Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Display questions
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2010 :  23:34:39  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anybody here find it difficult to read this text?

Or have any problems reading this one?

Or any of these words: Faerûn, ½-Elf, ©2010, D&D®, Café, über?

And going off-topic right in the middle of OP ...

What are these Smilies supposed to indicate?

[/Ayrik]

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  00:30:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Does anybody here find it difficult to read this text?

Or have any problems reading this one?

Or any of these words: Faerûn, ½-Elf, ©2010, D&D®, Café, über?
Sounds to me like your browser may be at fault. Often, when using a specifically older version of a particular browser, such characters/text/formatting may not appear correctly.

Which browser are you using?
quote:
And going off-topic right in the middle of OP ...

What are these Smilies supposed to indicate?

One is the "Eight-Ball," while the other is "The King." The first has the regular meaning it does in real-life, while I've always been inclined to assume the second is simply ego-building.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  00:34:55  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I fear my display issues are caused not by my browser but by my cantankerous graphic drivers. Cleartype helps a bit.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  01:13:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would've been my next suggestion.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  01:22:26  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol, thanx anyhow, Sage. A wonderful reason to upgrade my hardware, heehee.

But that small text is awfully hard to read. And I've got a bloody huge monitor and I'm not that old yet.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  05:08:51  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well language could be a problem, in the past THO has reported Ed could not post û , however I go with browser settings and/or hardware conflicts.

When you talk about small text, this clearly indicates an interface problem. My monitor is average for 3 years ago standard - that is not large. The text is very readable from two to three feet away. I would strongly advise seeing to your software, which might include settings for your hardware. I have not had any problems reading Candlekeep with Windows 95 using Netscape. the text sized well enough then and I never had a problem since.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  03:16:59  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My display issues had something to do with corrupt files, either DirectX or driver files. Whatever the cause, it has been fully remedied.

Lately I've been having a lot of intermittent problems scrying the Candlekeep forums through the mists ... I only see ominous floating text which always reads "server error ASP 0113". This has affected me while using different scrying devices scattered throughout my city, and has only been a persistent problem for about 3-4 days now but appears to be growing worse.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 18 Nov 2010 03:18:24
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  04:10:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My display issues had something to do with corrupt files, either DirectX or driver files. Whatever the cause, it has been fully remedied.

Lately I've been having a lot of intermittent problems scrying the Candlekeep forums through the mists ... I only see ominous floating text which always reads "server error ASP 0113". This has affected me while using different scrying devices scattered throughout my city, and has only been a persistent problem for about 3-4 days now but appears to be growing worse.

The Sage's gremlins have been on the loose, of late.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  04:11:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Well language could be a problem, in the past THO has reported Ed could not post û , however I go with browser settings and/or hardware conflicts.

I think that's a combination of his email client and him being on an old Mac.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  05:17:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

The Sage's gremlins have been on the loose, of late.

Indeed. The regular containment methods are just proving too ineffective. I tell you... they're learning faster than I can compensate.
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I think that's a combination of his email client and him being on an old Mac.

Probably. Though I've seen similar problems with the older PC-types too.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  07:09:55  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[Alt-0251] = û

Ah, so the gremlin gatekeepers think I'm an extraplanar spam fiend?

Note that google and yahoo have deployed *huge* waves of mindless automatons in this last week - though I'd expect these would, as always, politely declare their true names and obey all the strictures of the ROBOTS.TXT codex that are duly read upon entry.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 18 Nov 2010 07:16:41
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  07:30:14  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I want Win 3.1 to still work. *wink* It had the best file manager that I recall.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  08:03:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I want Win 3.1 to still work. *wink* It had the best file manager that I recall.

Heh. I've still got an old Nimrod that runs Windows 3.1/3.11. Good times!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  11:08:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw Windows 3.11 when I was going to school to learn computers... My first comment was asking where the rest of the OS was!

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  14:09:36  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It *MAY* also be because of what font you have chosen to display. Browsers usually come with the settings to display the font that the page wants, but you can override this to have pages always display in a font chosen by you. And if you choose a font that doesn't have those characters mapped, you'll run into problems.

Granted, this is a one-in-a-million issue, since most people don't change the fonts and all, but there are some of us who do this.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  15:59:30  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Ashe - but it was a some kind of DirectX/Catalyst driver issue, completely fixed now. I even turned ClearType off; no real improvement (now) and a tiny bit of a display performance hit anyhow.

I'm excessively careful about fonting (worked as a graphic designer, then vinyl cutter as my accidental first career while paying for school, I know more about the Font Side than you can possibly imagine [humming Fontsaber noises]) and I rarely ever mess around with fonts (even when forging webpages) because I prefer a consistent default appearance on both ends of the web across every out-of-the-box computer in the cosmos.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  03:22:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The first has the regular meaning it does in real-life, while I've always been inclined to assume the second is simply ego-building.

Indeed.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000