Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Being Ignored on the WotC forums
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lord of Bones
Seeker

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2010 :  10:38:14  Show Profile  Visit Lord of Bones's Homepage Send Lord of Bones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was a member there (and still am, I believe!) under this username way back when, and I used to be a pretty frequent poster. After the ban came in regarding discussing novels, my interest began to wane. I find the community on candlekeep, not to mention the lore that is thrown around with gay abandon, a much more enjoyable place to lurk.

Come watch the Gentleman's Guide to Gaming!
http://www.youtube.com/user/clackclickbang

On my channel I review and dissect role-playing games with great gusto. Please do take a look and let me know what you think.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2010 :  21:24:13  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never really understood the ban on discussing novels... was it just to prevent people from getting a "CliffNotes" version and thereby not having to buy the novel? That makes about as much sense as the move they made to pull PDF sales because they didn't want people pirating them. Well, the PDF sales revenue stream has well and truly dried up for them by their own actions, and I'm sure that the piracy continues as undeterred as ever. In fact, it's probably worse, because the people who want PDF sources now have no choice but to (a) make the PDFs themselves, either from their own purchased hardcopy or illegally from someone else's, or (b) download them illegally.

Edit: I bought a bunch of PDFs before they were pulled, and I've been living without the ones I don't have; I have all my 3.x stuff in dead tree editions with me, but all of my pre-3E hardcopy material is still in storage far too far away... hopefully I'll get a chance to collect it all this fall finally...

Just a thought... hopefully someone in WotC marketing finds this, but then, WotC didn't listen to me when I posted there, so why would they listen to me now?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 12 Sep 2010 21:29:18
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2010 :  21:52:12  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Threads on novels get insulting to the writers perhaps?

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2010 :  09:27:15  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few years back I was a frequent poster at Wizards forum. Now I rarely visit... After the change many people left and no one is interested in FR/D&D. No replies, no comments - no reason to post... and the circle is finished.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2010 :  14:51:39  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wenin

Threads on novels get insulting to the writers perhaps?

This hits the nail on the head, as I understand it. It predates my time writing for WotC, but I think the decision was made because people were launching personal attacks at the author of a book they didn't like, and the company didn't need that grief.

Since, novel discussion has come back as a valid topic, and that is one of the main purposes of the bookclub (see my post above).

Anyone and everyone is very welcome there, and we try hard to maintain a civil tone--so far, no problems.*

Cheers

*P.S. There was one rather funny thread which was called the Book Bashing Thread: Downshadow (or something like that), which was all about brainless attacks on my book and me as an author, but I think that was mostly entertainment rather than actual reviews. Not that I'm encouraging that sort of thing, but we managed to take it in stride.

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2010 :  15:01:40  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

*P.S. There was one rather funny thread which was called the Book Bashing Thread: Downshadow (or something like that), which was all about brainless attacks on my book and me as an author, but I think that was mostly entertainment rather than actual reviews. Not that I'm encouraging that sort of thing, but we managed to take it in stride.

I remember that thread. I think it was the Original Poster's idea of commenting on the book and being funny about it at the same time. For the most part, the reviews on that thread were rather positive. And, BTW, I went to Borders and I did not see your book on the shelves Erik and I was rather pissed. I don't know if it cuz they sold out or what but finding a copy is rather difficult. Still looking though.
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  13:20:58  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I asked an Eberron question about a week ago, only two people responded.

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  16:33:39  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Off-topic, but . . .

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

And, BTW, I went to Borders and I did not see your book on the shelves Erik and I was rather pissed. I don't know if it cuz they sold out or what but finding a copy is rather difficult. Still looking though.
I find it's usually a good idea to check online before you go to see if they have copies in stock, and ask at customer service if you're already in the store. Sometimes they have them in the back and just haven't put them out on the shelf.

And there's always Amazon.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  20:12:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can always tell if a bookstore has a 'resident geek' by how well-stocked their SciFi and Fantasy section is.

I used to go to a Walden's Books in the mall near me, just because the girl that worked there was a D&D nerd (and not too shabby looking either!) Even though the store was rather small, especially compared to the new 'super book stores' (Borders, Barnes & Noble), she always kept the game section and the Fantasy section WELL stocked, and was the only store around I could find just about any D&D novel, no matter how obscure.

That was awhile back - Borders has since 'eaten' the Waldens chain.

The girl - now a woman - is manager their now, but since they are pretty much told what to carry by 'corporate' (they are considered a 'Borders express'), she can't keep her game and SciFi section nearly as complete as she did years ago.

{sigh}... not only did I find a great bookstore, but I found a pretty girl that played D&D! A rare treasure indeed...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Sep 2010 20:13:31
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000