Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 aboleth lore help? (Any edition up to 3.5).
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2010 :  11:25:33  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I know that 4th edition makes it more streamlined, but I just do not care for it. So I'd like anything before that please.
Also sorry for the spelling mistakes. Just like I cannot even guess how to say half the names in Forgotten Realms, I can't remember how to spell the bulk of them ether.

In lords of madness, they state that Aboleths do not care for gods. At best they may be thought as equal. They even proclaimed they were here before the gods.

My only concern with that, is that AO made the world. Well, Shar and Selune, who made Toril (Chantua), who needed Sun, so Lathander etc etc.

Basically the Gods were already around before anything was living on Toril. Now some of them treat Ghaunduar as equal, the drow god of slime and ooze and such. Do Aboleths see gods differently in Forgotten Realms? Obviously not so much as something to worship or fear,but to be a partner with. Are there any known Aboleth cities? Famous Aboleths?

I'd like what people know. I do own every 3.0/3.5 books, but not quite sure where to really dig through. Any lore from earlier editions would be greatful, as I do not have access to any other edition game.

My main thoughts are, besides cities and famous ones, are their relationships with gods. I can almost see Shar being a mother type, and one that raised them since the beginning of Toril time? With their perchance to remember everything their parents knew, and their parents knew, means they could potentionally know alot.

Sorry for rambling. Even though I finally got my hip replaced, they're still keeping me doped up on various pills.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2010 :  12:09:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have the time at the moment, but if you perform a forum search for previous scrolls on abolethic lore, you'll find several detailed by myself and other scribes which cover this topic somewhat.

I'll try to add more later.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2010 :  19:25:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Lords of madness, their are some hints that there were 'things' around before the universe even formed; perhaps even 'leftovers' from a prior universe.

THAT is where the Aboleths fit-in.

In FR lore, the only evidence we have of these 'prior beings' are the original Shadevari*.

Note also at the end of the Avatar Crisis Ao addresses a being who is apparently more powerful then he. While I have heard some (rather stupid) meta-gaming explanations for that, the fact is we have canon that Ao has a 'superior', and therefore one can assume that the universe itself is older then Realmspace.

Ergo, Ao is part of some 'higher order' that transcends Realmspace itself, while anyone who 'came after' would most-likely be Realms-specific beings. At least, that's how I always thought of it before 4e.

I was about to go into another long-winded diatribe, but it contributes nothing to this conversation. Suffice it to say I've changed my mind about some of the other beings in Realmspace now.

Anyhow, there isn't a lot to go on, except perhaps in some of Bruce Cordell's latest novels. I haven't read them myself, but IIRC correctly I think the Aboleths are featured in the newest ones.

Anyhow, it appears that history did NOT begin when we thought it did, and the War of Light & Darkness didn't happen 'at the beginning' either (that's now canon), and there were some creatures (like the Aboleths) who apparently pre-date the Creator Races.

My best guess is that they are a race that 'swam through the primal chaos' before the world began. They may be part of an even larger race themselves (that is how I spin it, but that's HB), because certain other things like Illithids appear to have equally ancient origins.

Or are the Illithids what the Aboleths were destined to become?

*I say "original Shadevari" because I do not want them confused with the Shades of Shade (how redundant is THAT?). There was also a monster listed in one of the books - I forget which - which was supposedly one of those Shadevari, but it falls way off the mark for a powerful, pre-Genesis entity. Assume that creature is a fairly weak Avatar of the original Shadevari.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Nov 2010 20:11:23
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2010 :  19:39:17  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aboleths have racial memory, they remember their origins from when Piscaethces of the Far Realm brushed herself against the Material Plane

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2010 :  20:07:26  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But from what I gathered, is mostly 4th edition lore, not something I wish to use even in the least.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2010 :  20:21:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, my bad.

Is it because you have an aversion to the lore itself, or you just refuse to go along with anything that was changed in 4e?

Just curious - I don't want this thread to degrade. Like I said, I find a lot of 4e's lore useful, and placing aberrations in some sort of 'before time' makes sense for me (as in, 'for MY game').

I still don't have any plans of ever using Aboleths, but I don't want to limit my future alternatives by writing them off, either. Someone posted a link to an article awhile back about 'additive' and 'subtractive' lore, and how it is much better to be vague then simply say it doesn't exist (which then ties your hands on that a particular subject from then-on).

In other words, always write lore from the perspective of making note of what is there, but NEVER what is not there.

Anyhow, aside from two I read about in novels, I can't seem to recall any sourcebook details regarding them.

There was the one that worked with the Kraken Society, and there was that other that messed with the party in WotSQ. In both instances, Drow were involved (obviously - what other characters are going to run into something that lives in the Underdark?)

I also vaguely remember something about one near Skullport, but I could be way off the mark on that one.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Nov 2010 23:44:52
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2010 :  09:57:29  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to recall that there was an entire scroll of aboleth lore, which was to be put on Candlekeep, but it hadn't happened yet.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2010 :  11:31:21  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are severeal Aboleth in Waterdeep near skullport. Part of the Savants of the Dark Tide.

As for why I don't like the forth edition, is because of how they made everything the same. All the monsters are from the exact same plane as in every other campaign world. No more uniqueness. All undead are from Raven Queen, regardless if your in Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Dragonlance, are your own world. (Extreme example, but it's why I can't stand reading any articles from Wizards).

In short, while making everything easier to remember and know, they took out the uniqness of each campaign setting to make it more accessible to people who who can't read, regardless of what setting.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2010 :  23:53:38  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dracons

Basically the Gods were already around before anything was living on Toril. Now some of them treat Ghaunduar as equal, the drow god of slime and ooze and such. Do Aboleths see gods differently in Forgotten Realms? Obviously not so much as something to worship or fear,but to be a partner with. Are there any known Aboleth cities? Famous Aboleths?

The Sargauth Swimmer (below Waterdeep) is famous

check this thread http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10466&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2010 :  01:20:28  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's just a little tidbit, but surprisingly Xxiphu, the primary aboleth city from 4e has its origins in a brief mention in a 3e product and therefore might work out for you. Imo, the Abolethic Sovereignty is the only part of 4e FR lore that I could say I flat out love.

I will get back to you on this but I believe the city gets its mention in a short adventure called Shape of Water, but I don't remember which product its in (perhaps Lost Empires of Faerun).

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2010 :  01:51:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

It's just a little tidbit, but surprisingly Xxiphu, the primary aboleth city from 4e has its origins in a brief mention in a 3e product and therefore might work out for you. Imo, the Abolethic Sovereignty is the only part of 4e FR lore that I could say I flat out love.
There's also some further 3e grounding for it in Cordell's Darkvision and Stardeep novels as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2010 :  02:29:21  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SHape of Water is in Underdark, but thanks.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000