Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 2010 Ennie Awards!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2010 :  16:13:01  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The nominations have been announced!

Congratulations to all the nominees, especially to Paizo (14 nominees, Product of the Year/Best Game for Pathfinder), Catalyst Game Labs (9 Nominees, including 2 Product of the Year nominations for Eclipse Phase and Shadowrun-20th Anniversary edition-also a Game of the Year nominee) and Wizards of the Coast (5 nominees, including Best Supplement - PHB3 & Rebellion Era Campaign).

Voting begins next Friday!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2010 :  16:24:04  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Complete list of nominations:

Best Cover Art
* Eclipse Phase (Catalyst Game Labs  Posthuman Studios)
* Pathfinder Bestiary (Paizo Publishing)
* Rogue Trader Core Rulebook (Fantasy Flight Games)
* Trail of Cthulhu: Rough Magicks (Pelgrane Press)
* WFRP: The Gathering Storm (Fantasy Flight Games)
* HM: Star Wars: The Unknown Regions (Wizards of the Coast)

Best Interior Art
* Escape from Tentacle City (Willow Palecek)
* Pathfinder Core Rulebook (Paizo Publishing)
* Shadowrun - 20th Anniversary Ed. (Catalyst Game Labs)
* Warhammer Fantasy RPG (Fantasy Flight Games)
* HM: Hero 6th Edition (Hero Games)

Best Cartography
* Aces and Eights: Judas Crossing (Kenzer & Company)
* Dungeon of Terror Virtual Box Set (0one Games)
* Maps of Mastery: Swamp Caves (Maps of Mastery)
* Pathfinder City Map Folio (Paizo Publishing)
* Revenge of the Giants (Wizards of the Coast)
* HM: Death Frost Doom (Lamentation of the Flame Princess)

Best Writing
* Eclipse Phase (Catalyst Game Labs & Posthuman Studios)
* FantasyCraft (Crafty Games)
* How We Came to Live Here (Galileo Games)
* Kerberos Club (Cubicle 7)
* Victoriana 2nd Edtion (Cubicle 7)
* HM: Colonial Gothic (Rogue Games)

Best Production Values
* Pathfinder Core Rulebook (Paizo Publishing)
* HM: Mysteries of the Hollow Earth (Exile Game Studio)

Best Rules
* Atomic Highway (Radioactive Ape Designs)
* BASH Ultimate Edition (Basic Action Games)
* Diaspora (VSCA)
* Hero 6th Edition (Hero Games)
* Wild Talents 2nd Edition (Cubicle 7)
* HM: Earthdawn 3rd Edition, Player's Guide (RedBrick LLC)

Best Adventure
* The Grinding Gear (Lamentations of the Flame Princess)
* Pathfinder AP#31: Stolen Land (Paizo Publishing)
* A Song of Ice and Fire: Peril at King’s Landing (Green Ronin)
* Trail of Cthulhu: The Armitage Files (Pelgrane Press)
* WFRP: The Gathering Storm (Fantasy Flight Games)
* HM:Trail of Cthulhu: Shadows over Filmland (Pelgrane Press)

Best Monster or Adversary
* Aces and Eights: Rustlers & Townsfolk (Kenzer and Company)
* Hellfrost Bestiary (Cubicle 7)
* Pathfinder Bestiary (Paizo Publishing)
* Pathfinder: Classic Horrors Revisited (Paizo Publishing)
* Supernatural: Guide to the Hunted (Margaret Weis Productions)
* HM: Fey Folio: The Unseelie Court (Alluria Publishing)

Best Setting
* Day After Ragnarok (Atomic Overmind Press)
* Goblin Markets (White Wolf Publishing)
* Judge Dredd (Mongoose Publishing)
* Rome: Life and Death of the Republic (Cubicle 7)
* HM: Shadowrun: Seattle 2072 (Catylst Game Labs)

Best Supplement
* Lucha Libre Hero (Hero Games)
* Mysteries of the Hollow Earth (Exile Game Studio)
* Nobis: The City-States (Pantheon Press)
* Player’s Handbook 3 (Wizards of the Coast)
* Rebellion Era Campaign Guide (Wizards of the Coast)
* HM: Cthulhutech: Damnation View (WildFire)

Best Aid or Accessory
* Battlegraph Dry Erase Boards (Longtooth Studios)
* Campaign Coins (King of the Castle Games  Paizo Publishing)
* Gaming Paper (Gaming Paper)
* Hero Lab v3.6 (Lone Wolf Development)
* Pathfinder GM#8200;Screen (Paizo Publishing)
* HM: A Song of Ice and Fire Narrator's Kit (Green Ronin)

