Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 1001 Books You Should Read Before You DIE
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  16:58:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I read them far too fast I can barely remember the details now, so I might have to reread them someday. The pace was incidental, as I needed to finish them quick to jump to another series, which, if memory serves, was either Feist's Demonwar or Weeks' The Night Angel.

I couldn't care for many of the characters, though, despite the fact that most of them are spellcasters, the class which I'm always biased to. I suppose the dragons had to do with it. Never like them in the first place. Bloated lizards are worse than bloated catfish (aboleths).

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  18:07:20  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are many realms books which i have read only to end up forgetting 80% of the storyline a few years later. This doesn't happen with non-realms fantasy books that i read though.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2012 :  22:42:44  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
id pick halflings gem.city of ravens and prince of lies.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2012 :  07:14:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

There are many realms books which i have read only to end up forgetting 80% of the storyline a few years later. This doesn't happen with non-realms fantasy books that i read though.

That doesn't happen to all the Realms books I read, though. Some I even memorized a couple of lines, specially those of my favorite characters by my favorite authors.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2012 :  01:07:21  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
City of Ravens
Sellsword trilogy

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2012 :  16:43:32  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Haunted Lands trilogy,
The Twilight War trilogy, these are the realms at its best.
The Crystal Shard for nostalgia's sake if nothing else.
and of course Lord of the Rings.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2012 :  16:45:08  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh and Shatterpoint by Mathew Strover, one of the best Star wars novels ever written.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2012 :  01:15:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Oh and Shatterpoint by Mathew Strover, one of the best Star wars novels ever written.

Of course, because it's by Matt Stover. Probably the best SW fiction writer to ever grace the printed pages of that galaxy so far, far away. Aside from James Luceno, Elaine Cunningham, and, now, Jeff Grubb, that is.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2012 :  11:30:53  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Of course, because it's by Matt Stover. Probably the best SW fiction writer to ever grace the printed pages of that galaxy so far, far away. Aside from James Luceno, Elaine Cunningham, and, now, Jeff Grubb, that is.

You are correct sir. I loved all of his books. Though it seems that we will unfortunately not be seeing anymore Star wars books by Elaine Cunnigham, I am looking forward to reading Jeff Grubb's Scourge.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2012 :  19:56:36  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I decided to put this here instead of in the What are you Reading thread because I liked it that much. With my recent interest in all things piratical, I decided to search out fantasy pirate books. Disappointingly, I didn't find much. But, I just finished On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers and it was a heluva good book. Full of swashbuckling pirates and voodoo magic. Now this is the book that the fourth Pirates of the Carribean was LOOSELY based on, but if I didn't read that I never would have known. I give it 4 1/2 stars. Next up is China Mieville's The Scar.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  00:50:45  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

I decided to put this here instead of in the What are you Reading thread because I liked it that much. With my recent interest in all things piratical, I decided to search out fantasy pirate books. Disappointingly, I didn't find much. But, I just finished On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers and it was a heluva good book. Full of swashbuckling pirates and voodoo magic. Now this is the book that the fourth Pirates of the Carribean was LOOSELY based on, but if I didn't read that I never would have known. I give it 4 1/2 stars. Next up is China Mieville's The Scar.

If you are looking for a good pirate fantasy novel then I would recommend Scott Lynch's Red Seas Under Red Skies. It is Book 2 of his Gentleman Bastards series and book 1 is amazing as well...though severely lacking in the pirate category.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 05 Jun 2012 00:53:49
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  00:56:17  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, entreri. I finished them up just a few weeks back. Excellent books. Can't wait for the next one.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  03:17:57  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Thank you, entreri. I finished them up just a few weeks back. Excellent books. Can't wait for the next one.

Glad to hear you enjoyed them. I also can't wait for Book 3, which unfortunately looks like it will be a long while.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000