Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Symbol, Sigil, Banner for Zhent Keep?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2010 :  21:09:30  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is there a description, or a depicition of the standard that the Zhentilar or the Zhentil Keep watch uses?

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.

GazzaM
Acolyte

Australia
18 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2010 :  21:55:51  Show Profile  Visit GazzaM's Homepage Send GazzaM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lords of Darkness, pg 96, has the newer Zhentarim symbol displayed. It is a black sceptre emitting green rays on a gold disc, clutched in the talons of a black wyrm.

I have no idea if someone has the symbol as a picture file, but that would be awesome.
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2010 :  22:08:34  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have that symbol

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3338033/New%20Zhentarim%20Symbol.JPG

I would imagine that Zhentil Keep, Citadel of the Raven, Zhentarim, Zhentilar, and Zhentil Keep Watch would all have seperate emblems. At a minimum the Zhentarim/Black Network would have a symbol seperate from Zhentil Keep, for rthat plausible deniablity... =)

Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2010 :  22:46:49  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well this is what I threw together until I can find something more canon.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3338033/Zhent%20Watch.JPG

Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2010 :  01:21:06  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the 1350s, I believe, it was ... I S#%t you not, a Z. The symbols for each of the members of the Azure Bonds group each had their symbol emblazoned on the victims arms, and that's what the Zhents had. Mind you Tyranthraxus had a T, well a flaming T.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2010 :  03:27:09  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe Ed Greenwood has answered questions about this very topic, in detail and more than once, in his thread. I'd try the various "Ask Ed" compilations, or call: Sage? Wooly Rupert? Lore Retrieval Fu HELLLP!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2010 :  03:59:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Page 96, Lords of Darkness:

quote:
Recently, Fzoul Chembryl commissioned the creation of a new symbol for the organization: a black scepter emitting green rays on a gold disc, clutched in the talons of a black wyrm. The scepter and rays signify the veneration of Bane, the disc stands for wealth, and the black dragon represents dominion.

And Ed sayeth:

quote:
Hello again, fellow scribes.
Sage of Stars, you're most welcome. I'll convey your thanks (and query, of course) to Ed.
As for now, I bring once more the words of Ed, this time a response of lore to Hawkfeather, who posted back in May: “Greetings, Ed! I'm from Brazil and I've been playing (dming I should say) in the Realms for more than 11 years. First of all I'd like to thank you very much for sharing your dreams with us. And I have a few questions for you if you don't mind:
I was reading "Power of Faerûn" (GREAT book) and wondered: Did Fzoul had to ask permission to the Heralds to change the Zhentarim's symbol? And, if by chance, the new symbol looked like a existing one, how did he would react? It would be like: "I don't care! This will be the new symbol anyway!!" or like: "Sorry guys... I didn't know... Do you have any suggestions for a new blazon?". Finally, I'd like to know if the old symbol (the stylish "Z") is still used by some Zhentarims (Cyric's followers, for example).”
Ed replies:

Glad you liked POWER OF FAERUN; Eric and I had a blast writing it, though we’d both have liked to have had several hundred more pages to fill (and of course more time with which to fill them). I hope you’ve been checking the Wizards website, where you’ll see (eventually) ALL of the Border Kingdoms, not just the ones I was able to squeeze into PoF.
You’re very welcome, and of course I don’t mind fielding questions, though (as you can see; sorry) it takes me quite some time, these days, to get around to answering most scribes’ questions.
Fzoul, like most religious leaders, does not ask the permission of the Heralds for anything. However, he DOES inform them he’s doing so, because the gods (with the exception of the insane Cyric) instruct him (as they do all religious leaders) to do so. Politely and fully, without deceit or any omissions. Moreover, the new symbol would never be too close to an existing one, because Fzoul’s god (whoever it might be at the time :} ) wouldn’t allow that. The Heralds didn’t just make up this avoid-confusion rule and try to force others to go along with it; the GODS like the rule and support them in enforcing it, to avoid needless strife over mistaken identities, confusion over borders and loyalties, fighting between churches (over errors and mistakes, as opposed to DELIBERATE fighting), and so on.
The Heralds aren’t priests, nor loyal to any one deity; they serve heraldry in general, as a sort of “symbol police,” not this or that faith in particular.
So Fzoul couldn’t have gotten into the situation you describe (nor could a paladin or blackguard trying to muster an army or start a crusade; the gods will direct such individuals to “obey the system.”
And yes, the “stylish Z” symbol (actually referred to by Zhentarim as “the Pride of the Brotherhood,” or more often simply as “the Pride”) will remain in use, because many spells cast on portals, doors in the Citadel of the Raven and Zhentil Keep and the sewers and dungeons of both places, and in Zhent outposts all over the northern Heartlands, are linked to engraved or painted “prides.” It would be possible to slowly and laboriously replace all of those “Z”s, though it would take years and much effort - - but no Zhent has started to do so (yet, anyway).
Hope that helps, Hawkfeather, and sorry for my delay in replying. If there was four of me, I could write and design all the things I want to, and keep right up to date with Candlekeep lore questions, but over the years I seem to have mastered clowning, not cloning. :}

So saith Ed. Loremaster Supreme of the Realms. And everyday wearer of T-shirts with holes in them.
love to all,
THO

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000