Best Miniatures Product
* Alkemy Minis (Kraken Editions)
* D&D Minis (Wizards of the Coast)
* Fortress of Redemption (Games Workshop)
* Gaming Paper (Gaming Paper)
* Maps of Mastery: Swamp Caves (Maps of Mastery)
* HM: Battlegraph Dry Erase Boards (Longtooth Studios)

Best Regalia
* Battletech: 25 Years of Art and Fiction (Catalyst Game Labs)
* Buried Tales of Pine Box, Texas (12 to Midnight)
* Cthulhu 101 (Atomic Overmind Press)
* Grind (Privateer Press)
* Three Dragon Ante: Emperor's Gambit (Wizards of the Coast)
* HM: Best of All Flesh (Elder Signs Press)

Best Electronic Book
* The Great City Player’s Guide (0one Games)
* Heroes of the Jade Oath BETA (Rite Publishing)
* To Kill Or Not To Kill (Rite Publishing)
* Pathfinder Society Scenario #29: The Devil We Know Part 1: Shipyard Rats (Paizo Publishing)
* Shambles (A Terrible Idea)
* HM: Fey Folio: The Unseelie Court (Alluria Publishing)

Best Free Product
* Advanced Players Guide Playtest (Paizo Publishing)
* Combat Advantage #15 (Emerald Press)
* Lady Blackbird (one.seven Design)
* Warriors Adventure Game (HarperCollins Children's Books)
* Wayfinder #1 (Paizo Fans United)
* HM: Hexographer (Inkwell Ideas)

Best Website
* d20PFSRD.com
* Epic Words
* Obsidian Portal
* Pathfinder Wiki
* Pen & Paper Games
* HM: Hexographer

Best Podcast
* All Games Considered
* Atomic Array
* NewbieDM.com Minicast
* Open Design
* Power Source
* HM: The Gamer’s Haven Podcast

Best Blog
* Critical Hits
* Gnome Stew
* Kobold Quarterly
* NewbieDM.com
* One Geek to Another
* HM: Sarah Darkmagic

Best Game
* Dragon Age: Set 1 (Green Ronin)
* Hero 6th Edition (Hero Games)
* Pathfinder (Paizo Publishing)
* HM: Labyrinth Lord (Goblinoid Games)

Product of the Year
* Doctor Who (Cubicle 7)
* Dragon Age: Set 1 (Green Ronin)
* Geist the Sin-Eaters (White Wolf Publishing)
* Pathfinder (Paizo Publishing)
* Rome: Life and Death of the Republic (Cubicle 7)
* HM: FantasyCraft (Crafty Games)
* HM: Savage Suzerain (Cubicle 7)

Editorial Opinion I find it interesting that WotC did not make the list for Product of the Year, Eberron was not mentioned in Best Setting and the only 4th Edition books that made it were the PHB3 and the Return of the Giants adventure. No one doubts that they are outselling their competition, but remember this: James Cameron may have made more money, but his ex-wife got the Oscar...

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2010 :  21:21:05  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it just me, or is it mildly amusing that Paizo Fans United and Paizo are competing with each other in the free category?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2010 :  21:37:17  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Is it just me, or is it mildly amusing that Paizo Fans United and Paizo are competing with each other in the free category?

Even more so compared to who's not there with them

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2010 :  21:43:03  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Or that d20PFSRD.com and the Pathfinder Wiki are in the same competition?

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
746 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2010 :  12:12:39  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

No one doubts that they are outselling their competition,
We don't have any concrete figures either way, so are they really? Has Paizo been laying people off in the last year?

What I found interesting is the mention of Dragon Age by Green Ronin. Has that got anything to do with the VG, or vice versa?

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

Edited by - Kyrene on 10 Jul 2010 12:13:38
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2010 :  15:20:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WotC, by simple virtue of name and owning D&D, is still the biggest kid on the block. Which makes it surprising that they are so under-represented on this list... One could easily couple that with the continuing layoffs at WotC and paint a not-so-rosy picture of their current situation.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2010 :  20:21:22  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

No one doubts that they are outselling their competition,
We don't have any concrete figures either way, so are they really? Has Paizo been laying people off in the last year?

What I found interesting is the mention of Dragon Age by Green Ronin. Has that got anything to do with the VG, or vice versa?

The vast majority of the contributors to Paizo and Pathfinder are freelancers, that includes most of the rules set. I haven't kept track of employee numbers, but my impression is that WotC relied more on in-house staff for the development and first years of 4E. The people they let go recently seemed mostly involved with that development. Now that 4E is established, WotC may be switching to a more freelance-based, commission-as-needed approach to keep their payroll reasonable (corporate-friendly).

The Dragon Age RPG is based on the VG/CRPG by Bioware.

