Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 BattleTech goodness
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  05:17:11  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay, I know Sage & Wooly are both fans (although I find Wooly's lack of faith ... disturbing ), so I thought I'd share my two cents on the Jihad Hot Spots: Terra and Turning Points: Misery pdfs.

Jihad Hot Spots: Terra is all the goodiness you want to find out about Terra and the Sol galaxy, including stats on using Castles Brian and other BIG THINGS in your BattleTech Game. The book is written a lot like other Jihad books, meaning the first have is all fiction/story driven fluff written like News Articles and such to immerse you in the system. The second half is completely rules driven with all the hard crunch BattleTech fans crave.

*Best Part: The complete (18-page) history of Terra from the dawn of the twentieth century to 3077. I especially loved to see where BT history diverges from our world (which occurs right around the end of the millenium).

Turning Points: Misery is another PDF only mini-book ($4.95) that details scenarios of well-known battles in the BattleTech universe. They do not have much fluff (maybe a page detailing the history of the battle), but they are fun in that they set up how the significant portions of battles are fought. Misery deals with the personal war between Jaime Wolf and Takashi Kurita (fought by Minobu Tetsuhara, Jaime's friend). It uses the Chaos Campaign type rules, which allow you to track your War Chest across the different battles, signifying battle losses & gains in-between the fights. I haven't had a chance to run them yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  05:19:18  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I miss the days of being a Battletech Mercenary Lord...the Mercs book was all the love I needed from Battletech.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  05:48:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The history of Terra sounds good... But meh, the Jihad really killed it for me. I have this thing against blowing up a setting with an event that defies logic and prior lore...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  05:51:24  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is this Jihad you all speak of?

The last time I played Battletech there was the Clan Invasion! LOL

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  07:37:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still flicking through my copy of Jihad Hot Spots: Terra. Not much time for an in-depth read at the moment, but, snapshot observations follow:-

- Whoever was responsible for the RATTLER MK II ANTI -AEROSPACE MOBILE FORTRESS... they've my gratitude. There's a lot of fun to be had there.

- The artwork for each chapter was particularly evocative. Perhaps more-so than in previous JHS tomes.

- I loved the mention of "motivational packets" distributed among units in the CCAF. These will make great player aids.

- And I've already offered a big virtual hug over on the official BT boards, for writer of the "Touring Terra" section. I've never really been keen on playing a scenario on Terra. Until now.

I've not bothered with Turning Points: Misery yet, because I simply haven't had the time to read it.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 25 Jul 2010 07:38:37
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  07:44:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

What is this Jihad you all speak of?
The Word of Blake Jihad was a major interstellar war that involved all major factions. The opening salvo was launched in October 3067 against Wolf's Dragoons on their homeworld of Outreach. The war lasted until the Word of Blake's defeat in 3081, which was made possible through unifying efforts of Devlin Stone and David Lear, using their gathered coalition forces to crush the new Blakist Hegemony.

The Word's strategy mainly consisted of attacking capitals and other, important industrial worlds to hamper their enemies' capacity to wage war. They created a white-out of the HPG grid that forced regional leaders to take a more active role, then manipulated those leaders to create chaos and warfare that distracted their enemies from the Word's activities. During the early parts of the war, the Blakist "hidden" armies hit former Chaos March worlds in the vicinity of Terra. This led to the formation of the Word's new nation, the Word of Blake Protectorate.

The Jihad was not comprised only of the Word of Blake assaulting foreign powers, but also conflicts that erupted between neighboring states. Of note were the fights between the Free Worlds League and Lyran Alliance, Capellan Confederation and Federated Suns, Federated Suns and Draconis Combine, Clan Snow Raven and their allies in the Outworlds Alliance fighting both the Federated Suns and Draconis Combine, and the ongoing conflict between the Marian Hegemony and Circinus Federation.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  18:04:19  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
- Whoever was responsible for the RATTLER MK II ANTI -AEROSPACE MOBILE FORTRESS... they've my gratitude. There's a lot of fun to be had there.

The picture of it with the Awesome looking tiny next to it makes me want to use it in a game soooooo much.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  19:07:07  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember a buddy of mine when I was a kid teaching me Battletech. Something about the Wolverine just caught my eye and I always wanted to run at least one in any scenario. Damn, that was like 20-22 years ago!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  19:29:20  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a fun Solaris VII session a few weeks ago where I brought in an old school Griffin. Right after I moved, another player with a clan Shadowcat moved into the hex right behind me and alpha-striked.

And missed EVERY shot. At that moment, I knew the pilot was a swashbuckler that turned around, smiled and quipped at the other pilot, riling him with witty barbs and stinging lasers.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  20:48:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

I had a fun Solaris VII session a few weeks ago where I brought in an old school Griffin. Right after I moved, another player with a clan Shadowcat moved into the hex right behind me and alpha-striked.

And missed EVERY shot. At that moment, I knew the pilot was a swashbuckler that turned around, smiled and quipped at the other pilot, riling him with witty barbs and stinging lasers.

