Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Jergal
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BOZ
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  17:28:56  Show Profile  Visit BOZ's Homepage Send BOZ a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What was Jergal's first appearance? He was in the "Netheril" boxed set, and in "Power & Pantheons" in late 2nd edition before appearing in the novel "Crucible: Trial of Cyric the Mad", but I don't think those were his first appearances. Did he appear in the novel "Prince of Lies", or get a mention in any other game books before then?

http://www.geocities.com/kbozman74/BOZ.html

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  18:34:43  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I remember, Jergal's first appearance was in Prince of Lies. The Netheril boxed set came only later.
Go to Top of Page

BOZ
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  18:40:44  Show Profile  Visit BOZ's Homepage Send BOZ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, OK, I was wondering if he was in "Prince of Lies" or not - thanks. :)

http://www.geocities.com/kbozman74/BOZ.html
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2010 :  09:09:25  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to remember he being mentioned as the Scribe of the god of Death in the 2nd ed box set, among minor gods and quasi-deities. But I don't have the gods and persons book from that box handy at the moment so I might be wrong. But that would be before both Netheril and Prince of Lies.
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2010 :  09:49:52  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

I seem to remember he being mentioned as the Scribe of the god of Death in the 2nd ed box set, among minor gods and quasi-deities. But I don't have the gods and persons book from that box handy at the moment so I might be wrong. But that would be before both Netheril and Prince of Lies.

By thunder, sir, you are right! Jergal is mentioned, and the 2E boxed set was published in July 1993; Prince of Lies dates from August 1993. Netheril: Empire of Magic was published in October 1996.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  23:21:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And you know Jergal existence was forced upon the Realms, right?

Purely metagaming....

Fans kept asking questions like "What happened to the dead during the Avatar Crisis?", and Jergal was the 'patch'.

Otherwise, how the hell could people have died or been judged or anything else relating to the afterlife without anyone in charge?

Note both his first appearances coincide with the ToT re-boot. They needed him, and the novel confirms the source.

Unless someone can find a 1e reference, I'm betting my bottom dollar that's what happened. Not that I mind Jergal - I actually rather like him.

But I still think he was just a 'lore patch' initially.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Oct 2010 23:22:47
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  14:50:06  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

And you know Jergal existence was forced upon the Realms, right?

Purely metagaming....

Fans kept asking questions like "What happened to the dead during the Avatar Crisis?", and Jergal was the 'patch'.

Otherwise, how the hell could people have died or been judged or anything else relating to the afterlife without anyone in charge?

Note both his first appearances coincide with the ToT re-boot. They needed him, and the novel confirms the source.

Unless someone can find a 1e reference, I'm betting my bottom dollar that's what happened. Not that I mind Jergal - I actually rather like him.

But I still think he was just a 'lore patch' initially.

I did not know this, but it does not seem unplausible for Jergal's genesis... This confirmed somewhere?

It's been years since I read the Avatar trilogy, so not sure if the issue of people dying during the crisis was ever handled, but I seem to recollect that when Midnight reached the Fugue Plain (where she ran into the late and lamented Sneakabout) that the dead did continue to arrive in the Fugue Plain, and then were simply stuck there, unclaimed by their patron powers until all the powers were reinstated and bascially drove by the Fugue Plain on the way home to pick up their deceased followers.

Now, I also recollect that there were mentions / scenes in Prince of Lies where the absence of Cyric from his duties (can't remember why - might have had something to do with his shutting himself off to hunt for Kelemvor), people did not die (I particularly remember a scene of a Menzo drow getting a lot more mileage out of a torture victim).

I'd never come upon that particular inconsistency until now. Odd. As I am in the process of unpacking boxes anyway, I might just as well have a look at those books.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  17:18:08  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do any one know why/how Jergal got into the published Realms? Is he from Ed? I get the feeling that he was not from the original Realms. Is he a creation of Jeff Grubb or one of the people working on the Avatar Series? Or am I wrong and he has been a part of the Realms since the start?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  01:12:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Do any one know why/how Jergal got into the published Realms? Is he from Ed? I get the feeling that he was not from the original Realms. Is he a creation of Jeff Grubb or one of the people working on the Avatar Series? Or am I wrong and he has been a part of the Realms since the start?

Yes, Jergal is an Ed creation. But he's received the most "published" attention from Julia Martin, Eric Boyd, George Krashos and others from what little lore Ed provided.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  08:34:56  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Yes, Jergal is an Ed creation. But he's received the most "published" attention from Julia Martin, Eric Boyd, George Krashos and others from what little lore Ed provided.

Thanks Sage. Do you by chance remember if any lore was supplied for Jergal before the 2nd ed. Campaign set?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  09:08:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks Sage. Do you by chance remember if any lore was supplied for Jergal before the 2nd ed. Campaign set?

Nothing official, as I can recall. Though you might want to ask Ed anyway.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  10:06:38  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nothing official, as I can recall. Though you might want to ask Ed anyway.

Yea that seems like a good idea. Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  08:34:53  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I asked The Hooded One and got this reply:

"Hi again, all.
Jorkens, I recall hearing about Jergal in Realmsplay years ago (about the time we players received our legal release forms for our characters, in TSR's initial purchase of the Realms, in 1986), so he was definitely part of Ed's original Realms. More than that, I can't say, because in Ed's Realms the creeds, prayers, and portfolios of the gods (and the doings of their clergy) were known to all, but personal details of the gods themselves, and their avatars, was far more sketchy (unless you were a high-ranking priest of a particular god, or a sages of matters religious) - - and because Jergal, among the gods, was a figure of mystery and some controversy (as opposed to, say, Chauntea or Tempus, whom "everybody could grasp" the aims and concerns of).
I know that the "former god of death, now manipulating other deities" notion is Ed, but I believe specific details of Jergal's doings have been added or augmented by Eric Boyd, Julia Martin, and others (George Krashos? Steven Schend?) in the years since Jergal's first print appearance.
love,
THO"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  22:54:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I stand corrected.

Guess they only 'unveiled' him when they had a use for him.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000