I think this highlights the crowded field pen and paper RPGs are competing in nowadays. While video games are the primary product of their respective franchises, looking at this from a pen & paper perspective, the video games are multimillion dollar ad campaigns as well as massive art/media/lore wellspring for the pen & paper version of the game. It is more difficult for a pen & paper company to provide the same quantity and prevalence of art and media promotion for a product with a slimmer margin.

That is unless they utilize a more "indie" approach with lower overhead and their fan community take on some of the promoting for them. Or the company "sells out" to make the video game (it has to be a good video game) the primary franchise product with the pen & paper game as a secondary.
Go to Top of Page

Qwilion
Acolyte

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2010 :  09:18:23  Show Profile  Visit Qwilion's Homepage Send Qwilion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
paizo fans vs. paizo
d20PFSRD.com vs. Pathfinder Wiki
WotC

Don't be too amused. My company is competing against itself in Best Electronic Book. (Rite Publishing) for Heroes of the Jade Oath and To Kill or Not to Kill. Nominations are about what companies submit, and what products they submit. The Fans submit, Paizo Submits, the guy who runs d20PfSRD.com submits, and the guy who runs Pathfinder Wiki submits and then the Judges select the nominations.

It should be no surprise that Paizo puts out a quality product, and the folks who are fans of Paizo (who in reality are a lot of their freelancers) who emulate that same quality get selected.

What makes me crazy is the company crap, why is it the name of the product and the company name

Why is it not the name of the author, designer, artist, developer, Cartographer, Wizards of the Coast did not create a great map or write and awesome supplement.

It just bugs the hell out of me

Frank Carr wrote Heroes of the Jade Oath
I wrote to Kill or Not to Kill

Steve "Qwilion" Russell
www.Ritepublishing.com

"A hundered thousand lemming's cannot be wrong."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2010 :  11:19:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Qwilion

paizo fans vs. paizo
d20PFSRD.com vs. Pathfinder Wiki
WotC

Don't be too amused. My company is competing against itself in Best Electronic Book. (Rite Publishing) for Heroes of the Jade Oath and To Kill or Not to Kill. Nominations are about what companies submit, and what products they submit. The Fans submit, Paizo Submits, the guy who runs d20PfSRD.com submits, and the guy who runs Pathfinder Wiki submits and then the Judges select the nominations.

It should be no surprise that Paizo puts out a quality product, and the folks who are fans of Paizo (who in reality are a lot of their freelancers) who emulate that same quality get selected.

What makes me crazy is the company crap, why is it the name of the product and the company name

Why is it not the name of the author, designer, artist, developer, Cartographer, Wizards of the Coast did not create a great map or write and awesome supplement.

It just bugs the hell out of me

Frank Carr wrote Heroes of the Jade Oath
I wrote to Kill or Not to Kill

Because most people don't look at who wrote something. Gaming products are put out by gaming companies, not by individuals. There are not a lot of people in the gaming industry that can sell something on the strength of their name alone.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2010 :  13:21:57  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Voting polls are open!

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Qwilion
Acolyte

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2010 :  12:49:25  Show Profile  Visit Qwilion's Homepage Send Qwilion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Because most people don't look at who wrote something. Gaming products are put out by gaming companies, not by individuals. There are not a lot of people in the gaming industry that can sell something on the strength of their name alone."

This is an awards ceremony and has nothing to do with selling the most copies, To Kill or Not to Kill would never qualify in that category its the second part of an adventure path for an out of print system.

And when you nominating something for best cartography, you talking about the cartographer.

My point being people might start looking at who did what if people started pointing it out.

Steve "Qwilion" Russell
www.Ritepublishing.com

"A hundered thousand lemming's cannot be wrong."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2010 :  14:20:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Qwilion

"Because most people don't look at who wrote something. Gaming products are put out by gaming companies, not by individuals. There are not a lot of people in the gaming industry that can sell something on the strength of their name alone."

This is an awards ceremony and has nothing to do with selling the most copies, To Kill or Not to Kill would never qualify in that category its the second part of an adventure path for an out of print system.

And when you nominating something for best cartography, you talking about the cartographer.

My point being people might start looking at who did what if people started pointing it out.

Yeah, but you're still missing my point. I never mentioned number of copies sold. I'm talking about the fact that Gaming Product X isn't being sold by Designer Y, it's sold by Company Z.

Something nominated for best cartography might have had more than one cartographer working on it. Ditto for any written material. Unless one individual did all the writing, editing, cartography, design, layout, printing, and shipping, then the product is something that was done by a company -- therefore, the company gets the credit. There are very few products that are solely the result of one person's work -- most everything is done by a team. In most cases, you can't single out the work of any one individual.

So again, gaming products are put out by gaming companies, not by individuals.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2010 :  15:38:27  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What Wooly says about multiple writers is especially true about Paizo Fans United, I think there must be at least 30 names there (and, incidentally, not all of us are Paizo's freelancers, however much we'd like to be).