That's part of the reason I lost interest in the game... I did that too many times, myself. I'd consistently miss, only needing an 8 or better -- often, only needing a 7 or better.

Or I'd get in position for an alpha strike to the rear, and only hit arms and legs.

Of course, one of my favorite BattleTech moments came when one of my Minotaurs (love Protos!) took a Gauss rifle slug to the chest -- and was still standing. My friend was utterly shocked at that! I think that moment is a lot of the reason he later developed an intense hatred for Protos and would concentrate on them, even when more threatening targets presented themselves.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Jul 2010 20:53:04
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  00:51:37  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, Solaris VII! Some of my most intense Mechwarrior memories were from playing on that world.

I remember one battle where a hated NPC managed to head-shot and kill mine and another friend's character in the same round after we had him cornered.

There were only three of us players (the #3 player was not part of that 2 on 1 match) and the GM was kind of shocked at what happened, but he kept play going. Later during the post-match interview as the hated NPC and player #3 were being interviewed by an NPC commentator, player #3 pulled out his pistol and shot the hated NPC in the head after he started bragging (in character, admittedly) of his prowess in a mech.

Justice! ;)

Solaris VII was a ton of fun to play in. The way the rules zoomed in (so to speak) on the hex maps and gave more options for movement and weapons fire was awesome.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  01:05:41  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Miscellany

Ah, Solaris VII! Some of my most intense Mechwarrior memories were from playing on that world.

I remember one battle where a hated NPC managed to head-shot and kill mine and another friend's character in the same round after we had him cornered.

There were only three of us players (the #3 player was not part of that 2 on 1 match) and the GM was kind of shocked at what happened, but he kept play going. Later during the post-match interview as the hated NPC and player #3 were being interviewed by an NPC commentator, player #3 pulled out his pistol and shot the hated NPC in the head after he started bragging (in character, admittedly) of his prowess in a mech.

Justice! ;)

Solaris VII was a ton of fun to play in. The way the rules zoomed in (so to speak) on the hex maps and gave more options for movement and weapons fire was awesome.

The Solaris game I was in used 2-inch hex maps and the oversized Clicky-tech minis. Which, by the way, are absolutely perfect for Solaris combat. It gives you the feel of ultra-detail and customization.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  04:02:40  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has Battletech ever introduced an Alien Race as of yet?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  04:17:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The subject of BATTLETECH and aliens has a long and troubled history. In fact, there's a lengthy discussion about this exact topic over on the official BT boards at the moment.

Basically, it boils down to the fact that there haven't been any sentient STAR TREK or STAR WARS-like aliens fully introduced into the BATTLETECH universe. That is, aside from the "strange" occurrence of so-called extra-terrestrials [as some have labelled them] in the novels The Sword and the Dagger and Far Country.

The former introduces a primitive humanoid tribe, usually referred to as "Swamp people," and the latter features a species called the Tetatae, who are intelligent bird-like critters. Far Country is often said to occupy a kind of "grey" area when it comes to deciding how it relates to the rest of established BT canon. And the instance of the primitive humanoid tribe in The Sword and the Dagger, I believe, can be explained, somewhat simply, as an example of an undocumented or lost post-Exodus tribe of humans who devolved after their original colony collapsed.

Of course, there are also "alien" species, such as the otherworldly creatures and animals discovered on worlds beyond Terra. But that's largely an element included in most sci-fi settings, so...

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Jul 2010 04:24:52
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  05:21:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sword and the Dagger is also not a novel that gets much airtime. When I first got into BattleTech (with the publication of the novel Way of the Clans), the novel wasn't mentioned anywhere -- it was OOP, and simply left off of lists of BTech novels. I later read the reprints of the Warrior Trilogy, and there are references to it in there -- which made me wonder about this apparently untold story. It was only after I'd been into BattleTech for several years, and intro'ed a friend to it, when I found out about the existence of The Sword and the Dagger. Even once I found out about it, it still took me a couple years to find it -- I found out about the novel before I'd discovered eBay (or much of anything else, on the internet). Once I thought to check eBay, the next hurdle was getting it for a reasonable price -- I think I had to pay $25 for my first copy of the novel. This copy was of course lost in the fire, but replacing it was easier -- that time, finding it on eBay for a reasonable price only took a few months.

Far Country also occupies an odd spot in the BTech line, in that it's the only BTech novel that really doesn't have anything to do with any other novel. All of the other BTech novels had a definite place in the chain of events in the universe -- but Far Country goes off in a different direction, and is set someplace that's literally isolated from the rest of the setting.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 26 Jul 2010 05:24:53
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  05:52:45  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The Sword and the Dagger is also not a novel that gets much airtime. When I first got into BattleTech (with the publication of the novel Way of the Clans), the novel wasn't mentioned anywhere -- it was OOP, and simply left off of lists of BTech novels. I later read the reprints of the Warrior Trilogy, and there are references to it in there -- which made me wonder about this apparently untold story. It was only after I'd been into BattleTech for several years, and intro'ed a friend to it, when I found out about the existence of The Sword and the Dagger. Even once I found out about it, it still took me a couple years to find it -- I found out about the novel before I'd discovered eBay (or much of anything else, on the internet). Once I thought to check eBay, the next hurdle was getting it for a reasonable price -- I think I had to pay $25 for my first copy of the novel. This copy was of course lost in the fire, but replacing it was easier -- that time, finding it on eBay for a reasonable price only took a few months.

