Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Thoughts on the FR DM Screen?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2010 :  10:36:43  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is it sturdy? Useful? Pretty?

Also, what is the difference between this one: http://www.rpg-resource.org.uk/images/articles/348/dm-screen.jpg

and this one: http://www.legendgames.co.uk/acatalog/fr_dm_screen.jpg

One 3e and one 3.5 by chance?

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2010 :  14:33:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never used it, and I don't think it's all that to look at.

If you want a sturdy DM's screen, go for the Pathfinder one. Sure, it's for PFRPG and not D&D, but it's a hardcover screen!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2010 :  14:40:20  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agree with Wooly. The PF screen is sturdy enough that you can use it as a "wall" to roll the dice against.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2010 :  16:54:58  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not intimidating enough on the player's side.

The old REF1 screens (1e 2e), especially when assembled in formation, would make players skittish and subliminally erode their confidence.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2010 :  17:29:08  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then print out your own intimidating images and stick `em on the front. Heck, the glossy hardcover is good enough quality that you should be able to tape stuff to it and not ruin it...

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2010 :  17:35:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or better yet, use the PF ones and wear a really scary mask while you DM.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2010 :  19:43:59  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a good option. A variation would be to use the sort of stiff plastic standup things you see used on restaurant tabletop menus. They're probably available at office supply retailers. Total cost of plastics, printing, and copying would be comparable (or less) than an official screen. Plus you can use erasable markers on it, definitely useful.

You can stick maps on the player side, or a first-person "photo" of the dungeon/city/desert/whatever they're exploring, or an image of whatever monster(s) they're fighting. Keeps them anchored on important game elements when boredom threatens to drift them away. There's plenty of fantastic artwork floating around the ether which can be stolen for this application. You can even encourage your players to submit pictures of their characters.

[Edit]
I don't think the mask is a great idea. You lose your peripheral vision, can't see players attempting sneak attacks.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 23 Oct 2010 19:55:24
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2010 :  20:33:57  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
haha thanks for the replies guys!

I'm not too worried about intimidating my players and think it may actually be nice if the picture have a light hearted frontier/adventure feel.

What are the pictures on the screen? Pretty sure that picture of Drizzt is just the cover of the packaging, but I cant find the inside or outside of the actual screen.

Also, it comes with a 32 page book with Realms monster and weather encounters, which may be helpful for a new realms dm like myself.

And are the things on it pretty compatible with 3.5?

I've already got a DM screen, just thought it would add to the feel of my game a bit if I had a Realms on and it may help me with quick ideas that fit the flavor of the game.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2010 :  22:10:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

I don't think the mask is a great idea. You lose your peripheral vision, can't see players attempting sneak attacks.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2010 :  20:09:10  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just pulled the 3.5, Forgotten Realms, and Pathfinder DM screens off my shelf to compare them. I never was a big fan of the art on the FR screen, while the iconic dragon on the 3.5 screen is a rather nice touch. Also, while they are all packaged 8.5"x11", I do like the low profile of the 3.5 screen better than the 11" tall FR and PRPG ones. As for durability, the PRGP screen has the others beat hands down.

Content wise, The charts presented on the 3.5 and PRPG screens are way more useful than the FR charts, About half of the FR screen is taken up with Weapon and Armor charts which, with I found aren't that useful. The calendar of Harptos and Roll of Years sidebars are a nice touch.

The real gem of the FR screen is the "Encounters in Faerun" supplement that comes bundled with it. I can't tell you how much I have used that over the years. I even went out an bought a second screen that I have no intention of using just to replace my lost copy of the encounter charts.

My verdict: If you are playing 3.5, get the generic 3.5 screen to use and, if it interests you, the Encounters in Faerun supplement is a welcome addition to any DM's bookshelf.

My Current Campaign: The Adventures of the Stonelanders

Edited by - wintermute27 on 24 Oct 2010 20:25:58
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2010 :  23:28:25  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wintermute27

I just pulled the 3.5, Forgotten Realms, and Pathfinder DM screens off my shelf to compare them. I never was a big fan of the art on the FR screen, while the iconic dragon on the 3.5 screen is a rather nice touch. Also, while they are all packaged 8.5"x11", I do like the low profile of the 3.5 screen better than the 11" tall FR and PRPG ones. As for durability, the PRGP screen has the others beat hands down.

Content wise, The charts presented on the 3.5 and PRPG screens are way more useful than the FR charts, About half of the FR screen is taken up with Weapon and Armor charts which, with I found aren't that useful. The calendar of Harptos and Roll of Years sidebars are a nice touch.

The real gem of the FR screen is the "Encounters in Faerun" supplement that comes bundled with it. I can't tell you how much I have used that over the years. I even went out an bought a second screen that I have no intention of using just to replace my lost copy of the encounter charts.

My verdict: If you are playing 3.5, get the generic 3.5 screen to use and, if it interests you, the Encounters in Faerun supplement is a welcome addition to any DM's bookshelf.

This is just the reply I needed, thank you! Ordering both now : ) When you speak of the 3.5 screen you mean the "Deluxe DM" screen correct?
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  02:54:08  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the Deluxe DM screen was the one I was referencing. Also, I should point out that I don't actually use a screen to DM. My current set-up is to have the PRPG screen (since that is what I'm running) folded up next to me on the table on top of my "secret DM notes" to hide them from my players. I mostly would keep a screen nearby to reference the charts on it quickly rather than look up the relevant information in the book. I also sit down while I DM, so I don't like "being hidden" from my players or having my view of the play mat obscured with the taller screens while running games.

Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  05:47:45  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Or better yet, use the PF ones and wear a really scary mask while you DM.

Arrrgh! One of the first RPGs in Germany was "Das Schwarze Auge" (The Black Eye). When it was released in 1984, the Dungeon Master Box contained a mask (picture) for the the DM. It was ridiculous. Unfortunately, in a way it also cemented the view that RPGs are for children.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Pazuzu
Seeker

Germany
61 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  10:05:24  Show Profile Send Pazuzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan
Arrrgh! One of the first RPGs in Germany was "Das Schwarze Auge" (The Black Eye). When it was released in 1984, the Dungeon Master Box contained a mask (picture) for the the DM. It was ridiculous. Unfortunately, in a way it also cemented the view that RPGs are for children.

Hahah! I didn't know that! That's really funny :-D

May your dice obey your will. - Gary Gygax (*1938 - †2008)
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  14:19:46  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Never used it, and I don't think it's all that to look at.

If you want a sturdy DM's screen, go for the Pathfinder one. Sure, it's for PFRPG and not D&D, but it's a hardcover screen!

The 4e D&D screen is also an improvement over the 3E one...much sturdier. (4e info on it though so not as useful for information if your not running 4e)

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  16:03:45  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Much prefer the 3.5 DM Screen with the low profile. Makes it a lot easier to see the gaming table. Having four panels means all the rules are right where you need them for reference.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  17:07:20  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Miscellany

Much prefer the 3.5 DM Screen with the low profile. Makes it a lot easier to see the gaming table. Having four panels means all the rules are right where you need them for reference.

Yerah thats something else with the 4e one. It doesnt go as high so you can actually see over it without having to stand up.

Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  21:41:04  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So both screens are on their way and I am excited. I'll drop my two cents when they arrive.

You guys are saying the 3.5 deluxe screen is more "low profile", but it states that it is 11", dosent seem very low to me!

I also own the 4e screen and it is amazing and I would kill for something like it for 3.5. I might even have to just post my own tables on the back of it one day.
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  22:55:21  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh yes, I remember that one *shudders*. Only ever had one GM trying to wear it...boy, what a barrage of laughter he got.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2010 :  13:43:38  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The FR DM screen comes with a booklet for random encounters based on wilderness areas of the realms I believe, which you might enjoy btw.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2010 :  14:28:56  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

The FR DM screen comes with a booklet for random encounters based on wilderness areas of the realms I believe, which you might enjoy btw.

Not only wilderness areas, but also dungeon levels. Including a terrific section on dragon encounters.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  01:45:48  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ozreth

You guys are saying the 3.5 deluxe screen is more "low profile", but it states that it is 11", dosent seem very low to me!

For most DM screens, they are oriented so that the 11" side is the height, with the 3.5 deluxe screen, the 8.5" side is the height instead. so it is a little longer and shorter than a 4-panel screen oriented the other way.

Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  04:21:42  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wintermute27

quote:
Originally posted by Ozreth

For most DM screens, they are oriented so that the 11" side is the height, with the 3.5 deluxe screen, the 8.5" side is the height instead. so it is a little longer and shorter than a 4-panel screen oriented the other way.

Ooh thats awesome, glad to hear it : ) excited for them to arrive.
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  06:22:19  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok so the FR DM screen has arrived. As has been mentioned, the tables on the screen aren't very helpful (although a few are) but the encounters book that comes with it was well worth the money for me.

It is pretty flimsy, and a bit tall for my liking. Will mostly keep it on the side at my games.

The 3.5 screen should be here tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  13:29:18  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This seemed appropriate.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  22:51:12  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually saw a rather nice GM's screen at my FLGS today. It is the Savage World's GM screen. It is basically three double sided, sleeved, 3-ring binder covers attached end to end (low profile). Completely customizable and sturdy. A nice, edition neutral option to throw out there. Also, you can assemble your favorite Forgotten Realms art and maps to use on the side that faces the players.

Go to Top of Page

WildRyc
Acolyte

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  14:59:26  Show Profile  Visit WildRyc's Homepage Send WildRyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm fairly certain we've all forgotten the mother of all DM Screens, the Hackmaster Official GameMaster's Shield:
http://www.kenzerco.com/free_files/HM_GM_Shield_manual.pdf

Clocking in at 32 pages of glory, separated into Player information and GameMaster Eyes Only, it has everything, including: a randomized dungeon generation table, frequently used items purchasing list, random encounter generation (divided amongst all different terrain areas), critical hits table, Wrath of the GM table, and more.

What else could you need?
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  15:07:07  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of sliding clips along numbered edges to track things. A great idea (reduces note scribbling) that I've never seen or imagined before. The screen seems a bit overkill to me, but definitely doesn't lack in the player-intimidation department. Well met and welcome to Candlekeep, WildRyc, good find.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 01 Dec 2010 15:09:26
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  15:08:45  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WildRyc

I'm fairly certain we've all forgotten the mother of all DM Screens, the Hackmaster Official GameMaster's Shield:
http://www.kenzerco.com/free_files/HM_GM_Shield_manual.pdf

Clocking in at 32 pages of glory, separated into Player information and GameMaster Eyes Only, it has everything, including: a randomized dungeon generation table, frequently used items purchasing list, random encounter generation (divided amongst all different terrain areas), critical hits table, Wrath of the GM table, and more.

What else could you need?

NICE! didnt know about this.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000