Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Elminster a Drow?!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  21:13:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is this some sort of joke or prank?

I read it in THIS THREAD over on the WotC forums, but I haven't substantiated this guy's claim yet.

If its true...... WHAT THE HELL?!

EDIT: Substantiated

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 May 2012 21:17:52

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  21:23:27  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't get why he has to turn into a drow in order to gather Mystra's relics.

Also, how does being a drow make it easier for him to rally the War Wizards of Cormyr?

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 08 May 2012 21:23:44
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  21:43:20  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wait, so it's perfectly reasonable if he turns from male to female but apparnelty Drow is where people draw the line .

I actually find the idea interesting and I wonder how he'll unite the Wizards of War as a Drow?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  21:50:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because they are combining their two most popular characters into one. An Elminster-drow!

Whats next for 6e, and Everisminster Drowcale?

This is taking the existing setting even further away from its humble beginnings. I was somewhat interested in the RotU storyline, but not so much anymore.

I also hear Lolth is trying to create her own Weave to compete with Shar?

I really hope all of this craziness isn't seriously being considered.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 May 2012 21:51:41
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  21:51:30  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Wait, so it's perfectly reasonable if he turns from male to female but apparnelty Drow is where people draw the line .

I actually find the idea interesting and I wonder how he'll unite the Wizards of War as a Drow?

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering about too.

(besides how he needs to be a drow to get Mystra's relics. Even if he plans to use this new treasure finding trend of the drow to his advantage, it's not like they'll let him away with their goods and if he gets away the first time, then his chances with them end there).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 08 May 2012 21:52:57
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  21:53:35  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm.... All it says is "dark elf". Not necessarily a drow. Could be one of the "redeemed" ones?

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  21:53:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe its Gromph Baenre he takes over. That would explain how he can be in a position of authority (within a female-dominated society).
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Hmm.... All it says is "dark elf". Not necessarily a drow. Could be one of the "redeemed" ones?
Ugh!

More 4e confusion.........

Edited by - Markustay on 08 May 2012 21:54:42
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  21:54:53  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like Ed's up to his crazy tricks again. This is certainly unexpected, and it could go neat places.

Trust in Ed, my friends!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  21:58:50  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alystra makes a really good point, perhaps it's not Drow but one of the redeemed Dark Elves. Actually, I really like that idea. I'm also very interested in how it relates to Cormyr too.

Also, I don't see any 4E confusion. Elistraee dies and redeems X-amount of Drow to their un-drow status as dark elves. Why is that hard?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  22:08:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because according to the 4e 'mission statement', they wanted to "reduce unnecessary redundancy" .

So I guess someone thought the best way to do that is create YET ANOTHER Elven subrace (along with Eladrin!)

You know... as brilliants as adding-in another 'snake god'....

I had more here, but my heads ready to explode. I need to go to Walmart and buy myself an action figure.

Peace

Edited by - Markustay on 08 May 2012 22:08:42
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  22:15:06  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I learned about Elminster-as-Drow from the blurb for Elminster Engraged well in advance of the announcement for Rise of the Underdark.

The blurb about Elminster didn't bother me then and I don't particularly care to take a dip in the always-bubbling cauldron of fan angst while exercising my all-seeing eye that unfailingly tells me (without actually telling me) what WotC is doing and why.

Count me as interested in anything Elminster Engraged has to say about Drow in (or under) Cormyr. I’ll be mining that book for new names, places, things and miscellany as it is, so it’ll be fun no matter what.
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Ugh!

More 4e confusion.........
I don't think I've ever seen a writeup for redeemed Drow. Use the stats for an Elf or an Eladrin and call it a day. Too easy Drill Seargent! Give me another one!

Anyway, why be negative? So the hell what if it's a Drow or a redeemed Dark Elf? From the looks of things the dark elf that Elminster will be riding is dead anyway.

But if the dark elf isn’t dead, so what? Either way, his or her status as redeemed could possibly end up mattering in the story and for that reason allow the Creator of all the Realms to tell us something more about Drow that perhaps we’ve never known before (just as he’s already done in the first two books about nobles and secrets of Cormyr).

I don’t know about you, but I don’t have a problem with that.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 08 May 2012 22:25:36
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  22:15:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drowminster!

...And that's all I'm saying, until I have more information than a blurb.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 May 2012 22:16:41
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  22:28:32  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Sounds silly.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  22:35:20  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find it all amusing. Especially the bit about Manshoon hunting down Elminster clones.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  23:26:48  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Drowminster!
You need to trademark that.

In the spirit of this thread, I think we should pre-name the dark elf by calling him either Irving or Cathy.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  23:40:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

In the spirit of this thread, I think we should pre-name the dark elf by calling him either Irving or Cathy.

Oh gods, no! I'll not sully any fandom I am even marginally fond of by linking it to that abomination against comics. Actually, I wouldn't do that to most of the fandoms I dislike!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  00:34:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'll reserve further comments till more information is revealed. I don't think it that bad, given what's known so far. Elminster had once transformed into a woman. Transforming into a totally different race does not sound that bad, if handled well.

What you should be worried about is if RAS suddenly makes Drizzt a wizard---Drizztminster.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  01:18:22  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No they never did do a write up for the redeamed dark elves. the only thing that might come close would be the dusk elves. but the lore on them does not add up to the realmslore.....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  02:03:05  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elfminster
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  02:31:54  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone at WotC is picking my brain...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  02:42:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see the problem with this. We know Elminster has a history of adopting other forms so intimately.