And what I found amusing about Paizo competing against PFU is the idea of the fans potentially beating the object of their fandom.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2010 :  17:07:58  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What Wooly says about multiple writers is especially true about Paizo Fans United, I think there must be at least 30 names there (and, incidentally, not all of us are Paizo's freelancers, however much we'd like to be).

And what I found amusing about Paizo competing against PFU is the idea of the fans potentially beating the object of their fandom.

Which is very possible since most of the people working at Paizo will vote for PFU.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 17 Jul 2010 17:08:28
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  02:32:52  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Watching the Ennies over at NeonCon.com

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  02:38:51  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, following them on Twitter.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  03:41:24  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the winners:

Gold Best Website - Obsidian Portal
Silver Best Website - D20PFSrs

Gold Best Podcast - Atomic Array
Silver Best Podcast - All Games Considered

Gold Best Blog - Kobold Quarterly
Silver Best Blog - Gnome Stew

Gold Best Art, Cover - Pathfinder Bestiary
Silver Best Art, Cover - Eclipse Phase

Gold Best Art, Interior - Pathfinder Core Rulebook
Silver Best Art, Interior - Shadowrun 20Th Anniversary Ed

Gold Best Cartography - Pathfinder City Map Folio
Silver Best Cartography - Aces And Eights: Judas Crossing

Gold Best Production Values - Pathfinder Core Rulebook
Silver Best Production Values - Shadowrun 20Th Anniversary Ed

Gold Best Writing - Eclipse Phase
Silver Best Writing - Victoriana 2nd Ed

Gold Best Rules - Diaspora
Silver Best Rules - Hero 6th Edition

Gold Best Free Product - Advanced Players Guide Playtest
Silver Best Free Product - Lady Blackbird

Gold Best Electronic Book - The Great City Players Guide
Silver Best Electronic Book - The Devil We Know Part One: Shipyard Rats

Gold Best Aid Or Accessory - Pathfinder GM Screen
Silver Best Aid Or Accessory - Gaming Paper

Gold Best Miniatures Product - D&D Minis
Silver Best Miniature Product - Gaming Paper

Gold Best Rpg Related Product - Cthulhu 101
Silver Best Rpg Related Product - Battletech: 25 Years Of Art And Fiction

Gold Best Adventure - Pathfinder #31
Silver Best Adventure - Trail Of Cthlhu: The Armitage Files

Gold Best Monster/Adversary - Pathfinder Bestiary
Silver Best Monster/Adversary - Pathfinder Classic Heroes Revisited

Gold Best Setting - Day After Ragnarok
Silver Best Setting - Rome: Life And Death In The Republic

Gold Best Supplement - Mysteries Of The Hollow Earth
Silver Best Supplement - Player'S Handbook 3

Gold Best Game - Pathfinder
Silver Best Game - Shadowrun 20th Anniversary Ed

Gold Product Of The Year - Pathfinder
Silver Product Of The Year - Eclipse Phase

Gold Fans Choice Best Publisher - Paizo Publishing
Silver Fans Choice Best Publisher - Fantasy Flight Games

Congrats to Paizo and Catalyst on their terrific number of wins!

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  04:04:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thoroughly agree with the "Best Writing" vote. Eclipse Phase is an phenomenal book.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  04:41:09  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eclipse Phase is awesome, so I'm glad to see it win something, given the absolute domination inflicted by Paizo on the awards this year.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  04:59:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see much from WotC on there... But wow, Paizo sure cleaned up!

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  14:13:16  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
There are not a lot of people in the gaming industry that can sell something on the strength of their name alone.

This is a bad state of affairs, and it's the direct result of the industry culture of marginalizing authors which the ENnies are complicit in.

Yes, RPG books tend to have multiple designers, developers, cartographers etc. more than most other kinds, but they still usually have one or a few primary authors -- films are far more collaborative, yet are rightly credited to their directors. RPG publishers have downplayed authors consistently for decades -- sometimes to the extent of leaving their names off the cover -- in favour of brands, logos and trademarks they control. (With direct effect in the publication history of the Realms! Consider how much writing, consulting and library work Ed Greenwood, one of the top names in the field, has to do to earn a living, while Wizards uses his name as a brand.) I feel strongly that this inversion denies RPG authors the recognition and income they deserve, and to misframe primary creators as publisher functionaries artistically diminishes and holds back the whole field.

Unlike the ENnies, other RPG awards, such as the Diana Jones Award, give creators the rightful prominence they'd have in any respected medium.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  14:51:46  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Streaming video of the ENnie awards

Thanks NeonCon!

Edit: It is uncut, so the awards don't really start in the video until minute 25.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 09 Aug 2010 14:57:19
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000