Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Karsus' Power still alive
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

creyzi4zb12
Learned Scribe

Philippines
129 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2010 :  14:31:15  Show Profile  Visit creyzi4zb12's Homepage Send creyzi4zb12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So there was this book called Tome of Magic which states that some parts of Karsus' soul remained in the material plane, and that few binders are able to access his powers.
It was also stated that his powers are known as real-magic, in other words, magic that is different from the Weave/Shadoweave, and cannot be broken by ordinary means.
Does anybody have more info. about this?

orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2010 :  15:52:06  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From a 4E FR adventure (which brings you to Draigdurroch's Tower - name of adventure slips my mind), it talks about the Draigdurroch, a warlock, getting into a Dark Pact (a warlock pact introduced in the 4E FRPG) with the angry remnants of the divine essence of Karsus (or something to that effect). The adventure in question is available through Dungeon magazine download or in the Dungeon Magazine annual book.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2010 :  16:38:35  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Menace of the Icy Spire IIRC...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2010 :  17:15:35  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Menace of the Icy Spire IIRC...

Yes that is correct.

Edited by - Alisttair on 16 Nov 2010 17:15:54
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2010 :  18:41:14  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by creyzi4zb12

So there was this book called Tome of Magic which states that some parts of Karsus' soul remained in the material plane, and that few binders are able to access his powers.
It was also stated that his powers are known as real-magic, in other words, magic that is different from the Weave/Shadoweave, and cannot be broken by ordinary means.
Does anybody have more info. about this?

I remember reading that Karsus' fate described in the Tome of Magic was not Realm canon.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2010 :  19:48:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's really pretty good, so I would use it anyway (regardless of canon).

For any of you who have been following my train of thought in various threads, regarding deities and their power, I have come to the conclusion that real 'divine Energy' is nothing more then pure Radiant energy. A lot of my musings are based on old (1e/2e/3e) lore, but have actually taken firmer root within the 4e structure of things.

Anyhow, Karsus (as we know) tried to reach beyond mortal (Arcane/Weave) magic; he needed the power 'of the gods' to stop the Phaerimm (or so he thought.. or was mislead to believe...).

His first attempt brought him nothing but grief - that glop he dubbed 'Heavy magic'. That wasn't what he was after - that was actually a chunk of that stuff the Weave was designed to 'keep out'. He dumped it over the side and hit poor Wulgreth in the head (not only inducing spontaneous Lichdom, but also forcing him to become two separate people!)

When he was (briefly) successful of obtaining the power he sought - pure Divine (Radiant) energy - his mortal perceptions could not handle the enormous 'input' of his new godly perceptions and powers, and he was overwhelmed... and we know the result of that.

So, for a flickering moment, Karsus did indeed 'touch the Heavens', and like Icarus, the power burned him and he fell. Kinda symbolic, eh?

Anyhow, the mortal vessel that was Karsus - his physical form - was warped by those moments it was 'super-charged' with Radiant energy (which is why his remains are so much larger then he was in life). Unlike most deities, however, his physical form did not wind-up in the astral (he was but a 'momentary god'). I have to conjecture here that having never left the Prime Material, he never completed his apotheosis, which is why his form became trapped on the material Plane.

Regardless, because his body was infused with that Divine Energy, it still resonates with that power, and wiley mortals can figure out how to access it (the body of a 'dead god' may act as a conduit to Radiance). Also, because of the Law of Resonance (Law of Contagion in Authentic Theumaturgy), the body also has a magical connection to the Weave (through the power of Mystryl which he stole).

Which is why Shar wants a piece of it (thats in some adventure) - that resonance allows her to bypass some of mystra's Weave-based defenses (in the same way that diviners and other spellcasters often need a physical item that belonged to the target of their spells).

But I digress. As for the OP - as I have surmised in other threads, a person's 'soul' is nothing more then a little piece of Radiant Energy. Normal mortals contain so little of it, that only under extreme circumstances can anyone access it or use it (sacrifice, emotional duress, etc). However, Karsus' Radiant Energy was immensely boosted at the moment he stole Mystryl's power, so there is some residual energy left in the three pieces of his mortal form (which can be tapped into, like I said, by clever folk).