We all remember Elmara [from Elminster: The Making of a Mage], right?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  04:34:29  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Because according to the 4e 'mission statement', they wanted to "reduce unnecessary redundancy" .

So I guess someone thought the best way to do that is create YET ANOTHER Elven subrace (along with Eladrin!)

I'm pretty comfortable with a LOAD of ethnicities for Humans, Sub-races for Elves, Dwarves, Halflings, Gnomes, even Kobolds, Orcs, and Goblins. What I'm NOT comfortable with is nit-picky mechanics that changes for every single one. From ability score adjustments/replacements and special qualities to favored weapons, classes, and a plethora of different mechanics. Had they NOT tied all the different racial aspects to the game-side, I'd be far happier. Besides, everyone knows "Dark Elves" have Elven stats and just change-reskin the flavor. Easy-Peasy.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  04:48:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Redeemed Dark Elves = pre-descent Drow = green elves which = ordinary, 'plain vanilla' elves in 4e.

So drow are just perverted Dark Green Elves.

Or in Drizzt's case, Hunter Green.

Remove the magical 'perversion', and they are just green elves again (with a great tan).

I don't know about the rest of you, but I''m opening up a sun-block stand in Cormyr this summer.

I don't mind Elminster changing into other stuff - its par-for-the-course in his case. But we all know him becoming a drow is just marketing. You want to sell more FR novels, you have to slap a drow on the cover. {sigh}

I didn't get an action-figure, but I got some cookies and they calmed my inner turmoil. Cookies are magical... but if they turn the Simbul into a Red Wizard lich, I'm gonna need the whole Keebler factory!

Edited by - Markustay on 09 May 2012 04:48:19
Go to Top of Page

Tasker Daze
Seeker

84 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  05:13:40  Show Profile Send Tasker Daze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Year of the Drow, day 3,724 and counting...

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  05:15:26  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why is this so shocking? Seriously... like Elminster hasn't been a drow before?

He's been a woman, he polymorphs into different men ALL THE TIME (old, young)... hasn't he even been a dragon?

This strikes me as one of the more typical things I'd expect of him, not even remotely shocking.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  06:16:16  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

Why is this so shocking? Seriously... like Elminster hasn't been a drow before?

He's been a woman, he polymorphs into different men ALL THE TIME (old, young)... hasn't he even been a dragon?

This strikes me as one of the more typical things I'd expect of him, not even remotely shocking.

This.

If it turns out that it's jumping the shark, we can comment on it after we see what it's like. Until then, I see little point in getting worked up about it.

And be thankful it's Ed doing it. Even if you don't care for his novel-writing (and I know some don't), it's doubtful anyone else could do as good a job with the concept and make it work as well as he can. As overworked as the drow concept is, I'll see what he does with it before reaching for my Vestments of the Candlekeep Grognard.

- OMH
Go to Top of Page

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
137 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  07:40:55  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is this some sort of joke or prank?

I read it in THIS THREAD over on the WotC forums, but I haven't substantiated this guy's claim yet.

If its true...... WHAT THE HELL?!

EDIT: Substantiated

*sigh*

This has better be amazing, because anything less could cause more damage to those whose faith in the Realms has already been shaken.

Nilus Reynard
Doom Master of Beshaba, Hand of Despair.
P24 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  16:31:51  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But we all know him becoming a drow is just marketing.
We do?

I don't know that.

It's not like there's a drow on the cover of Elminster Enraged.

Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  17:08:28  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see the problem here. The drow are getting artifacts for Lolth, Elminster has to get them back from them. How can he do this better than in the body of a drow?

And though the last I read about him was Elminster must die! I am very interestet in the events leading to this
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  17:49:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its not that he's becoming a drow - I expect Elminster to be able to turn into anything. Technically, using 4e's parlance - both Chosen and Demigods are 'Exarchs': That means that the form we see Elminster in is nothing more then an avatar (which divine powers can change on a whim). Elminster can be whatever the hell he wants (and that last bit about being an Exarch makes sense of him 'reforming' after being destroyed by Manshoon).

What I have a problem is is this - Why a Drow? Does anyone here really think it is pure coincidence this is happening at the same time as Rise of the Underdark? Its a novel written to tie-into the crossovers.

I had MUCH more here, with lots of comparisons, etc... but as I read what I was typing, something sunk-in. I love the Realms, truly I do.

But I think I may be at the point in my 'relationship' where a person says, "Its not you... its me..."

And mean it.

As a businessman, I can't honestly say this is a bad business strategy, but its not what I want. Sometimes, if you really love something, you have to set it free. Ed did it once, all those years ago.

Edited by - Markustay on 09 May 2012 17:50:35
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  18:50:34  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

quote:

But we all know him becoming a drow is just marketing.
We do?

I don't know that.

It's not like there's a drow on the cover of Elminster Enraged.

But there's definitely a mention of drow in the blurb. And readers don't just look at the cover---they read blurbs, too.

Personally, I'm not seeing anything bad about it. Marketing aside, it maybe what Ed himself really wants.

This rather favorable comment does not mean I'm buying the novel, though. I haven't yet read anything about it that interests me in the slightest.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 09 May 2012 19:02:30
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000