Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Candlekeep - server problems
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2012 :  15:24:00  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Perhaps. But I've been using FF for a long time, and it's only recently that this strange issue has been happening. It's not everyday though. It's random, and usually in threads that I myself made.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2012 :  19:08:08  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Sage
quote:
Ayrik
The CK forums have been working quite flawlessly (for me) for months, congrats on whatever you did, Alaundo and Sage and Wooly Hamster, your efforts are noticed and appreciated.
I'm just waiting for it.

Every time any scribe makes a particular comment about things running smoothly at Candlekeep -- with respect to the server -- we either suffer an outage shortly thereafter, or become briefly plagued by ASP time-out issues.
Heeheehee.

I suspect this time around the problem would be that recent developments have suddenly turned Candlekeep into a frenzied hotbed of activity. Bandwidth limitations are probably being approached or exceeded, and might persist until alignment of astrological billing cycles or until activity on Candlekeep smolders down to historically typical levels.

Note that Active Topics can drop out of sync because Candlekeep is distributed across several internal servers (separate computers) which sometimes fail to coordinate during periods of sustained peak traffic. Posts can be added to the database yet not be updated on Active Topics because the internal server traffic timed out before a response could be acknowledged. The first symptom is usually a large number of duplicate posts from impatient scribes.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2012 :  00:55:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:
Sage
quote:
Ayrik
The CK forums have been working quite flawlessly (for me) for months, congrats on whatever you did, Alaundo and Sage and Wooly Hamster, your efforts are noticed and appreciated.
I'm just waiting for it.

Every time any scribe makes a particular comment about things running smoothly at Candlekeep -- with respect to the server -- we either suffer an outage shortly thereafter, or become briefly plagued by ASP time-out issues.
Heeheehee.

I suspect this time around the problem would be that recent developments have suddenly turned Candlekeep into a frenzied hotbed of activity. Bandwidth limitations are probably being approached or exceeded, and might persist until alignment of astrological billing cycles or until activity on Candlekeep smolders down to historically typical levels.
That's a possibility.

Though, we've had similar [and even higher] levels of activity when 4e was first announced. I don't recall any bandwidth problems from that period.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2012 :  03:03:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The script error appeared once today...

Is this an indication some of the naughty gremlins are loose? Sage, strengthen the binding or put more locks in their prison.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2012 :  03:09:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe. I haven't checked the the prison seals for a while.

[I received two ASP errors at non-sequential intervals yesterday. I've not had any since, however.]

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2012 :  04:35:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Maybe. I haven't checked the the prison seals for a while.

[I received two ASP errors at non-sequential intervals yesterday. I've not had any since, however.]

I had some timeouts last week, but it's been good for me, since then.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2012 :  00:40:03  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. The pages load ever so slowly. It can't be my connection, because other sites are loading just fine. Also, I've got 3 ASP error. The pesky gremlins are on the loose again...

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2012 :  05:46:59  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Say it isn't so. I had a couple of time outs recently, but they weren't persistent.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 25 Mar 2012 06:38:31
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2012 :  06:38:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't had any problems on my end.

In fact, the site has been loading particularly well [and rapidly] for about the past fortnight.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2012 :  15:27:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I haven't had any problems on my end.

In fact, the site has been loading particularly well [and rapidly] for about the past fortnight.

I, too, haven't had any issues since my previous comment in this thread.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2012 :  18:37:00  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I experienced many timeouts using IE9. These affected about half the websites I tried to visit, but Candlekeep was among the worst and slowest. Fortunately, retrograding to IE8 resolved all issues. Candlekeep has been running flawlessly for months on my FF/ubuntu box at home.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2012 :  01:32:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

IE sucks, so no thanks.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2012 :  01:38:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I experienced many timeouts using IE9. These affected about half the websites I tried to visit, but Candlekeep was among the worst and slowest. Fortunately, retrograding to IE8 resolved all issues. Candlekeep has been running flawlessly for months on my FF/ubuntu box at home.

Indeed. And even the always-problematic SageBrowser hasn't been picking up on any of the usual errors either.

Which means that the site must be running well. Or, I've actually tweaked my homebrew browser enough to prevent the old problems I used to have with it, from occurring again. But I can't believe that's the case.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2012 :  04:43:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Very first day returning to the 'Keep after a few days and I'm greeted with ASP error again. Anyone else encountered the same?

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2012 :  05:05:47  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Very first day returning to the 'Keep after a few days and I'm greeted with ASP error again. Anyone else encountered the same?

Not by me. Not sure why you had an issue.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2012 :  05:16:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've not encountered any ASP time outs either.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2012 :  05:59:22  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

It appeared right after I logged in...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2012 :  15:21:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not I. Not seen any issues for a while.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2012 :  20:59:32  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

It appeared right after I logged in...

Even I get logged out from time to time, maybe once a month. I believe I had to login close to your time report, however do not keep a record of such timing.

ASP can be a result of many things, server load, server auto updating, router failure (data transmit error) or local computer system.

Seeing how the current report by only one user, I suspect strongly it is not likely Candlekeep code problem, though the serving host clearly might have had a few moments being unavailable. After that of course is transit or sending box.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2012 :  01:15:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Maybe. Though I never encountered the ASP error in all the other sites I visited, including a number of forums. Not in a very long while, that is.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2012 :  01:48:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe. Though I never encountered the ASP error in all the other sites I visited, including a number of forums. Not in a very long while, that is.

It's been quite some time since I last encountered any scripting errors here at Candlekeep. And that's even including when I've used the error-riddled SageBrowser to peruse the site.

Always things considered, the site and the server have been running smoothly for me.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2012 :  03:42:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It's been quite some time since I last encountered any scripting errors here at Candlekeep. And that's even including when I've used the error-riddled SageBrowser to peruse the site.

Always things considered, the site and the server have been running smoothly for me.

And considering that he's the Keeper of the Gremlins, that's saying something!

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2012 :  04:02:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Didn't he pass that job to his daughter?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2012 :  06:42:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

And considering that he's the Keeper of the Gremlins, that's saying something!

Maybe that should become an official Candlekeep rank -- Keeper of the Gremlins, kinda like Keeper of the Scrolls, eh?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2012 :  06:43:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Didn't he pass that job to his daughter?

Indeed, I did.

Narnra now stands as the official Keeper of the Gremlins, and that's a testament of her computer skills in and of themselves, because she's already showing an uncanny ability to fathom the myriad pathways of SageOS.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2012 :  06:55:38  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're not the only one, Dennis. The 'Keep froze on me twice today when trying to load the "Active Topics" page, and twice when attempting to post messages. I actually went back and deleted some multiple posts which appeared during one such time-out.

It's Lolth and this infernal "Rise of the Drow" nonsense, I tell ya. Chaos is afoot!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 15 Apr 2012 06:56:08
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2012 :  16:30:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

You're not the only one, Dennis. The 'Keep froze on me twice today when trying to load the "Active Topics" page, and twice when attempting to post messages. I actually went back and deleted some multiple posts which appeared during one such time-out.

It's Lolth and this infernal "Rise of the Drow" nonsense, I tell ya. Chaos is afoot!

She is about spiders, who spin webs -- and this is the World Wide Web... Hmmm...

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2012 :  04:11:22  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I could not access the forums two days ago... What happened? Was it just I or did it happen to some as well?

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2012 :  06:27:58  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had the same problem...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2012 :  06:33:06  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was an ISP problem I'm told.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000