That energy is the 'power beyond the Weave' (as is Umbral Energy). We know from canon that the Weave acts as a filter for the uber-powerful energies that would destroy Toril (in that way, the Weave's primary function is along the lines of a 'force-Field'). These energies, both Radiant and Umbral, do not answer to the Weave in their pure, unfiltered form.

That's the 'real magic' you are looking for.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Nov 2010 19:54:25
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  04:19:34  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the surviving parts of Karsus's soul is just one blatant sign that WotC had long ago planned to resurrect him in the near (or distant) future. Perhaps the moment they tire of the Shades.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  04:36:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

I think the surviving parts of Karsus's soul is just one blatant sign that WotC had long ago planned to resurrect him in the near (or distant) future. Perhaps the moment they tire of the Shades.

I'd believe that if there was any prior lore suggesting it. I'm not familiar with any, though.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  04:40:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I'd believe that if there was any prior lore suggesting it. I'm not familiar with any, though.

Agreed. I'm more inclined to believe that Wizards simply saw this as an opportunity to expand on past lore. It just so happens that this past lore includes reference to a specifically powerful individual from Realms history.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

creyzi4zb12
Learned Scribe

Philippines
129 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  04:49:28  Show Profile  Visit creyzi4zb12's Homepage Send creyzi4zb12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Karsus is now considered a vestige (in definition of the book: something untracable, untouchable, almost not even real: but desperate to grasp reality. And there are some weird stuff about him going on towards binders (guys who can access his powers), and the pantheon (if that's what you call it) he's on, like having a bad relationship with Amon, for some unknown reason he hates the fellow vestige. You could put another question there, as to why he hates Amon that much.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  05:35:54  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Agreed. I'm more inclined to believe that Wizards simply saw this as an opportunity to expand on past lore. It just so happens that this past lore includes reference to a specifically powerful individual from Realms history.

Perhaps. But isn't resurrection their 'thing' nowadays?

Off topic: Is it just me, or there's really some issues with the site? I keep on getting 'Script timed out' error and loading of pages takes a while.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  05:51:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Off topic: Is it just me, or there's really some issues with the site? I keep on getting 'Script timed out' error and loading of pages takes a while.

Aye. The troublesome Candlekeep gremlins stole my replication algorithms and started making babies virtually. Now they're running rampant.

Sorry folks.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  05:59:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are we to expect some improvement later today or tomorrow?

Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  07:07:35  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is so many parts of Karsus being around. His soul or heart or something is possed by Shar. Rumor has it that was part of how she started the shadow weave or something.

His body is somewhere on Faruen, the Karsestone or something. Barbarians worship it.

Now vestiges are around. Etc.

Karsus will return one day. More powerful then ever.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  07:13:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That depends. Have you ever had to corral moody gremlins?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  07:32:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

That depends. Have you ever had to corral moody gremlins?

As a matter of fact, I had. So troublesome, those naughty little creatures are. I always had to keep them away from water.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  11:42:32  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dracons

Karsus will return one day. More powerful then ever.

That he will. If Wizards doesn't make it happen, they definately planted the perfect seeds for it to happen in a home campaign (yes it is part of my master plan IMC )

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  18:59:43  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Karsus is now considered a vestige (in definition of the book: something untracable, untouchable, almost not even real: but desperate to grasp reality. And there are some weird stuff about him going on towards binders (guys who can access his powers), and the pantheon (if that's what you call it) he's on, like having a bad relationship with Amon, for some unknown reason he hates the fellow vestige. You could put another question there, as to why he hates Amon that much.

Tome of Magic says so, eh? Nice. I'd love to see more of him though.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  21:04:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There is so many parts of Karsus being around. His soul or heart or something is possed by Shar. Rumor has it that was part of how she started the shadow weave or something.
The Shadoweave was 'born' at the same time as the Weave (Ed once described it as 'the spaces between the Weave", IIRC).

That means she has either managed to keep it one of Toril's 'greatest secrets' for a VERY long time, or she had to wait until a certain aspect of it 'matured' enough for her to make her move.

