Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 who would you like to see
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Archimedes of Syracuse
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2010 :  22:27:58  Show Profile  Visit Archimedes of Syracuse's Homepage Send Archimedes of Syracuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Simple question. out of the many amazing and up and coming authors in the realms who would you like to see get their own series?

For me its Eric Scott for sure with jess elbow a close second

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2010 :  23:05:06  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine Cunningham!!

Erik Scott de Bie

Jaliegh Johnson...at least she is getting to do a follow up to The Unbroken Chain

Steven Schend

Rosemary Jones

and

Brian Cortijo

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 01 Sep 2010 23:06:41
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2010 :  23:08:13  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven Schend.
Go to Top of Page

Archimedes of Syracuse
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2010 :  23:26:29  Show Profile  Visit Archimedes of Syracuse's Homepage Send Archimedes of Syracuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Elaine Cunningham!!

Erik Scott de Bie

Jaliegh Johnson...at least she is getting to do a follow up to The Unbroken Chain

Steven Schend

Rosemary Jones

Not sure is consider Elaine up and coming lol but she's getting a new series which is going to be amazin, I woulda put mark shednest(however you spell his last name lol but he got his.series and its a solid read

and

Brian Cortijo

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2010 :  00:01:14  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Next novel = Shadowbane, September 2011.

Also working on another FR novel for afterward, though no details at the moment.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2010 :  17:55:27  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Next novel = Shadowbane, September 2011.

Also working on another FR novel for afterward, though no details at the moment.

Cheers

Be sure to come here first with info on your next novel Erik. It will be much anticipated methinks
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2010 :  18:05:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jessica Alba.

Ohhh... my bad... this thread was about authors...

okay, how about Jessica Alba with me as her ghost writer?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2010 :  19:22:28  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Brian Cortijo
Umm
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2010 :  19:29:16  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, please give Eric his own series so he finally does not have to leave that many issues open as he usually does...

Paul already got his series... only Elaine missing then!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2010 :  19:52:08  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Yes, please give Eric his own series so he finally does not have to leave that many issues open as he usually does...
What can I say--I'm a big meanie.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2010 :  19:54:36  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

...and that's why you should get a 9-book series or something alike...

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2010 :  20:19:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Cheers

NO....

You are following Ed's MOST EXCELLENT advice to the original FR author/designers - "for every plot-hook you use up, create three more". In other words, the solution to any problem should only lead to more questions, else the setting stagnates.

Bravo, Mr. de Bie, BRAVO. {insert much-needed hand-clapping smiley here}

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Sep 2010 20:20:19
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2010 :  01:26:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to say "ALL of them." I'm content enough with the Realmslore coming from the new generation of Realms authors, that I'd like to see each of them have the opportunity to pen their own series.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2010 :  15:38:55  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'd have to say "ALL of them." I'm content enough with the Realmslore coming from the new generation of Realms authors, that I'd like to see each of them have the opportunity to pen their own series.

Well said. And seconded.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2010 :  22:34:05  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Schend series involving the Moonstars (or Dukars), Elaine's series about the fey or Elaith, Erik, something heretical.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2010 :  17:32:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mark Sehestedt

Not because he is the best writer, but because of his area of interst - both of his novels have shown the Taan a lot of love - something many designers/authors tend to overlook (and an area in much need of lore).

Enough about the Heartlands - lets see more characters and locations from further afield.

Drizzt and company can no longer bring anything to the table without screwing-up an already well-established historical region. I applaud RAS's breaking away from his normal cast with the Cleric Quintet, and would love to see more of those kinds of glimpses of obscure corners of the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2010 :  19:02:12  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

You are following Ed's MOST EXCELLENT advice to the original FR author/designers - "for every plot-hook you use up, create three more". In other words, the solution to any problem should only lead to more questions, else the setting stagnates.
Bravo, Mr. de Bie, BRAVO. {insert much-needed hand-clapping smiley here}
Heh. Actually, that's *exactly* what I'm doing.

And believe me--heresy is totally in.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2010 :  00:42:22  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
Brian Cortijo
Umm

Your knowledge and feel for the realms is a poorly kept secret While I do not know you well enough to know if this is even something you want, I'm sure you'd be a fine choice to tackle one of the many uncovered areas of Cormyr or beyond. I can't imagine, what with your obvious passion , that there isn't a story you'd like to tell.

P.S. When it happens send me an autographed copy won't you?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2010 :  20:50:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Steven Schend. Though it'd be better if his series won't be set in Waterdeep. I've had enough of Waterdeep novels. Perhaps in Rashemen, Aglarond, Cormyr or Thay.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  01:26:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

Steven Schend. Though it'd be better if his series won't be set in Waterdeep. I've had enough of Waterdeep novels. Perhaps in Rashemen, Aglarond, Cormyr or Thay.
I'd imagine Sage Schend would probably welcome any opportunity to explore, through fiction, locations throughout the Empires of the Shining Sea as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  02:02:03  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see another Cormyr novel, especially one written in the style of Ed Greenwood and Jeff Grubb's novel where lore from the past is mixed in with the current storyline. Even though I'm not very happy with the post-Spellplague Realms I would still enjoy seeing a good writer's take on the specifics of Cormyr's history following the Year of Blue Flame. On a related note, if any books or articles came out in the past year or two on the subject of Cormyr's fate in the years following 1385 I probably missed them and would appreciate anyone who could point me in the right direction. Other than finishing Paul S. Kemp's trilogy and recently starting and stopping Swordmage I haven't read any of the current-timeline realms novels so its possible information on Cormyr slipped into one of those and I missed it.

Edited to say that I also am looking forward to reading the Godborn novels by Paul S. Kemp who I think is a very good writer and one who will have an interesting story to tell regardless of the background it is set in.

Edited by - idilippy on 08 Sep 2010 02:03:33
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  05:18:42  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[pops up] I vote Cormyr trilogy by Brian Cortijo. [pops back down]

Who was that masked man?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  11:48:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by dennis

I'd imagine Sage Schend would probably welcome any opportunity to explore, through fiction, locations throughout the Empires of the Shining Sea as well.

That’d be nice. I’d settle for anything but Waterdeep, being over-used lately, and Chessenta and Innarlith, being on top of my List of Should-be Literally Forgotten Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  11:56:37  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by idilippy

I'd like to see another Cormyr novel, especially one written in the style of Ed Greenwood and Jeff Grubb's novel where lore from the past is mixed in with the current storyline.

It really is nice when authors make an effort of digging the past and connecting it to the present. ‘Tis one of the reasons I enjoy reading most of Ed’s novels.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2010 :  22:20:51  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[pops up] I vote Cormyr trilogy by Brian Cortijo. [pops back down]

Who was that masked man?

Cheers

That kinda backs up my thoughts!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll