Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Candlekeep - server problems
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2011 :  09:04:39  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Aye, indeed Sage. I'm afraid we just have to grin and bear such outages. With Candlekeep v2 comes a move to a new server and web host, which i'm currently using for other means and is proving thus far to be far superiour and more reliable.

In the meantime, apologies for the inconvenience.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2011 :  13:12:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Despite my good connection, pages tend to take quite a long while to load... Anyone else experiencing the same?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2011 :  13:41:01  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually I'll happily report that Candlekeep has been quite quick and responsive at my end in recent weeks. Sorry, Dennis.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2011 :  13:53:38  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Good for you. Does geography have to do with it? Or maybe just another effect of the CK v.2 update?

I can browse other sites and forums just fine...But here in the 'Keep, whether I just open a scroll to read, or post, or edit, loading sometimes takes a long time...

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2011 :  14:22:23  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Short answer: yes, geography is a very big factor. All that data has to move around the world through inefficiently routed conduits which service different regions, and internet packets often travel indirectly through countless intermediate machines en route to their destinations. Quirks of geography might mean that you or I suddenly suffer from terrible latency, delays, and unreliability simply because all the people in some neighbouring country all woke up and are placing peak demands on available bandwidth. Any of the machines between source and destination can break the connection (and thus redirect it through some alternate route) when packets are lost to timeouts. All you can really do is ensure the source and destination computers work flawlessly, connect through a decent ISP, and hope for the best.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 29 Aug 2011 14:23:20
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2011 :  18:13:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Despite my good connection, pages tend to take quite a long while to load... Anyone else experiencing the same?

I had that issue a few days ago, but I was in a dinky town in Georgia, in a hotel with a very spotty wireless connection. Earlier that day I was fine, in an even smaller town in Georgia.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2011 :  23:03:29  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haha, wireless is another set of problems altogether. Reliability, performance, and security will never be as good as landlines, no matter what the marketing claims ... although yes, it does get a bit better with each new standard.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  07:39:22  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm happy to say that accessing the site [posting, opening scrolls, editing posts, searching] has been incredibly fast for the whole week...I don't even have problems with editing my posts anymore.

Edited by - Dennis on 09 Sep 2011 07:41:11
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  09:58:35  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I'm happy to say that accessing the site [posting, opening scrolls, editing posts, searching] has been incredibly fast for the whole week...I don't even have problems with editing my posts anymore.

Shhhhhh!!! Thou shalt jinx the place, with uttering such words! The gremlins will hear thee and seek to cause havoc!

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2011 :  21:09:36  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Today the site has been down momst of the day for me, has anyone else experienced the same?

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2011 :  21:11:23  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius

Today the site has been down momst of the day for me, has anyone else experienced the same?

No. No I haven't.

Bluff check (1d20+21=34)

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2011 :  22:11:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sage's gremlins were once more on the loose...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  01:00:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It wasn't me this time... I swear.

Narnra must have left the the cage door open after feeding them.

[You've sunk to a new low, Sage. Shifting blame to your daughter. ]

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  01:17:51  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually I offer kudos instead of blame. The site's been notably snappy and responsive for me these recent weeks.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  06:32:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Actually I offer kudos instead of blame. The site's been notably snappy and responsive for me these recent weeks.

As do I.

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  08:08:56  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Until yesterday, the site was running extremely well, maybe it was a regional issue as I see noone else had problems

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  10:41:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Until yesterday, the site was running extremely well, maybe it was a regional issue as I see noone else had problems

If it was regional, it was a very large region.

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  10:47:42  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

LOL maybe it was just at my home then I'm so important they make special breakdowns just for me

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  11:47:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

LOL maybe it was just at my home then I'm so important they make special breakdowns just for me

Well, I couldn't get to the site, Kuje couldn't get to the site, and I believe Sage couldn't, either. That's Florida and New York in the US, and Down Under for the Sage. Big region.

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  12:11:47  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, I couldn't get to the site, Kuje couldn't get to the site, and I believe Sage couldn't, either. That's Florida and New York in the US, and Down Under for the Sage. Big region.

Didn't get it the first time, I thought you didn't have issues

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  10:52:04  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Wow. One Whole Week. That's a pretty LONG downtime. What happened?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  11:27:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The host had some issues.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  11:43:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hmm.... Hopefully it will not happen again in the near future.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  11:44:37  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For a week I've been getting a Catastrophic Failure message. I had feared the worst.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  12:01:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Same here. I actually saved the error. See below.

Provider error '8000ffff'
Catastrophic failure
/inc_header.asp, line 134

I thought it had something to do with my ISP, Smart. But when I tried accessing it in cafes subscribed to other ISPs, same thing happened...

Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  12:07:37  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought the worst if i'm honest.

Not having any updates or explanation was the worst bit, might it be a good idea to have a forum status update on the Candlekeep.com homepage? Just to let people know what's happening.

I wandered over to the Wizbro boards and a thread had been started there to let people communicate the issues at Candlekeep.

Very glad the site's back though
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  12:34:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Farrel

I thought the worst if i'm honest.

Not having any updates or explanation was the worst bit, might it be a good idea to have a forum status update on the Candlekeep.com homepage? Just to let people know what's happening.

Agreed. Mods, any thoughts on this?

quote:
Originally posted by Farrel

Very glad the site's back though.

Yes. Often, most specially because the thread's title has "problems" in it, I just stated the problem on my end without expressing how glad I was that the site was finally up.

Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  15:52:14  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought it was just me who was having this problem. You guys can't begin to understand the multitude of things I tried in order to access the site again. I reinstalled my browser, cleaned out the cookies and history....um....yeah and a lot of other things.

"A true warrior needs no sword" - Thors (Vinland Saga)
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  16:34:08  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally this works! Was so happy to see this screen

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  16:46:17  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Indeed, we're back, and certainly many hours lost sleep for myself

Thank ye for all the emails and comments during the downtime; it's nice to know that the old library was missed and that ye enjoy visiting the place.

As to the issue, after a lot of discussions with the web host, and their refusal to help, denial of a problem, passing the blame etc, it was stated to be due to Candlekeep being on a busy "application pool". I'm not entirely convinced as investigations pointed towards a Data Access driver problem (server side). Nevertheless, the host have now given an apology for the length of time to resolve the issue and have moved us to a "less busy" Application Pool, stating that we should not get any issues from now on.

So, phew, despite initial beliefs that things were indeed "catastropic" and trying all manner of means to get a forum back in one shape or another, we're now restored without any loss.

Enjoy the forums

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll