Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Elaith: dead or alive?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  13:44:11  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I read on one Russian site that Elaith is dead in the 4th edition. Is that true? What happened to him in the 4th edition?

Edited by - Jelennet on 13 Oct 2010 13:48:25

Ralderick Hallowshaw
Acolyte

Italy
36 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  15:55:31  Show Profile  Visit Ralderick Hallowshaw's Homepage Send Ralderick Hallowshaw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jelennet

I read on one Russian site that Elaith is dead in the 4th edition. Is that true? What happened to him in the 4th edition?

AFAIK, he's not mentioned anywhere in the published material. But maybe...
You may instead ask Elaine directly in her thread.

"Adventurers are best used to slay monsters. Sooner or later, they become your worst monsters, and you have to hire new ones to do the obvious thing" - Ralderick Hallowshaw, Jester - from To Rule A Realm, From Turret To Midden, published circa The Year of the Bloodbird

And forgive me for my bad use of English language!
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  16:35:22  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we'll know once Elaine's next book, The Serpent's Daughter, comes out.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  16:54:58  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Allthough i would absolutely hate it, there is the distinct possibility that he has perished of old age.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  20:49:21  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

Allthough i would absolutely hate it, there is the distinct possibility that he has perished of old age.

I would think that's a minor possibility. After all, elves can live for many, many centuries--I doubt one is going to do him in.

We'll just have to wait and see what Serpent's Daughter reveals.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  20:58:58  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

I would think that's a minor possibility. After all, elves can live for many, many centuries--I doubt one is going to do him in.

Cheers

Actually, I believe Elaine herself said that he might have died of old age since she saw him as already being up in years by the time he joined Danilo & Arilyn's story. From the excerpt she gave us, however, I think he might have died swinging. Then again, who knows what the Spellplague may have done...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  22:18:39  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

Cheers

Actually, I believe Elaine herself said that he might have died of old age since she saw him as already being up in years by the time he joined Danilo & Arilyn's story. From the excerpt she gave us, however, I think he might have died swinging. Then again, who knows what the Spellplague may have done...

I failed to produce a source, but yes: Elaine mentioned it a while back. But as Ashe said, who knows what the Spellplague may have done. (fingers crossed, as Elaith is one of my alltime fave's.)
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  12:12:27  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
while were on the topic.what about kymil nimesin.id love to see more of him.one of the realms most intriguing characters.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  14:41:42  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Obviously, I can't reveal "off stage" important information about Elaith Craulnober or Kymil Nimesin. Doing so would remove any possibility of exploring their stories in fiction, and I'm not about to close that door.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  14:44:07  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One thing I've often debated, however, is who should ultimately face down Kymil Nimesin. Elaith and Arilyn both have reason to do so. Either one would make dramatic sense.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  17:20:05  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I''d go with Elaith! Good way to redeem himself.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  17:35:19  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer reading about Elaith, but Arilyn seems interesting too...

Edited by - Jelennet on 18 Oct 2010 17:35:55
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  17:53:37  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I stand corrected.

Still have to wait and see, though.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  19:51:53  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At one point, I did say that Elaith's survival into 4E was by no means certain. The reason was that at the time I didn't know what 4E would do to elven lifespans. If it cut them down to 2 or even 3 centuries, then yes--Elaith would be well past his alloted years.

For many reasons, I think it's best to leave the missing century wreathed in mist. Yes, it's frustrating to not know what happened to certain characters. The impulse to know "what happens next" is, after all, a large part of what drives us to read (and write) in the first place. But why spoil stories that might otherwise be told? That's not part of WotC's plan now and I have no reason to believe that it will be in the future, but it makes sense to me to keep the doors of possibility open.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 18 Oct 2010 19:53:16
Go to Top of Page

Gambit
Learned Scribe

110 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  22:46:26  Show Profile Send Gambit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

+1

You know, towards the end there, I always thought Elaith was on the verge of an alignment change from Neutral Evil to True Neutral...I understand I'm talking game mechanics over story here, well in the sense that alignment is a "game mechanic", but I am curious, was there ever any intention on your part Elaine to at least slightly "reform" him? (As long as it didnt mean losing his snarky personality that is)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  20:00:50  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gambit

quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

+1

You know, towards the end there, I always thought Elaith was on the verge of an alignment change from Neutral Evil to True Neutral...I understand I'm talking game mechanics over story here, well in the sense that alignment is a "game mechanic", but I am curious, was there ever any intention on your part Elaine to at least slightly "reform" him? (As long as it didnt mean losing his snarky personality that is)

Maybe....
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  00:05:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

One thing I've often debated, however, is who should ultimately face down Kymil Nimesin. Elaith and Arilyn both have reason to do so. Either one would make dramatic sense.
BOTH

Make it epic.

One fails and dies, but not before the other delivers the killing-blow to Kymil (something along the lines of the ending of League of Extraodinary Gentlemen). You can finish an old dog, but you have to make it epic and you have to make it count.

Also, think 'Redemption' - I want that serpent to see the light when he dies. If Khelben can be accepted by the Seldarine, then I think that slimeball should have a shot. That doesn't mean he needs to 'get nice' - I don't think that matters to Elves (as much).

