Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Deserts

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
John Smith Posted - 29 Aug 2010 : 20:05:44
Which areas of the Forgotten Realms most resemble the Sahara Desert? Which resemble the Gobi Desert?

Thanks in advance....
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Markustay Posted - 07 Sep 2010 : 17:12:11
Only the northern portion of the Anauroch is cold - the southern portion gets blisteringly hot in the summer months (with temperatures plummeting at night, much like Death Valley). This is why I compared Anauroch to 2 deserts, but in truth it is like 3 - the final, most northern portion is like the Arctic Desert.

Think Greenland for that final 1/3 of Anauroch.

And yes, the Raurin is also like 3 deserts, with the Plains of Purple Dust most resembling a purplish version of the Arabian desert. The lower half is rocky desert, and the eastern 1/3 (Desert of Desolation) is similar to the Egyptian Theben desert (including the ruins).

Larger deserts like those two are hard to categorize because the are different in various places - I was just giving very broad, sweeping strokes. At the end of the day, all FR deserts are any way the DM wants them to be.
Galuf the Dwarf Posted - 07 Sep 2010 : 15:36:19
I don't know which desert the Plains of Purple Dust around Mulhorand are supposed to be like. Maybe partly like the Sahara, namely since it's part of the Raurin. Of course, the Plains of Purple Dust are infused with magic AND infested with purple worms, so that's rather unique in itself.
EltonJ Posted - 07 Sep 2010 : 05:35:45
quote:
Originally posted by John Smith

Thank you Markustay for the info. Very helpful.

I see Anuaroch to be more like the Great Basin Desert, since it's a cold desert (receives much of it's moisture as snow).

There are some books on deserts that you might want to check up on.
John Smith Posted - 04 Sep 2010 : 18:32:32
Thank you Markustay for the info. Very helpful.
Markustay Posted - 29 Aug 2010 : 20:40:20
I picture the Raurin being very much like the Sahara. The Quoya would probably be the best analog of the Gobi, and Anauroch is probably like both the Sonoran (southern portion) and the Mohavi deserts (northern part).

The Calim desert would probably be close to the Arabian desert (naturally).

The Stoney Wastes (in Ulgarth) would be similar to the Syrian Desert.
Hoondatha Posted - 29 Aug 2010 : 20:27:00
What part of the Sahara, or the Gobi? As Lawrence of Arabia proved decades ago, there's more to the desert than just drifting sand dunes.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000