Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 38

BlackAce
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
337 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  03:13:56  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Opinions should be left to fans and jerks (the latter of which are professionally referred to as 'critics'), and not freelance authors who have to juggle so many other's feelings in a shared setting.

Hey! I'm a jerk and I'm insulted you've just equated me with a critic.

The best backstories are longer than a sentence and shorter than a page.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13810 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  04:20:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LMAO.

Okay... as one fellow jerk to another - critics are epic-level jerks. 'Critic' is actually a choice on the jerk Class epic tier in 4e (along with 'politician' and 'paparazzi').

Hows that?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  04:59:14  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

LMAO.

Okay... as one fellow jerk to another - critics are epic-level jerks. 'Critic' is actually a choice on the jerk Class epic tier in 4e (along with 'politician' and 'paparazzi').

Hows that?

Given the thread, shouldn't we ask Elaine that question?

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1986 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  05:08:44  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

LMAO.

Hows that?

+ 9000

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1986 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  05:09:33  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

quote:

LMAO.

Hows that?

+ 9000

did you have anr recen lireal beanre novel plams for 4e elaine?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2269 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  06:13:53  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
did you have anr recen lireal beanre novel plams for 4e elaine?

No plans for a Liriel novel at this time. The only FR project is THE SERPENT'S DAUGHTER.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1986 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  06:27:47  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
will it partake in the knowledge of what happened to the Serpent's drinking establishment and will any drinking take place there if its still around....

( was going to ask if his fate was going to be told on how he moved on to arvandor.... but..... I dont wannt to, even if he would still likely be alive for being eladrin/moon elf)

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2269 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  10:59:04  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

will it partake in the knowledge of what happened to the Serpent's drinking establishment and will any drinking take place there if its still around....

( was going to ask if his fate was going to be told on how he moved on to arvandor.... but..... I dont wannt to, even if he would still likely be alive for being eladrin/moon elf)

Can't discuss Elaith's fate, sorry. I'm not really sure what you're asking in the first paragraph. Elaith had several "drinking establishments" in Waterdeep. I would assume some still do business in current Realms time.
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
337 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  18:00:23  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

LMAO.

Hows that?

It'll do.

While I'm here, Elaine, didn't you mention plans for a historical novel centered around the Stewarts?

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2269 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  18:17:07  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAce
While I'm here, Elaine, didn't you mention plans for a historical novel centered around the Stewarts?

I did, yes. That's currently on hold.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2130 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  18:34:46  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
I did, yes. That's currently on hold.
That sounds tantalising. I hope it does not get stuck in the "on hold" position.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
337 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  18:38:36  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh that's a shame. I must admit, I've been half looking forward to it. Please let us know it if ever gets moving again.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2269 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2011 :  13:25:26  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh that's a shame. I must admit, I've been half looking forward to it. Please let us know it if ever gets moving again.

I will, and thanks for asking.

The historical mystery project made sense for a lot of reasons, but since my audience (all 17 of you....) are fantasy readers, it made more sense to concentrate on creating a fantasy setting of my own. That's the next project. More info coming soon.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2130 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2011 :  15:25:59  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm of Scottish descent (Wallace for those who wish to know) as well as a fan of yours, so all you had to say was "Stewart" and "historical fiction" and I was interested. Though, I must say that I am immensely interested in the fantasy setting you are developing as well.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2011 :  18:31:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The historical mystery project made sense for a lot of reasons, but since my audience (all 17 of you....) are fantasy readers, it made more sense to concentrate on creating a fantasy setting of my own. That's the next project. More info coming soon.

Oooh, my interest is officially piqued!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1397 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2011 :  18:42:12  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Third in the line of 17!!!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13810 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2011 :  20:41:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because you un-subscribed from the other thread, I am going to quote myself from there, in regards to the novella you mentioned concerning NOT planting the Tree of Souls.
quote:

I think Elaine should still write that story, albeit an abbreviated version of it, and have it a Dragon article. That's the kinds of things I want to see - I want explanations when things 'get weird'. On the other hand, a full book about what happened (the events in GHotR are tantalizing) would be very cool, and still VERY do-able. If a novel were written about Lamruil, he could have 'flash-backs' (the way Ed does with Elminster, or Steven did with the Khelben novels) of those times a century ago - it could easily tie into a current (post-plague) story wherein Lamruil is still searching for his 'lost love'.

Just give him Danillo as part of his 'epic party' (a'la Jason and the Argonaughts), and maybe a couple of other 'big names' from the past, and it would be pure win.
What about it?