Which means it could go the other way, and Arilyn could be the 'fallen hero'. Either would be good - I know you would make the ending great, regardless. I can think of one other thing that must happen, but I'm sure you don't need to take advice from the likes of me.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Oct 2010 00:07:50
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  13:04:20  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
That doesn't mean he needs to 'get nice' - I don't think that matters to Elves (as much).

I couldn't agree more. Elves, imo, are a little puzzled by the concept of "nice." Seriously, try to imagine a Forgotten Realms elf saying, "Have a nice day..." or, "Oh, we should totally let those humans into the inner sanctum of our hidden temple. They're so nice."

For that matter, I doubt Santa's elves are entirely sold on the "naughty or nice" concept. "If this kid is so damn 'nice', why is 'Grand Theft Auto' and I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell on the top of his wish list?"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  02:32:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
That doesn't mean he needs to 'get nice' - I don't think that matters to Elves (as much).

I couldn't agree more. Elves, imo, are a little puzzled by the concept of "nice." Seriously, try to imagine a Forgotten Realms elf saying, "Have a nice day..." or, "Oh, we should totally let those humans into the inner sanctum of our hidden temple. They're so nice."

For that matter, I doubt Santa's elves are entirely sold on the "naughty or nice" concept. "If this kid is so damn 'nice', why is 'Grand Theft Auto' and I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell on the top of his wish list?"

My theory is that the entire "naughty or nice" list is for Santa's benefit. He visits the nice kids on Christmas Eve. He visits the naughty girls the rest of the year!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  02:58:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

There's some inspiration here for a Faerie-specific campaign using the d20 Faeries book. I know it!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  03:17:16  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

There's some inspiration here for a Faerie-specific campaign using the d20 Faeries book. I know it!

Does that book happen to mention the elves from Forgotten Realms at all, or allude to it by chance?

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  05:10:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Does that book happen to mention the elves from Forgotten Realms at all, or allude to it by chance?

Not specifically, but the lore inside the tome is easily customisable for the Realms. And I usually do. Rather regularly in fact. Though, I do also tend to combine most of what I draw from the book with my own other pagan/fey/spiritual elements I've established in my Realms. In some cases though, like the various locales that are described, I've largely dropped them "as is" into my Realms.

Plus, Steven Schend, who partly edited the book, had this little bit to say:-

"For those interested in another take/option on Faerie, there is a D20 option from Bastion Press y'all might want to take a look at.....

Bryon Wischstadt, long-time Realms fanatic and all-around good guy, wrote this guide to Faerie (both the realm/plane and inhabitants) and yours truly edited it alongside him. As both of us (and Jim Butler, Bastion's president, CEO, and chief cook and bottle washer) all have a deep and abiding love for the Realms, there's nothing in there that wouldn't work in terms of using Faerie as a source for ancient elves (or other more modern threats). It's a mix of old folklore and modern conceptions of Faerie and even stats up Old Man Winter, Father Time, and Father Christmas if you want such.

Steven
Who apologizes profusely for plugging a product but it seems relevant to the discussion at hand"

And I actually did buy two copies of Faeries -- one for home and one for work. I really do love reading this book, and it never fails to provide some new tidbit of curious fey lore that I can drop into one of my campaigns.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  05:49:02  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Sage. I actually just got my copy about an hour and a half ago, and plan on looking through it first thing tomorrow, if all goes well. For a long time, I looked for any 2E or 3E adventures or information on Faerie, as I found myself wanting to know more about it after reading Mrs. Cunningham's excellent novel Evermeet: Island of the Elves. I was really wanting to know more about where the elves came from, and what the elven ruins looked like that was claimed by the ocean as it swept the island away after the dance was through, and they found themselves in Faerun. I was really interested in exactly who the elves were at war with, and what dangers lay inside that distant realm. I'm hoping this book can help me answer some of those questions.

Actually, while I'm here, did it ever come out who the elves were fighting in Faerie? And are there any modules you could recommend for further ideas on planning a 3.5E or Pathfinder campaign where elves visit Faerie? Thanks!

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2010 :  19:54:11  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

Thank you, Sage. I actually just got my copy about an hour and a half ago, and plan on looking through it first thing tomorrow, if all goes well. For a long time, I looked for any 2E or 3E adventures or information on Faerie, as I found myself wanting to know more about it after reading Mrs. Cunningham's excellent novel Evermeet: Island of the Elves. I was really wanting to know more about where the elves came from, and what the elven ruins looked like that was claimed by the ocean as it swept the island away after the dance was through, and they found themselves in Faerun. I was really interested in exactly who the elves were at war with, and what dangers lay inside that distant realm. I'm hoping this book can help me answer some of those questions.

Actually, while I'm here, did it ever come out who the elves were fighting in Faerie? And are there any modules you could recommend for further ideas on planning a 3.5E or Pathfinder campaign where elves visit Faerie? Thanks!

I would imagine the enemy would be The UnSeelie Court or perhaps agents of The Anti-Seldarine.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  22:34:37  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My bet's on the Anti-Seldarine. Cause it would be just like that spider-witch to cause the destruction of Tintageer....

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000