Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Bringing the Realms to Life
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

EltonJ
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  21:21:48  Show Profile  Visit EltonJ's Homepage Send EltonJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I wonder if you all, as Gamemasters, bring the realms to life around your players. They do something, but the world doesn't exactly revolve around them, you know? NPCs have their own lives.

Say like Farmer Joe starts a romance with an eladrin since the last time you saw him. the next time you see him, he has a fine eladrin wife.

Or the lowly, lanky kid they met one day is squired to a knight (young boys become pages, then they squire, then they become knights. Young girls have it differently).

Or perhaps the ruined castle they cleared out of "vagrants" and "squatters" (re: monsters) is occupied by humans and the king starts rebuilding it.

Instead of the general events, do you create local events? That's what I'm getting at. If you don't think about it, you should. Who knows what plots and adventure that would lead to in the future.

IngoDjan
Learned Scribe

Brazil
146 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  22:16:09  Show Profile  Visit IngoDjan's Homepage Send IngoDjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A lot of them. A tip is to use random event table to NPCs as you create them.
Actually, I created a excel file that generate 'apply' a event to a NPC that automatically update everytime players encounters them (I hit 'f9' key). Like, friend/family member just died or NPC got a promotion, things like that. This affect the humor of the NPCs when the players meet them. Like, first time the NPC is a happy tavern servant, second time that happy servant is worried because a secret has been discovery. I grant you, this works 'more than very fine' in tables, as the players interact with the NPC and the master roleplay.

Ingo Djan
DUNGEON MASTER AO OF THE DIAMONDS!
"I see the future repeat the past. It all is a museum of great news. The Time do not stop."
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2010 :  07:42:12  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I know what you mean. I've got events happening off stage and the general day to day life of Faerun trundling on, a notable example being the half-blind farmers wife that the PCs handed over a captive goblin wrapped in bunting to. They occasionally come across the goblin being 'raised' by the farmers and it usually makes obscene gestures at them.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2010 :  13:31:52  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EltonJ

Instead of the general events, do you create local events? That's what I'm getting at.

I do this all the time. But, I use not only local events, but regional and far-away events as well.

For example, as the PC's are shopping for new gear in Marsember, they'll hear local gosip about a change in command for the local tax collectors due to the corruption of the previous commander (actually a reference to a previous adventure, to show the players that they can and do make an impact with their work).

They'll also hear much discussion about a possible reinstatment of the tax on windows (my chance to use some of the material Ed greenwood provides for us to use).

They'll hear about ships leaving for parts east, and the dangers of crossing the Sea of Fallen Stars due to increased pirate activity. (both an adventure oppertunity and knowledge about places they haven't been).

Finally, they'll hear about the lack of goods from Amn and Tethyr because of Zhent activity on caravans in the west. (again an adventure lead, as well as a tease, because their last villian was a Zhent mage that escaped and flew west with several of their best magic items.)

Rumors make the world go round.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Pazuzu
Seeker

Germany
61 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2010 :  13:36:51  Show Profile Send Pazuzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also do it, but it depends on my players when and how much. Sometimes it is fun to give a NPC a special background, but if you do it for every NPC it will loose some of its charm.

May your dice obey your will. - Gary Gygax (*1938 - †2008)
Go to Top of Page

EltonJ
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2010 :  04:31:37  Show Profile  Visit EltonJ's Homepage Send EltonJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or realism.

But some PCs can be special.
Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2010 :  22:19:27  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's the way I try to get the FR keeping spinning around the characters.

1.) every 2nd session at the latest they get 1 or 2 sheets of local rumors (mostly set up by me), mixed up with regionals (from various sources, like Novels or FR Modules 1e - 3.5e ) and far away little RSEs (Last one were the Iakhovas novels)
If they came back to the same region let us say half a year later, some evolutions can be noted.

2.) NPCs from past adventures who eventually befriend the characters may show up again here and there with there own news and personal oppinions.

3.) some adventure seeds are set up one or two adventures before it is actually involving the characters.

4.)I Try to be a bit narrative each time they arrive in a town or village

5.) try to make them aware of the different regional characteristics

6.) put some fun in urban encounters and hopefully players will remember.

Edited by - Dewaint on 11 Sep 2010 22:23:10
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000