Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Being Ignored on the WotC forums
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

EltonJ
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  13:11:45  Show Profile  Visit EltonJ's Homepage Send EltonJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Yep, my post on WotC being ignored. I wonder if everyone who posted there on their Realms threads is posting here.

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  13:19:29  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Introspection and further reading are the answers. Think of what you posted and find probable reasons why no one ever bothered to reply to your post. And what better way to find such reasons than read the posts of other members, which no doubt have some loose or tight connection to your ignored post.

I myself don't bother to comment on some topics: 4E debate, elfish matters....

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 09 Sep 2010 01:56:27
Go to Top of Page

EltonJ
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  13:28:58  Show Profile  Visit EltonJ's Homepage Send EltonJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

Introspection and further are the answers. Think of what you posted and find probable reasons why no one ever bothered to reply to your post. And what better way to find such reasons than read the posts of other members, which no doubt have some loose or tight connection to your ignored post.

I myself don't bother to comment on some topics: 4E debate, elfish matters....

True, but my post on the Running the Realms forum has stayed at the top for too long. Which means no one is posting on that particular forum. Whether or not I talked about using a different system is irrevelant. The Running the Realms forum on WotC is effectively . . . DEAD.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  13:32:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Allow me to be blunt, since you already know *the* reason, why bother post this topic, then?

Edited by - Dennis on 08 Sep 2010 13:33:23
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  14:05:25  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't post there much, but that neck of the WotC boards is pretty sparsely populated, so don't take it personally.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  16:59:29  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You think thats bad, nobody responds when I post here at candlekeep. LOL
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  17:15:17  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't much visit those forums anymore either. They're long overdue to be consolidated into one forum. Seems to me like the LFR forums are the "real" Realms forums over there anymore since those particular boards get way more traffic (IMO).
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  23:11:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sometimes Music is the answer...

A long, long time ago...
I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those people dance
And, maybe, they’d be happy for a while.

But February made me shiver
With every paper I’d deliver.
Bad news on the doorstep;
I couldn’t take one more step.

--- American Pie

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2010 :  00:55:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've not even looked at the WotC forums in a while... Since I was wrongfully banned from there, I've not paid much attention to them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2010 :  01:00:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like to check in every now and then, to see if any interesting Realmslore tidbits have come up from Brian or other Realms designers. But that's pretty much the ONLY reason, now.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2010 :  04:44:46  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The WOTC forums are indeed pretty dead. Most of the interesting people who posted there have stopped posting. I assume that the lack of new products has created a sparsity of information to discuss. And the negative posters have made it an unpleasant place to hang out, driving away the designers and the fun people who had interesting things to say.

I feel strongly that the WotC boards could have used more active moderation and trimming of posts to keep the place civil and more upbeat. It's a shame really. It was a great place to hang out once upon a time.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2010 :  05:18:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

I feel strongly that the WotC boards could have used more active moderation and trimming of posts to keep the place civil and more upbeat. It's a shame really. It was a great place to hang out once upon a time.

Really? Did the moderation change, over the years? I ask because of my own negative experience with the moderation over there... One of my warnings was a global warning issued to everyone who'd participated in a particular thread, regardless of what they actually said (my own post in that thread was neutrally pointing out that the intent of the original poster was unclear, because of their grammar). Another warning was because I discussed the possibility of a novel -- not an actual novel, not plot or setting, but that a particular designer hadn't written a novel (in response to a question about whether or not he had), and noting that I'd be interested if he did write a novel.

And to this day I don't know what my final warning was about, because the thread was deleted within hours of whatever the offense was. I've followed up on that one twice, in the interest of clearing my name, and never got anywhere.

So my experience with the moderation there was that they were overly quick to jump on any issues, and rather indiscriminate with their response to those issues.

I must note that my stay there started just after novel discussions were banned, and only lasted 6 months or so.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2010 :  05:22:28  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 4E transition happened years ago. Much of the noise over that died down months if not years in the past. There was some decent discussion after the transition hoopla, much of it discussion on the new 4E setting and the Insider articles. There was even an upshot of activity when the new forums debuted, but its buggy start turned many away. For a while after, old and new posters tried to create an active community, but gradually many drifted away. After that it just didn't sustain the same activity as before.

Now that the activity has died down, the multiple FR sub-forums become a bit of a hindrance to driving activity because some sub-forums are inactive for days.

Edited by - Dark Wizard on 09 Sep 2010 05:24:58
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2010 :  05:24:00  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Double Post, apologies

Edited by - Dark Wizard on 09 Sep 2010 05:24:37
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2010 :  07:59:14  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally I can't stand the new boards, even Gleemax was tolerable comparing to it. Ironically that's why I did not post at Candlekeep during the old days.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2010 :  08:18:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

It was a great place to hang out once upon a time.

Indeed. The long-gone heady days of you, Kuje, myself, GothicDan, and the rest of the "old gang." I'm glad I saved most of those now-ancient discussion threads. They still make for interesting reading.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2010 :  13:35:39  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did not know they still had a forum.

I thought it was destroyed in a "blue" fire or somesuch disaster?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2010 :  19:40:15  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so do the archives have a search feature. Ive tried looking for myth drannor
tidbits in Rich's discussion forum and can't narrow stuff down.
Go to Top of Page

Brix
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2010 :  19:58:54  Show Profile Send Brix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many interessting threads are simply gone (old wizard boards, Gleemax). That's frustrating.
and.........
[starting flame war]
I don't like the 4E Realms
[/starting flame war]

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2010 :  19:59:28  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

so do the archives have a search feature. Ive tried looking for myth drannor
tidbits in Rich's discussion forum and can't narrow stuff down.

They do but I don't know how far it goes back honestly. When they re-vamped the forums, it wiped out alot of stuff.

I still try to post over there as much as possible but the discussions often fade and there are a lot of dead threads. I dunno if it's just the more vocal posters have left or if the discussions have just been re-hashed to death. I remember my early days a few years back when I'd have heated arguments and discussions with GothicDan, Rin, and Lord_Karsus. Good times...
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2010 :  20:08:50  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Choose your flavor...

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.wizards.com/community

Edited by - Matt James on 09 Sep 2010 20:09:41
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2010 :  20:13:43  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the WotC bookclub (http://community.wizards.com/bookclub) is much more interesting--and will be much MORE interesting in the near future.

And I'm not JUST saying that because I'm (at least soon to be) one of the mods there.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Brix
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2010 :  20:30:03  Show Profile Send Brix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Matt. Nice video. You really rocked the session at gen con. Only seconded by Ed and his gleaming staff.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2010 :  20:42:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's days when I remember all of the drama on the WOTC boards. Ah, those were the days. Smirk.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2010 :  01:11:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only caught the tail-end of the WotC boards 'hey day', unfortunately. That first year I became a regular over there was awesome, though.

The war at the end was ugly... better off dead, I suppose.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2010 :  01:29:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Yeah, the WotC bookclub (http://community.wizards.com/bookclub) is much more interesting--and will be much MORE interesting in the near future.

And I'm not JUST saying that because I'm (at least soon to be) one of the mods there.

Cheers

Very interesting. Looks like I'll have to make this a somewhat more frequent stop during my daily web-wandering.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2010 :  01:42:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Cheers

Hmmm....A nice place to visit---perhaps.

Go to Top of Page

Pazuzu
Seeker

Germany
61 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2010 :  07:56:55  Show Profile Send Pazuzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One more thing not mentioned before why I don't go there anymore, is that the layout is so bad. Why did they created their own forum software?!?

May your dice obey your will. - Gary Gygax (*1938 - †2008)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2010 :  08:13:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pazuzu

One more thing not mentioned before why I don't go there anymore, is that the layout is so bad. Why did they created their own forum software?!?

Speaking as both a programmer and someone who has his hands in some pretty significant web-developments here in Australia, I can tell you that it's probably due to the fact that it's often easier to both implement your ideas and work with something you've created, than try to make existing software work for you. Especially if we're talking about such an expansive virtual community like Wizards.com.

Much of the generalised examples of existing forum software are easily adaptable, and offer a great deal of flexibility and creativity. But, sometimes, either as a programmer or web-developer, you'll ultimately find the "best" option is simply to design it yourself. That way, at least, you can ensure that you'll get exactly what you're looking for in terms of offering prime web-interactivity.

Does it always work out for the best? No. Will you succeed in pleasing everybody who uses your system? Certainly not. However, working with your own software only makes it that much easier to tinker and toy around with your work, and try to tailor it in such a way as to be as user-friendly to as many people as possible.

Go to Top of Page

Pazuzu
Seeker

Germany
61 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2010 :  08:29:50  Show Profile Send Pazuzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I know the reason why they did it, but I cannot support that decision, both as an programmer and a economist. The website launched with a lot of bugs, and it took also a long time to fix them. Furthermore, the just reinvented the wheel, without any really new features. And I guess it was really expensive :-D
They could saved money, time, and bugs by using just existing software, though they may drop some of their ideas.

Just my 2 cents, and the reason why I don't like the forum, and even the whole community.

May your dice obey your will. - Gary Gygax (*1938 - †2008)
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2010 :  07:10:44  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I signed up on the WotC forums shortly after the release of 4E, before the release of 4E Realms, and every one of my (really quite civil) posts was ignored until I requested, with palpable exasperation, to have my account deactivated. This request was responded to almost immediately; I did have time to log off, but only just... I tried to log back on five minutes later, and I couldn't.

So... they do listen to you; you just have to ask the right questions.

It was all for the best, really... I play and run two game systems these days: Pathfinder and Tunnels & Trolls, 5th Edition; the latter was the game that got me into role-playing in the first place. If I could afford to buy Ed's new Elminster novels in hardcover, it would be the only money WotC would see from me... unless, of course, they decide to release the Cormyr Lineage on a "pay per download" model separate from DDI. As I've said before, I'd happily pay for that document, whether in PDF, PTF (Plain Text Format), or DTF (Dead Tree Format). Apart from that, I can't think of anything they're now capable of offering that I'm interested in.

Edit: Well, there's also the un-cancelled Cycle of Night trilogy, when it comes along... and I'll be keeping an eye on the novels generally.

Happy rant over.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 12 Sep 2010 07:14:25
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000