Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Fzoul Chembryl's head rock
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  22:16:09  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My understanding was that the gem in Fzoul's head was a tel'kiira that he partially tricked into functioning. The partial aspect of it is demonstrated in how it didn't mold into his forehead.

Where on earth did I come up with that? Is any of it true?

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2010 :  22:23:52  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No.

-- George Krashos.

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2010 :  01:19:11  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That explains why I couldn't find anything on it. I played for years under an incredibly creative GM who could tell you things that almost seemed canon.
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2010 :  11:35:48  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ceative indeed! this got me thinking of how can i use this in my campaign, my campaign is based in the reclaimed Myth Drannor , and there is much interaction with the Zhents.

Perhaps this is the new plan the Zhents shall try in order to harm the Elves, after loosing the battle of shadowdale

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2010 :  12:47:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd make it some unique (or nearly so) magical ruby called the Eye of Bane... Give it some powers related to sight, domination, and protection from such...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2010 :  13:02:46  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have a link to a nice portrait of Fzoul posing with this gem?

Has anyone looked through all of Fzoul's school pictures to determine when and where this gem appeared in his possession?

Going along with the Eye of Bane idea (much better than the Brane of Bane, lol) - I'd think the gem would need to have some kind of focus on Tyranny and Strife. Detect Tyranny & Strife? Grant Communion with Bane (as often as you like, though you really don't want to bug Bane with trivialities)? Maybe an anti-Cyric power or two?

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 12 Nov 2010 14:46:52
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2010 :  14:42:00  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am using the alot the Mythal of the reclaimed Myth Drannor (not sure if cannon) , i am flirting with the idea that its actually the tel'kiira of a powerfull mage who helped create the mythal (have to reread the Elminster book)

To give things some twist perhaps this Tel'kiira could belong to the ancestor line of one of the elf PCs, however iam not sure to have the PCs compete directly with Fzoul himself...

just early thoughts...

EDIT: of course fzoul will try to tinker with the mythal for his own schemes ? something like that...

Edited by - Marquant Volker on 12 Nov 2010 14:43:10
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2010 :  14:53:59  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mythal-power is an interesting twist. It could just as easily be powered by divine energies in temples and unholy grounds consecrated to Bane.

IIRC, tel'kiira are normally sentient? More than that, they possess the collective sentience of every previous (elven High Mage) wearer they've bonded with? If that's the case then perhaps Fzoul/Bane has perverted and corrupted them (or just some of them so the constant strife prevents them from successfully acting) or keeps them tyrannically dominated or has just reformatted the gem and deleted or replaced them entirely (or, again, only some of them, leaving the rest embroiled in constant mental battles with some newly-installed fiendish minds)? Maybe they're held captive by his unholy power and constantly attempt to subconsciously persuade Fzoul (whenever he dreams or his mind is idle or distracted) to get out of Bane's temple and into the closest elven mythal so that they have a chance of weakening his influence and reasserting their power? Introducing a little bit of untiring strife into Fzoul's mind seems like the kind of thing Bane would do. To help motivate Fzoul with a constant inducement and fresh understanding (and a bit of frustration and fury) when spreading his own strife and dissension throughout the world in Bane's glory. Just random ideas.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 12 Nov 2010 15:08:41
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2010 :  18:00:03  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. TOTAL NON-CANON EVILNESS FOLLOWS:

This side-idea caught my eye and triggered this thought:

What if the gem were something created by Manshoon and through a variety of patsies came to Fzoul as some powerful artifact tied to the Churches of Bane/Xvim? It does grant some benefits and powers, but its primary goal simply allows Manshoon to bypass any and all restrictions around it and eavesdrop on Fzoul's words (and surface thoughts?) at any time.

Evil, no? :D

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2010 :  18:09:24  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cloneshoon vs Divine Exarch (and Bane) ... seems a little lopsided. I personally like the idea though; more evil is good, I always say. No real reason why Manshoon couldn't compromise the gem if he's not the one who planted it though. Or seize an advantage originally planted by Sememmon some time long ago. I'm waiting to see what Marquant thinks up.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2010 :  18:50:22  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Wooly Rupert
We do have a Hand of Bane in canon...
quote:
Wooly Rupert
I'd make it some unique (or nearly so) magical ruby called the Eye of Bane...
Hmmm, Hand and Eye, I know I've seen this somewhere before ...

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 12 Nov 2010 18:55:54
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2010 :  03:24:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

quote:
Wooly Rupert
We do have a Hand of Bane in canon...
quote:
Wooly Rupert
I'd make it some unique (or nearly so) magical ruby called the Eye of Bane...
Hmmm, Hand and Eye, I know I've seen this somewhere before ...

Heh.

Though there are differences, here. The Hand of Bane was essentially a MacGuffin, and if it had any powers other than jumpstarting Bane, they weren't mentioned.

And Eye of Bane is just a fancy name. It's better than Funky Self-Adhesive Forehead Gem of Bane!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2010 :  03:26:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Heh. TOTAL NON-CANON EVILNESS FOLLOWS:

This side-idea caught my eye and triggered this thought:

What if the gem were something created by Manshoon and through a variety of patsies came to Fzoul as some powerful artifact tied to the Churches of Bane/Xvim? It does grant some benefits and powers, but its primary goal simply allows Manshoon to bypass any and all restrictions around it and eavesdrop on Fzoul's words (and surface thoughts?) at any time.

Evil, no? :D

That's an awesome idea! Though I'd likely tweak it a bit and make it the focus for a scrying spell, rather than reading Fzoul's mind. So Manshoon would be able to see and hear out of it, bypassing all of Fzoul's wards and such.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000