I'm leaning toward a little of both.

What a piece of Karsus does is give her a direct link to Mystra's power, because Karsus himself was once linked to that power. Once again I sight Bonewits' Authentic Theumaturgy and his law of Contagion. In the same way that spells require material components, certain types of magic need an item that was associated with the target of the magic (Divination being the most obvious example, Voodoo being another). 'Black Magic' is notorious for this (and what else would Shar use?)

I would conjecture that the piece she has is the real reason she was able to bypass Mystra's defenses and allow Cyric to kill her. The vision Aliiza saw - the 'Hoochie dance' was Shar performing whatever ritual that brought-down Mystra's defenses at the precise moment Cyric struck.

Ergo, Azuth was not 'enamored' of the dance, but rather was paralyzed into inaction when he realized what was about to happen.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Nov 2010 21:05:01
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  03:24:03  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Intresting Markustay. Never thought of Karsus as a material component (of sorts) for her. Plus it would increase her knowledge and power of her trice-born daughter.

Go to Top of Page

creyzi4zb12
Learned Scribe

Philippines
129 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  05:35:41  Show Profile  Visit creyzi4zb12's Homepage Send creyzi4zb12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's some info. about Karsus from Tome of Magic
KARSUS, HUBRIS IN THE BLOOD
Karsus lived and died by magic, so he grants binders power over that force.

Legend: Binders know Karsus as a potent mortal spellcaster who attempted to steal the powers of a deity that had jurisdiction over magic. He succeeded, but realized too late that his mortal frame and soul could not contain the power. He died, and his soul remained tied to the Material Plane for ages, never becoming a petitioner. Some claim that part of it somehow still lingers there. With no planar home and no deity who would claim him, Karsus became a vestige.

Special Requirement: Karsus refuses to answer the call of a binder who attempts to summon him within the area of an active spell. In addition, he appears only to a smmoner who has at least 5 rans in either Knowledge (arcana) or Spellcraft. He also hates Amon for some unknown reason and will not answer your call if you are already bound to that vestige.
Manifestation: Karsus appears silently and suddenly in the form of a great red boulder. Blood burbles up from the top of the stone and fl ows in a rivulet down the side facing his summoner, then pools at the base. When Karsus speaks, the blood fountains upward, its height varying based on the volume of his voice.

Sign: You bleed more than normal from wounds. Even a small scratch releases a sanguine fl ood. This effect does not deal extra damage.

Infl uence: You take on some of the arrogance for which Karsus was famous in his mortal life. He requires that you make Bluff or Intimidate checks rather than Diplomacy checks to infl uence others.

Granted Abilities: In life, Karsus was obsessed with magic, and is obsession continues unabated in his curret state. He grants you the ability to see magic, destroy it with a touch, and use any magic item with ease. He even provides increased spellcasting power….The rest after this are just gravy for players.

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  08:59:56  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here's some info. about Karsus from Tome of Magic
KARSUS, HUBRIS IN THE BLOOD
Karsus lived and died by magic, so he grants binders power over that force.

Legend: Binders know Karsus as a potent mortal spellcaster who attempted to steal the powers of a deity that had jurisdiction over magic. He succeeded, but realized too late that his mortal frame and soul could not contain the power. He died, and his soul remained tied to the Material Plane for ages, never becoming a petitioner. Some claim that part of it somehow still lingers there. With no planar home and no deity who would claim him, Karsus became a vestige.

Special Requirement: Karsus refuses to answer the call of a binder who attempts to summon him within the area of an active spell. In addition, he appears only to a smmoner who has at least 5 rans in either Knowledge (arcana) or Spellcraft. He also hates Amon for some unknown reason and will not answer your call if you are already bound to that vestige.
Manifestation: Karsus appears silently and suddenly in the form of a great red boulder. Blood burbles up from the top of the stone and fl ows in a rivulet down the side facing his summoner, then pools at the base. When Karsus speaks, the blood fountains upward, its height varying based on the volume of his voice.

Sign: You bleed more than normal from wounds. Even a small scratch releases a sanguine fl ood. This effect does not deal extra damage.