Doesn't that sound 'uber'? There are a huge number of secondary characters in The Realms you could use for such an 'epic quest'. In fact, I'm thinking 5-part series with different authors, all of whom feature one of their 'pet' characters (I would love for RAS to include Kane, or maybe Artemis). Think about it - they could travel all over the Realms, looking for clues, and old and new fans alike would get to see parts of the new world detailed - its really win-win, IMHO. A real classic 'last hurrah' for some old characters, in the true tradition of D&D adventuring.
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Oooh, my interest is officially piqued!

Ditto.

Although I would love to see a world that you and Ed share-in-the-making, I also know what it means to an author to create a successful IP of their own (something I am currently struggling to do myself).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Apr 2011 20:46:38
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2269 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2011 :  20:53:23  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Although I would love to see a world that you and Ed share-in-the-making, I also know what it means to an author to create a successful IP of their own (something I am currently struggling to do myself).

As much as I love Ed and respect his work, it is long, long past time for me to create something of my own.

The desire for control has become very important to me. I've watched with interest the developments in e-books, and after a great deal of consideration decided to publish this story as an "e-riginal" fantasy series.

I'm determined that Honor Among Thieves, the first book, will be as polished as anything I've published with a traditional publisher. I have terrific first readers, and I've hired an editor to do the final pass and proof. The art should be finished this weeks. Early drafts are wonderful.

At this point, I don't have a lot more news and would prefer not to spend much time at Candlekeep discussing it. As soon as the new website is up, I'll post a link. Any questions and comments about the Starsinger Tales can be directed there.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3524 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  16:15:55  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

As much as I love Ed and respect his work, it is long, long past time for me to create something of my own.

The desire for control has become very important to me. I've watched with interest the developments in e-books, and after a great deal of consideration decided to publish this story as an "e-riginal" fantasy series.

I'm determined that Honor Among Thieves, the first book, will be as polished as anything I've published with a traditional publisher. I have terrific first readers, and I've hired an editor to do the final pass and proof. The art should be finished this weeks. Early drafts are wonderful.

At this point, I don't have a lot more news and would prefer not to spend much time at Candlekeep discussing it. As soon as the new website is up, I'll post a link. Any questions and comments about the Starsinger Tales can be directed there.

I'm very excited by this news. It's great to see one of my very favorite fantasy(or any genre) authors on the cutting edge with
e-riginal works!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3524 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  16:18:32  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

quote:

I'm very excited by this news. It's great to see one of my very favorite fantasy(or any genre) authors on the cutting edge with
e-riginal works!

P.S. Especially with a few publishers now charging a bit more for an e-book verision of new releases that Hardcover versions. I'm quite curious too see what your pricing stratgey/price point will be.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2269 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  18:58:32  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
P.S. Especially with a few publishers now charging a bit more for an e-book verision of new releases that Hardcover versions. I'm quite curious too see what your pricing stratgey/price point will be.

It's a short novel--about 50,000 words, a length that traditional publishing usually doesn't deal with.

For a number of reasons, $2.99 seems to be the ideal price point. Less-than-a-latte pricing will, I hope, prompt people to take a chance on the series. And I hope the first book will convince them to buy the second and third at the same price.

We'll see.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3524 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  20:37:13  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:

quote:

It's a short novel--about 50,000 words, a length that traditional publishing usually doesn't deal with.

For a number of reasons, $2.99 seems to be the ideal price point. Less-than-a-latte pricing will, I hope, prompt people to take a chance on the series. And I hope the first book will convince them to buy the second and third at the same price.

We'll see.

I'd gladly drop $20 for a charter subscription

P.S. and easily pay $2.99 per tome.

Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
337 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  22:39:14  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Sounds great. Certainly given me something else to look forward too.

Oh and I'm sure we'll respect your whishes and not pester you too much about it, while you're trying to get on. But don't forget, a little shameless self promotion never hurts! I doubt anyone here is going to complain!

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
797 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2011 :  20:25:52  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Elaine. I was just wondering if you ever watched the show "Castle"

Good lord, my first thought when I started watching that show was that Castle and Beckett are a near match for Danilo and Arylin haha.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2269 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2011 :  20:53:54  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

Hey Elaine. I was just wondering if you ever watched the show "Castle"

Good lord, my first thought when I started watching that show was that Castle and Beckett are a near match for Danilo and Arylin haha.

I very seldom watch TV. I only saw one episdoe of "Castle," so I'm not in a position to agree or disagree with your comparison.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 38  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000