likely all be included in a easy-to-reference PDF eventually.

Eventually, in this case, meaning at about the same time that 8th Edition comes out.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2010 :  03:40:15  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul Kemp's novels about Cale and company have quite a bit of lore on Sembia and surrounding areas.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2010 :  04:47:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Eventually, in this case, meaning at about the same time that 8th Edition comes out.
Hmmm. That might be pushing it.

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2010 :  12:20:34  Show Profile  Visit Mouse's Homepage Send Mouse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't ever sure, but the Sembia novels as well as it's mercantile and intrigue-driven politics seemed to make Sembia rather like Renaissance Italy to me, sort of like how Amn is clearly Spain-like (the Amnish in the Mazteca game are clearly some form of Spanish Conquistadors).

"Barbarians are more polite then civilized men, for civilized men know they may be rude to another without having their skulls cleaved open as a general thing."
-Conan
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2010 :  14:45:50  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mouse

I wasn't ever sure, but the Sembia novels as well as it's mercantile and intrigue-driven politics seemed to make Sembia rather like Renaissance Italy to me, sort of like how Amn is clearly Spain-like (the Amnish in the Mazteca game are clearly some form of Spanish Conquistadors).

Well, the Maztica series and products are not the best source where Amn is concerned. The culture should be more like the Moorish Spain. If you are using real world analogies that is. In general it is difficult to find real world equivalents to Realms cultures and areas.
Go to Top of Page

pruano
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  14:30:10  Show Profile  Visit pruano's Homepage Send pruano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Any progress on this front?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  14:59:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pruano

quote:

Actually, yes. I'm presently working through the last two novels. So, perhaps, soon... ish.

Go to Top of Page

pruano
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  17:26:34  Show Profile  Visit pruano's Homepage Send pruano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by pruano

quote:

Actually, yes. I'm presently working through the last two novels. So, perhaps, soon... ish.

Great, excellent work as always, and much appreciated
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000