Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Candlekeep - server problems
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  16:53:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it makes things easier, you can all just blame me.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  16:59:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I'm happy to say that accessing the site [posting, opening scrolls, editing posts, searching] has been incredibly fast for the whole week...I don't even have problems with editing my posts anymore.

Shhhhhh!!! Thou shalt jinx the place, with uttering such words! The gremlins will hear thee and seek to cause havoc!

Actually, now that I've been re-examining the contents of this scroll... maybe we should all be blaming Dennis!

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  17:06:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

I'm happy to say that accessing the site [posting, opening scrolls, editing posts, searching] has been incredibly fast for the whole week...I don't even have problems with editing my posts anymore.

Shhhhhh!!! Thou shalt jinx the place, with uttering such words! The gremlins will hear thee and seek to cause havoc!

Actually, now that I've been re-examining the contents of this scroll... maybe we should all be blaming Dennis!

Oh no! I should have deleted that post!

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  17:25:25  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't know why, but I had a cold shiver when I read Dennis's post...

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  17:26:18  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Indeed, Sage, indeed

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  21:11:40  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much, dear Alaundo, for your efforts to restore our beloved Candlekeep!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  22:11:07  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed, thanks for restoring Candlekeep so promptly.

It makes me wonder if Candlekeep in Faerūn has some kind of magical protections which simply make the entire island/peninsula vanish during storms and emergencies.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  12:12:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

It makes me wonder if Candlekeep in Faerūn has some kind of magical protections which simply make the entire island/peninsula vanish during storms and emergencies.

CK 2.0 will have that.

Go to Top of Page

vallon
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  19:39:22  Show Profile Send vallon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, indeed! It's all your fault, Dennis.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  19:47:43  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I must have miscast a spell that inadvertently released the gremlins and other invisible, malevolent creatures from the abyss. Or maybe my new avatar brings bad luck.

Go to Top of Page

vallon
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  19:55:56  Show Profile Send vallon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I must have miscast a spell that inadvertently released the gremlins and other invisible, malevolent creatures from the abyss. Or maybe my new avatar brings bad luck.

Ahh...But it is a cool avatar.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  19:59:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks. But sometimes coolness/beauty is a curse.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  11:17:53  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The CK forums have been working quite flawlessly (for me) for months, congrats on whatever you did, Alaundo and Sage and Wooly Hamster, your efforts are noticed and appreciated.

Just a heads up ... everything seems to still be working flawlessly. But in recent days the awesomely quick response has been slowing down, it's starting to get a little hesitant and sluggish. I notice that post counts and Active Topics often take a few minutes to correctly update, seems to be something weird going on (and almost timing out) in the server cross traffic. Hopefully it's just a transient self-correcting thing, but thought I'd report just in case it's a symptom of badness. Especially since the latest batch of MySQL extension updates just floated out.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  02:07:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The CK forums have been working quite flawlessly (for me) for months, congrats on whatever you did, Alaundo and Sage and Wooly Hamster, your efforts are noticed and appreciated.

Just a heads up ... everything seems to still be working flawlessly. But in recent days the awesomely quick response has been slowing down, it's starting to get a little hesitant and sluggish. I notice that post counts and Active Topics often take a few minutes to correctly update, seems to be something weird going on (and almost timing out) in the server cross traffic. Hopefully it's just a transient self-correcting thing, but thought I'd report just in case it's a symptom of badness. Especially since the latest batch of MySQL extension updates just floated out.

I'm just waiting for it.

Every time any scribe makes a particular comment about things running smoothly at Candlekeep -- with respect to the server -- we either suffer an outage shortly thereafter, or become briefly plagued by ASP time-out issues.

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Jan 2012 02:08:55
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  02:53:15  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooops. Perhaps we can avert Beshaba's attention by bemoaning our ill-fortuned hardships instead?

Stupid Candlekeep servers are falling apart. Can hardly get a single page to load, and it takes forever, and times out repeatedly. Some vandal put graffiti on the logo. Got a speeding ticket today. And the site keeps dumping my cookies. I blame Wooly.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  04:13:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ooops. Perhaps we can avert Beshaba's attention by bemoaning our ill-fortuned hardships instead?

Stupid Candlekeep servers are falling apart. Can hardly get a single page to load, and it takes forever, and times out repeatedly. Some vandal put graffiti on the logo. Got a speeding ticket today. And the site keeps dumping my cookies. I blame Wooly.

Don't blame me, Sage is the Keeper of Gremlins!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  04:14:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, the last few days, I've received several PMs... And the PM page seems to be very, very slow every time I go into it.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  04:24:33  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blame the routers, I have not experienced any problems the last month or so.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  04:44:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Don't blame me, Sage is the Keeper of Gremlins!

Actually, little Narnra has adopted that duty now. She even has her own little laptop that keeps all my previous incarnations of gremlin programs in a virtual cage so she can watch them grow and tinker with their basic programming when she likes.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  04:45:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, the last few days, I've received several PMs... And the PM page seems to be very, very slow every time I go into it.

I've noticed the same with my own, and I suspect it may have to do with the overall number of PMs stored within. Clearing a few of the oldest messages resulted in a somewhat more rapid access time.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  06:42:12  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes, the site has been flawless recently. May Lady Luck continue to smile at us!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  15:30:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I've noticed the same with my own, and I suspect it may have to do with the overall number of PMs stored within. Clearing a few of the oldest messages resulted in a somewhat more rapid access time.

May have to do that, myself... I've got some really old PMs, still.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  01:28:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

May have to do that, myself... I've got some really old PMs, still.

It's a practice I've established a habit for, now, given that my original Inbox used to stretch all the way back to the first messages I received when I signed up in late 2002.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  02:58:07  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Just a minor problem...Some threads in "Active Topics" do not update. I can still see some threads I last visited and posted about 12 hours ago...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  03:04:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just a minor problem...Some threads in "Active Topics" do not update. I can still see some threads I last visited and posted about 12 hours ago...

That could simply be the result of your browser maintaining cookies for certain scrolls.

I haven't seen that problem myself. Anyone else?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  03:27:34  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

That could simply be the result of your browser maintaining cookies for certain scrolls.

I always clear cache and cookies before accessing the site... And it appears like the un-updated threads are random, because some are obviously updated.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  05:00:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd thought the cookies were all-or-nothing, not scroll-selective.

But speaking of cookies, your browser could be saving or dumping history as it likes, regardless of user settings. IE is the worst offender, but FF and Opera are guilty as well.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  03:30:56  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, not long ago I posted I was not seeing problems. I need to correct that statement.

Right now, it appears sometimes I am reported as have visited and read posts prior to last time I visited. This has occurred twice so far in the last week.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2012 :  13:05:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I always clear cache and cookies before accessing the site... And it appears like the un-updated threads are random, because some are obviously updated.

It looks like it's a recurring issue. I'm now seeing two threads in Active Topics where I last posted nearly 20 hours ago.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2012 :  14:55:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Curious.

I'm still not encountering the problem, and I have had no reports from other scribes. I'm inclined to assume this may still be an issue with your browser, but I'll check what I can from our side, just in case.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000