Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Sources for Time of Troubles Days/Months?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2010 :  00:07:53  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've read in various places that the TOT began in Kythorn and ended in Marpenoth of 1358 DR, but in which published sources were the days and months of this RSE announced?

The timelines in the campaign sets and The Grand History mention the year, but they skip the details.

I'd like to be able to cite actual publications, rather than other fan sites, if possible.

Thank you.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2010 :  00:44:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though not definitive, I distinctly recall the actual adventure modules for the Time of Troubles [Shadowdale, Tantras, and Waterdeep] referencing particular days and such. It's hardly complete, however.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2010 :  02:00:33  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, in thumbing through the modules, I see lots of references to different "days" and "events", but no months and numbered days of months.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2010 :  02:21:42  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a day-by-day breakdown in the Karen Wynn Fonstad Forgotten Realms Atlas.
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2010 :  02:44:32  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also you can geem bits and pieces for stuff, such as Bane's and Torm's Deaths being Eleasias 13.

What exact dates do you need man?

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2010 :  11:05:21  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As Faraer already mentioned, there's a timeline for the original Avatar trilogy in the Forgotten Realms atlas. There's also the Shadows of the Avatar trilogy, featuring Elminster and the Rangers Three, set just prior and after the start of the ToT. The second and third books of that trilogy (Cloak of Shadows and All Shadows Fled) have definite dates for the succession of events in the novels.

Post #500. Hurray for me.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2010 :  17:18:57  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, I have a copy of Fonstad's FR Atlas (AUG-1990), but I never noticed that TOT timeline. Sweet! Thanks, Faraer.

In the notes, she cites specific pages of the first editions of "The Avatar Trilogy". But as it's hard to find those actual books, I wonder: were the dates actually in there in the novels, or were they extrapolated from time clues in the novels--sorta a "best-guess"?

It sounds like this book is the first time specific dates (months & days) were assigned to the events in the TOT. That's similar to what was done with the events in "The Icewind Dale Trilogy".

When was the entire RSE first assigned to the Year of Shadows (1358 DR)? I don't see that in the trilogy or the atlas. I do see the TOT listed in 1358 DR in the JUL-1993 FRCS (2E), though.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2010 :  03:05:11  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it was implied in FRA. Though nothing is actually dated in that book, it even attempted to briefly introduce an aborted "Present Reckoning (PR)" dating system to make post-ToT calendaring more convenient.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2010 :  16:14:47  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

In the notes, she cites specific pages of the first editions of "The Avatar Trilogy". But as it's hard to find those actual books, I wonder: were the dates actually in there in the novels, or were they extrapolated from time clues in the novels--sorta a "best-guess"?´

The dates were not mentioned specifically in the novels (although it has been a long while since I read them). My best guess is, that like all other timelines in the Atlas, someone at TSR made a decision as to assign dates to specific events (the footnotes do not refer to the dates, but to the place where the event is described in the novel, regardless).

quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

When was the entire RSE first assigned to the Year of Shadows (1358 DR)? I don't see that in the trilogy or the atlas. I do see the TOT listed in 1358 DR in the JUL-1993 FRCS (2E), though.

My best guess is that the Year of the Shadows was the year set immediately after the timeline of the Old Gray Box (1E Forgotten Realms Boxed Set), which was "current" as of the last day of 1357 DR. I remember getting the FR Atlas in 1990 (which was just one year after the Avatar trilogy modules were published, which I already bought - I got the novels only much, much later), and I remember the Atlas being the first time any of the events in any of the novels being dated and timelined.

All supplements up to the advent of 2E (FR1-6) mostly stuck to the same time setting (although FR2-Moonshae was set before the events of the first Moonshae trilogy, around 1340 DR or so, and FR5 - The Savage Frontier tried to advance the timeline a bit, by including "current clack" for the North in 1358 DR (no mention of the Time of Troubles, though).

Given that these questions concern the early publication history of FR, perhaps you can ask Big Ed in his thread?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000