Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Banehold! I've been there and it's a lovely place
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mensch
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2010 :  11:08:27  Show Profile Send mensch a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was wondering if anything has been written on the topic of remembering the things that happened to someone when they were dead. So a hero died and was brought back by means of "Raise dead" or "True Resurrection", would he or she remember the things that happened on the Fugue Plane, or would it all seem to be a dream?
If the former is the case a character would be able to reminisce about the baatezu that solicited the character while on the Fugue Plane, or tell stories about the splendors Dweomerheart.

Are there any examples in FR literature on this? Or is this too obscure to even consider.

Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate to know that for destruction ice is also great and would suffice. – Robert Frost (1874 - 1963)

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2010 :  12:57:52  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was Fflar from the Last Mythal, he remembered Arvandor, but elves are special.

And Gwydion from Prince of Lies, but my memory is hazy.

Generally petitioners don't remember their former life, memory is sapped by the Astral conduits, a rare few have glimpses. When they return they have little or no memory of their time on the planes, the return of original memories pushes that away. There were cases that picked up someone else's memories in the Astral.

Check On Hallowed Ground for more
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2010 :  19:29:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it works the same way in both directions - you remember 'that other place' as "a hazy, half-remembered dream", that fades over time.

SPOILER for 1st Erevis Cale trilogy.............

Jakk was already starting to lose his connection to the prime in the Erevis Cale novels soon after he died. That description of the Halfling afterlife made Paul Kemp one of my favorite FR authors.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2010 :  23:55:59  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mark...

The halfling's name is Jak. I'm Jakk. The similarity in our names is entirely coincidental. I'm about twice his height, for one. And I've had this nickname since before Mr. Kemp started writing in the Realms. And I agree, he's one of my favourite FR authors too.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 25 Sep 2010 23:59:35
Go to Top of Page

mensch
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2010 :  22:24:53  Show Profile Send mensch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought as much regarding the hazy memory of a resurrected person. I'll have a look at "On Hallowed Ground" though, it was referenced in another scroll of mine on planar travel. Both 3.5e "Faiths and Pantheons" and the campaign setting are a bit vague on the details regarding the afterlife.

Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate to know that for destruction ice is also great and would suffice. – Robert Frost (1874 - 1963)

Edited by - mensch on 30 Sep 2010 22:25:10
Go to Top of Page

Brace Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

294 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  13:42:17  Show Profile  Visit Brace Cormaeril's Homepage Send Brace Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mensch

I thought as much regarding the hazy memory of a resurrected person. I'll have a look at "On Hallowed Ground" though, it was referenced in another scroll of mine on planar travel. Both 3.5e "Faiths and Pantheons" and the campaign setting are a bit vague on the details regarding the afterlife.

Hmmm... Fugue Plane. I wonder if the sages of 'yore named the Fugue Plane for some characteristic of the plane.

Anyone know what 'Fugue' means?

The Silver Fire's Blade: A Novella in Nine Parts, Available Soon, in the Adventuring Forum!
Go to Top of Page

mensch
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  15:13:20  Show Profile Send mensch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe its meaning is taken from "Fugue State" which is a psychotic disorder:
quote:
Dissociative fugue usually involves unplanned travel or wandering, and is sometimes accompanied by the establishment of a new identity. After recovery from fugue, previous memories usually return intact, however there is complete amnesia for the fugue episode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugue_state
That sounds awfully like what a stay on the "Fugue Plane" generally represents.

Edited by - mensch on 06 Oct 2010 15:14:37
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2010 :  15:16:35  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's interesting, matches the description from On Hallowed Ground.

Before I always thought it had something with the fugue in music, dark, haunting, dirgesinger-like. Even replaced Kelemvor with Finder cause of that.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  10:34:43  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The definitions I found,
In music - a fugue is a form of music in which an imitative theme or structure is successively repeated (in higher and lower tones), such as many voices singing "row, row, row your boat".
In psychology - a fugue can be a dreamlike state of altered consciousness during which a person is unable to remember his past life and often wanders away from home; or it can be a condition of temporary amnesia during which one is apparently conscious of one's actions but has no recollection of them after returning to a normal state.
In mathematics - a fugue can be a function with an output computed through recursive iterations of self-referencing input parameters.
(from French fugue, Italian fuga, Latin fugis, meaning "running away", "flight", "escape"); so tempus fugis is "time flies" and pumilius fugis is "dwarf flies"

So, fugue plane is indeed an interesting name.
It seems to imply that when (dead) people arrive they are apparently conscious (as far as they can tell) but don't really remember their past lives, and conversely, when they leave the fugue plane (via Resurrection, etc) and return to a normal (living) state they don't really remember their experiences on the plane. The dead might never realize that they're endlessly imitating and repeating themes from their former lives. I wonder how Speak with Dead spells fit into this concept ...

Divine servants are regularly deployed to the fugue plane, they sort through the mess, gather the souls that belong to a particular divine power, and take them to whatever afterlife awaits on the appropriate outer plane. My understanding is that only creatures with souls arrive on the fugue plane; elves have spirits, dragons have anima, etc. (I stick with 2e rules, no need to change what's already established and still works.)

The Avatar Series novels briefly described conditions on the fugue plane. Admittedly, the "normal" order of things was a bit skewed and things got a bit crowded on the plane during the Avatar Crisis, but the fundamental properties of the plane itself probably weren't affected.
If I recall correctly, the faithful were wandering around in a panic calling for their gods, and a few individuals behaved much as they would when alive (interacting with the characters and even each other), although they clearly understood that they'd already died and knew where they were. (I could be wrong here; I've visited the fugue plane myself as a player, long ago, and I might be a bit mixed up in my details.)

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 14 Oct 2010 10:58:34
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000