Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Deserts
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John Smith
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2010 :  20:05:44  Show Profile Send John Smith a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Which areas of the Forgotten Realms most resemble the Sahara Desert? Which resemble the Gobi Desert?

Thanks in advance....

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2010 :  20:27:00  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What part of the Sahara, or the Gobi? As Lawrence of Arabia proved decades ago, there's more to the desert than just drifting sand dunes.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2010 :  20:40:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picture the Raurin being very much like the Sahara. The Quoya would probably be the best analog of the Gobi, and Anauroch is probably like both the Sonoran (southern portion) and the Mohavi deserts (northern part).

The Calim desert would probably be close to the Arabian desert (naturally).

The Stoney Wastes (in Ulgarth) would be similar to the Syrian Desert.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

John Smith
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2010 :  18:32:32  Show Profile Send John Smith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Markustay for the info. Very helpful.
Go to Top of Page

EltonJ
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2010 :  05:35:45  Show Profile  Visit EltonJ's Homepage Send EltonJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Smith

Thank you Markustay for the info. Very helpful.

I see Anuaroch to be more like the Great Basin Desert, since it's a cold desert (receives much of it's moisture as snow).

There are some books on deserts that you might want to check up on.
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
511 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2010 :  15:36:19  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know which desert the Plains of Purple Dust around Mulhorand are supposed to be like. Maybe partly like the Sahara, namely since it's part of the Raurin. Of course, the Plains of Purple Dust are infused with magic AND infested with purple worms, so that's rather unique in itself.

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2010 :  17:12:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only the northern portion of the Anauroch is cold - the southern portion gets blisteringly hot in the summer months (with temperatures plummeting at night, much like Death Valley). This is why I compared Anauroch to 2 deserts, but in truth it is like 3 - the final, most northern portion is like the Arctic Desert.

Think Greenland for that final 1/3 of Anauroch.

And yes, the Raurin is also like 3 deserts, with the Plains of Purple Dust most resembling a purplish version of the Arabian desert. The lower half is rocky desert, and the eastern 1/3 (Desert of Desolation) is similar to the Egyptian Theben desert (including the ruins).

Larger deserts like those two are hard to categorize because the are different in various places - I was just giving very broad, sweeping strokes. At the end of the day, all FR deserts are any way the DM wants them to be.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000