Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Interesting Characters in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

creyzi4zb12
Learned Scribe

Philippines
129 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2010 :  13:46:57  Show Profile  Visit creyzi4zb12's Homepage Send creyzi4zb12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Let's talk about some interesting characters in the Realms, not because of how powerful, or ultra-pownzorz they are...but because of the way their character tends to amuse readers by near-to-unique traits.

One of my votes would go to Tamlin Uskevren (SPOILER WARNING)
Definitely not your day to day heir of a huge and wealthy royalty. I've pictured him as somewhat similar to Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean, who is always ahead of his enemies not because of how powerful he is or how intelligent he is, but plainly because of unexpected faith or luck that always seems to be on his side.
One interesting aspect of Tamlin also the "FLEXIBLE" way his character is portrayed in different novels.
Sometimes he is portrayed as a spoiled brat, a buffoon, an idiot, but there are also times when he is pictured out as responsible and brave. But one very interesting trait about Tamlin is that the consequences of his actions are somewhat unpredictable (like the time he killed a troll, or made a negotiation with the Chaney lady.). There are also times in other novels that Tamlin is pictured out as a dark-brooding individual, a worshipper of Darkness and a killer of friends.
As of now Tamlin is a shade...which he regrets doing because he is DAMNED, but if you look at the bright side; it's not really that bad considering that he is now the 2nd most powerful man in Sembia.
Nevertheless, I hope we get to see more of him on Kemp's next novels (GodBorn)...weee..or am I just late with the news?

orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2010 :  17:58:11  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Danilo Thann for similar reasons. He plays the part of the spoiled noble dandy, but is really a very thoughtful and clever individual, with his heart in the right place, even if he tends to meddle a bit. (Sounds like his "Uncle" Khelben!!!) It's no wonder he makes such a good Harper. He's perfect for the job. A little snark, musical talent, fighting skill, and the right amount of sneakyness and innocent appeal. Gotta love him!

I also love Jarlaxle, for being SOOO not the typical drow. He's flashy, meddlesmoe, but not necessarily in a back-stabbing way, and has charm, wit, and a devil-may-care attitude. I also love how he always seems to have his pet projects in other people, like Artemis and Athrogate. He's such an enigma to those around him, because they can never figure out his motives or what he might do next.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  01:23:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I like Danilo Thann for similar reasons. He plays the part of the spoiled noble dandy, but is really a very thoughtful and clever individual, with his heart in the right place, even if he tends to meddle a bit. (Sounds like his "Uncle" Khelben!!!) It's no wonder he makes such a good Harper. He's perfect for the job. A little snark, musical talent, fighting skill, and the right amount of sneakyness and innocent appeal. Gotta love him!
Alystra has the right of it. This is why I love Danilo.

Plus, he reminds me so much of myself.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  06:04:18  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jan Jansen, the gnome illusionist/thief from Baldur's Gate II fame (or infamy). He's not uber-powerful, but he's got skills and stories to aid in every situation, no matter who he meets or what threat is encountered. This is all due to his family background, and his career as a wizard's lackey, adventurer, vegetable salesman, and purveyor of illegal adventuring equipment.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  20:22:44  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was always a fan of Jandar Sunstar, the sun elf vampire who started fighting for good once he killed his master. I dunno if its because he's not your typical vampire good guy or because he's always trying to find peace but always receiving the short end of the stick...er stake?
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  20:32:45  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good call! I'd almost forgotten about him. Another amazing (and underused) character!

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2010 :  02:02:27  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Araevin is an elf mage from Evereska from the Last Mythal series.

Pharaun Mizzrym wish he had stayed alive long enough to meet Jarlaxe
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2010 :  02:59:40  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Danilo is easily my favorite, but I would have loved to heard more of Tsigone and Matteo. I found her particularly fascinating!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2010 :  04:19:21  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jeriah Chronus

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

creyzi4zb12
Learned Scribe

Philippines
129 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2010 :  18:16:01  Show Profile  Visit creyzi4zb12's Homepage Send creyzi4zb12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...Jarlaxle has also very interesting traits as well, perhaps more interesting than any of RAS characters. He uses people, and always seems to be off the front-lines.
Haven't read about Danillo tho', maybe I'll read some of him.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2010 :  01:29:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try Elaine Cunningham's "Songs and Swords" books, Crey. They're a great read with full and interesting characters -- like Danilo.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 22 Aug 2010 01:30:49
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2010 :  04:15:23  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Try Elaine Cunningham's "Songs and Swords" books, Crey. They're a great read with full and interesting characters -- like Danilo.

It's hard to play favorites with authors, but I will say Elaine has in each and every story, remarkable characters throughout. She truly is the master when it comes to creating characters.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

creyzi4zb12
Learned Scribe

Philippines
129 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2010 :  12:06:20  Show Profile  Visit creyzi4zb12's Homepage Send creyzi4zb12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...I haven't read some of her books yet. But I think I have some of her works on the store. Maybe I'll buy them as soon as I finish with Sembia Series (THe ones I'm reading right now. I'm in book 5 as of now)

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2010 :  07:48:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by creyzi4zb12

One of my votes would go to Tamlin Uskevren (SPOILER WARNING)
Definitely not your day to day heir of a huge and wealthy royalty. I've pictured him as somewhat similar to Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean, who is always ahead of his enemies not because of how powerful he is or how intelligent he is, but plainly because of unexpected faith or luck that always seems to be on his side.

Hmm, while I find him a little bit interesting, I must disagree with that bit of perception you have which I highlighted. In The Twilight War series, he was easily manipulated by Rivalen, not even realizing it until Rivalen himself revealed it to him.

Anyway, the characters (it's difficult to just choose one) I find quite interesting are Pharaun Mizzrym, Lallara Mediocros, Elminster, The Simbul, Szass Tam, Telamont Tanthul, and Rivalen Tanthul. Pharaun is funny and vain; Lallara is ruthless yet occasionally shows a mote of kindness; Elminster is ---well, there's nothing about him you can't like; The Simbul is wild and unpredictable---you're in for a lot of surprises when she's around; Tam is so composed and plans his actions very well, perhaps as good as how Larloch himself plans his, and every once in a while he shows his “emotional vulnerability,” which is something so rare for archvillains; Telamont has always been mysterious and sometimes unpredictable that even his sons and his trusted adviser don't actually know what's in his shadow-shrouded mind; and Rivalen has grown far complex, thanks to Paul; I believe his so-called “internal conflict” had never been resolved yet...sooner or later he would have to choose between his role as a prince and that of a priest.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2010 :  15:15:38  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pikel Bouldershoulder. I read the books waiting to see if he actually says more than a few words, but am impressed how much he conveys with muttering and sounds!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2010 :  17:49:01  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yay, Pikel! I love those bros!! And even Athrogate, oddly enough. I'm not usually a big fan of dwarves, but he strikes me as- interesting.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2010 :  04:36:04  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Araevin is from Evermeet, but he's very intersting, and I'd like to hear more from him. RAS has several of them, including Jarlaxle, Entreri, Athrogate, and Valas Hune.

I'd also throw in Q'arlynd Melarn, Quinsareth(Bloodwalk), and Aoth Fezim.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2010 :  17:15:28  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, both the Melarn siblings were interesting. Halisstra was the first bard I've seen among drow. Made her a little bit more than the average priestess..

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

EltonJ
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2010 :  00:52:11  Show Profile  Visit EltonJ's Homepage Send EltonJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sememmon, actually, is very interesting. Evil, but he works for greater good now.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  13:30:03  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm having a feeling that once Godborn is released, Cale's son will be in my list of interesting characters.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000