Infl uence: You take on some of the arrogance for which Karsus was famous in his mortal life. He requires that you make Bluff or Intimidate checks rather than Diplomacy checks to infl uence others.

Granted Abilities: In life, Karsus was obsessed with magic, and is obsession continues unabated in his curret state. He grants you the ability to see magic, destroy it with a touch, and use any magic item with ease. He even provides increased spellcasting power#65533;.The rest after this are just gravy for players.

I wonder why the bloodletting. The abilities are neat and the arrogance is just perfect!

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  17:39:59  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Zireael[/i
I wonder why the bloodletting. The abilities are neat and the arrogance is just perfect!

Likely because alot of fan art has shown Karsus to be melting with blood, oozing, rathern then turn to stone like lore.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  18:06:30  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My own little chirp on OP:

Karsus's magic (certainly his Avatar spell, at least) actually worked. As brief as it may have been, he did indeed use arcane magic to become a god. This suggests to me that 1) Netherese Arcanists were right in believing that the divine power of the gods was just advanced wizard magic, and 2) the 12th level Weave magic that Karsus accessed had reached (or passed) the threshold where arcane and divine magics blur together (each so powerful and versatile that they can no longer be distinguished, perhaps both drawing from the same cosmic "source"). Real-Magic (whatever it may be called) is not shackled by the limits imposed on present Weave and divine magics, it could certainly be thought of as a "third magic" which isn't required to play nice with the other two.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  19:05:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Zireael[/i

Likely because alot of fan art has shown Karsus to be melting with blood, oozing, rathern then turn to stone like lore.
Easilly reconcilable.

The power-surge made him swell to immense size, but when that power fled his mortal form, it 'bled out', turning him into a lifeless (dessicated) husk.

Quite literally, blood=life - what we see in those pieces of art is the physical manifestation of the Radiant energy 'bleeding' out of him. Then when it was all gone (and he died), all that was left was an inert chunk of rock... which is what every 'dead god' becomes.

The one major difference in what happened to Karsus and what happens to other gods is that Karsus did not perish in the Outer planes, where such thing are supposed to occur (gods can only be permanently killed within their domains). Karsus never got the chance to create a domain of his own - his domain became the prime material, which is usually just reserved for demi-powers.

Symbolically, the Netherease Empire could have been his brief Domain, and it collapsed with his death.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2010 :  07:09:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

My own little chirp on OP:

Karsus's magic (certainly his Avatar spell, at least) actually worked. As brief as it may have been, he did indeed use arcane magic to become a god. This suggests to me that 1) Netherese Arcanists were right in believing that the divine power of the gods was just advanced wizard magic...

Of course they're right. They're nearly always right when it comes to magic-related things. Only their deaths are not right.

Karsus is sure to come back. Why would WotC leave a residue of him in the form of stone if they deem otherwise?! We've already seen the pattern: the discovery of the ruins of Imaskar heralded the return of empire in the forms of Deep and High Imaskar; the surviving Netherese enclaves - Sakkors, that one in Neverwinter, and others - had been mentioned before, hints given before Shade returned to Toril. WotC usually leaves a part of something (however small or big that part is) evident when they see the need to use that something again in the near or distant future...

Besides, I got a 'tip' that Karsus's return is nigh.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2010 :  11:31:54  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Karsus is sure to come back. Why would WotC leave a residue of him in the form of stone if they deem otherwise?! We've already seen the pattern: the discovery of the ruins of Imaskar heralded the return of empire in the forms of Deep and High Imaskar; the surviving Netherese enclaves - Sakkors, that one in Neverwinter, and others - had been mentioned before, hints given before Shade returned to Toril. WotC usually leaves a part of something (however small or big that part is) evident when they see the need to use that something again in the near or distant future...

Besides, I got a 'tip' that Karsus's return is nigh.

One of which was the return of Amaunator.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2010 :  17:39:26  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
dennis
Karsus is sure to come back. Why would WotC leave a residue of him in the form of stone if they deem otherwise?! We've already seen the pattern...
Well, it could very well be that Karsus is going to return. Of course, given Karsus's unexpected popularity with the fans, it might turn out that he'll only be as a tool to reinvoke interest in D&D when sales are down; until then he causes plenty of speculation and interest simply by remaining where he is.