Far Country also occupies an odd spot in the BTech line, in that it's the only BTech novel that really doesn't have anything to do with any other novel. All of the other BTech novels had a definite place in the chain of events in the universe -- but Far Country goes off in a different direction, and is set someplace that's literally isolated from the rest of the setting.

Also, since Far Country is based on a JumpShip's mis-jump, it also is hazy on the when of the novel as well as the where.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  06:32:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Also, since Far Country is based on a JumpShip's mis-jump, it also is hazy on the when of the novel as well as the where.

And, as I recall, the human characters in the novel remain stranded, without any hope or method of ever returning to the Inner Sphere. So it's not like the rest of humanity would've heard of these events anyway...

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  07:00:41  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I considered once upon a time introducing an entirely robotic enemy that would invade...but gave up on the idea.

Essentially, big ol' robots invading to fight the mechs.

I thought it would be cool too to introduce a non-humanoid alien; but all of this was more role-playing from Mechwarrior than strictly for fighting with mechs.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  07:09:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I considered once upon a time introducing an entirely robotic enemy that would invade...but gave up on the idea.

Essentially, big ol' robots invading to fight the mechs.

I thought it would be cool too to introduce a non-humanoid alien; but all of this was more role-playing from Mechwarrior than strictly for fighting with mechs.

Actually, that's somewhat similar to something that's happened in the BT universe now, during the Jihad. You see, the Blakists [members of the Word of Blake] have a special branch of their faction called the Manei Domini. They're, essentially, fanatical Blakists who have undergone intensive and invasive medical/cybernetic procedures that effectively render them as cyborgs -- powerful man/machine hybrids that carry out the perverse will of the secretive Master of the Word of Blake. They're not "big ol' robots," but there have been noted instances in the published material of these Manei Domini cyborgs taking on both 'Mechs and Battle Armour infantry units.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  11:10:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Before the Jihad, I was thinking it'd be nifty to have Clan Wolverine/the Minnesota Tribe return and attack both the Inner Sphere and Clan space. My thinking was that they could have had people posing as bandits, and thus would have some (not all) of the newest tech, plus their own development of superheavy mechs, which would weigh up to 125 tons.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 26 Jul 2010 11:11:29
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  11:44:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*The Sage smirks at the notion of the Wolverines returning*

*I then glanced, briefly, at my copy of The Blake Documents. *

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Jul 2010 11:46:03
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2010 :  07:42:11  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It gets better!

TRO 3085 is now available in PDF forms. One sentence describes why this book is important:

The return of the LAMs.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2010 :  08:28:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Confound it! I was just purchasing some stuff at drivethrurpg.com [CthulhuTech's 'Ancient Enemies' and a few other books], but I must've completely missed the new TRO.

Edited by - The Sage on 31 Jul 2010 08:28:42
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2010 :  15:50:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It gets better!

TRO 3085 is now available in PDF forms. One sentence describes why this book is important:

The return of the LAMs.

Is there going to be a corresponding printed TRO? I've got every single one of the printed ones -- including originals with the Unseen and the later Revised versions of the same.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2010 :  16:24:59  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It gets better!

The return of the LAMs.

Is there going to be a corresponding printed TRO? I've got every single one of the printed ones -- including originals with the Unseen and the later Revised versions of the same.

Yes, there will be a printed one (you can preorder it with the PDF at BattleCorps) and it's a wonderful 300+ pages of goodness (including details on infantry, for the first time ever).

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2010 :  17:10:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apparently, there's to be a Supplemental TRO for this new book as well... containing stuff that didn't fit in TRO: 3085.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  08:26:55  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So what's the story with TRO: 3085? Sage and I are on kind of a tight budget this month, so we haven't been able to make the PDF purchase.

Why is it dated at 3085 anyhow? Hasn't the BT timeline only just hit 3080?

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Lady Kazandra on 14 Aug 2010 08:27:52
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  15:40:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

So what's the story with TRO: 3085? Sage and I are on kind of a tight budget this month, so we haven't been able to make the PDF purchase.

I gave up trying to understand anything BT-related, when they started releasing details about the Jihad and it began making even less sense to me.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  16:42:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

Based on discussions from the official BT boards, I'm thinking TRO: 3085 is a kind of "bridging-source" -- between the content of the Jihad timeline, and the content "that is to come" with the DARK AGE material.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  16:55:33  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is a bridging project, detailing the technology that exists at the end of the Jihad right when the Republic of the Sphere is being created.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000