Most of the information about Karsus was set in stone, so to speak, by the Netheril freebie campaign. I note that the product included a number of other carefully planted seeds ... for example, one of the (two) cities that escaped Netheril's destruction returned as Shade.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2010 :  18:47:31  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm. I wonder how many posts are going to happen the day Karsus is released bragging that they slayed him.

Plus, are they going to include his most famous spell...? Allowing PC's to become Gods?

Maybe that's how 4th edition is going to have god characters play out. kill karsus to get the ultimate spell, now improved to include knowledge on how to use your divine post.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2010 :  18:59:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't want this thread to degrade, but I have to really look a all this 'bringing back stuff that's long gone' with a heavy sigh.

It almost leads me to believe that the century time-jump was intended to give them more 'past' from which to milk from.

What ever happened to 'imagination' and 'originality'? Weren't they once part of D&D?

{Heavy Sigh}

(I told you that was coming)

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2010 :  19:12:52  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Karsus's Avatar spell in itself isn't all that useful; it's 12th level, so you need to be a level 40-something supragenius just to understand it, and you'd need to reshape the laws of the Weave to allow 12th level magic (even if just for a one-shot spellcasting), and, incidentally, you'd need some rather exotic components like body parts harvested from a number of gold dragons and the Tarrasque. The other gods (most especially the current version of Mystra) would likely oppose you every step of the way. You won't be fighting three gold dragons, you'll be fighting thirty, maybe with Bahamut cheering from the sidelines. As terrifying as the Tarrasque is, it'd be a whole lot worse with an avatar of Talos or an angry Titan chained to it's back. You'd already have to be a god by the time you accomplished all these minor chores, casting the avatar spell would probably be a useless formality.

I haven't seen any PCs bragging about slaying Fzoul, Szass, or Larloch, though undoubtedly some have tried. I have heard reports, in the earliest days, of PCs attacking Asmodeus ... though it's quite unlikely they'd attempt anything so brashly idiotic today.

Karsus might already be an active god, just a dreaming one without an avatar. Maybe his Avatar spell (subject to Wish-spell sorts of complexity, and more) was perfectly successful; he does indeed have a divine avatar, it's just a big dumb object carved out of stone. His body may sleep like those of lost gods floating the Astral seas, but unlike them he's in an "active" world with some inhabitants who still remember him ... he could be sipping energy from "his" Weave (or even subtly manipulating or "tainting" it, so he might seize control when he awakens) and subconsciously researching his Karsus's Reawakening spell as we speak. The Karsus Interregnum will soon be ended ... and he might "default" back to his role as God of Magic and the Weave (leading to a bit of an Ao Referee call, another unravelled weave, and a fight to the death between gods) - a perfect pretense for introducing the 5E/RSE game mechanics.

For all I know, it is in fact Karsus who maintains the shaky Weave during RSEs like ToT and Spellplague. Mystra's Not Home, right? But good old Karsus is still connected, still has all the admin passwords (or has hacked his way in), and is still sitting right where we (or Ao) left him. Maybe wild magic might be a symptom or even an invention of Karsus's dreaming being manifested on a divine scale (and thus an unpredictable recurring nuisance beyond Mystra's ability to permanently eradicate). Maybe wild-magic goes through long periods of dormancy followed by periods of brief but intense activity ... and maybe it is a sign that Karsus is slowly awakening. Larloch might be using Karsus's Weave as his hidden source of power whenever Mystra's not around.

(On this note, I really hope we don't ever get some kind of Karsus-Larloch hybrid being, a Realmsified Raistlin-Fistandantulus creature regurgitated from previous lore. I'd take up the habit of book burning if I read about that, I tell ya.)

Karsus might also be insane or permanently stoned. Karsus 2.0 may not be at all recognizable, he might even be a crazy unique sylvan druid/archmage kinda god who's portfolio and very essence are shaped more by his millenia of weave-connected slumber than his puny few centuries of human lifetime or his brief popcorn flash of ascension.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 19 Nov 2010 20:14:49
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000