Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2011 :  02:08:26  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saer Cormaeril

Elaine, what is 'the song of the lorelei'?

Saer, can you give me some context? Are you speaking of a specific song mentioned in one of my stories, or in generalities?
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2011 :  08:35:10  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Until Saer gives some context, here's what I'd answer: Lorelei is a mythic creature (basically a mermaid) said to have rested on a cliff somewhere along the Rhine where she'd sing for sailors who'd sail their ships aground as they tried to get near her. Basically the same story as Odysseus and the sirens.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2011 :  13:05:36  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a Lorelei in one of the "Songs and Swords" books, right? In Elfsong, maybe?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2011 :  15:00:22  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks to Kajehase for citing the real-world myth.

Baristir is correct: There's reference to a lorelei in ELFSONG, when the paladin Texter is enspelled by the song of an apparent damsel in distress.

For a different treatment of this myth, my story "Lorelei" offers a historical fantasy set near the Rhine in pre-Roman times. It's reprinted in Jim Lowder's WORLDS OF THEIR OWN, published by Paizo's Plant Books imprint. If you missed this particular anthology, stay tuned. Within the next couple of months I'll be e-pubbing a collection of my original (by which I mean NOT set in a shared world) short fiction.

I can't recall whether or not there's a mention of a ballad entitled "The Song of the Lorelei" in my Forgotten Realms tales. But it does sound like the sort of thing about which Danilo might write.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 06 Jul 2011 15:02:23
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2011 :  15:49:42  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's also a pretty good song by the Pogues. ;)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2011 :  18:19:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Thanks to Kajehase for citing the real-world myth.

Baristir is correct: There's reference to a lorelei in ELFSONG, when the paladin Texter is enspelled by the song of an apparent damsel in distress.

For a different treatment of this myth, my story "Lorelei" offers a historical fantasy set near the Rhine in pre-Roman times. It's reprinted in Jim Lowder's WORLDS OF THEIR OWN, published by Paizo's Plant Books imprint. If you missed this particular anthology, stay tuned. Within the next couple of months I'll be e-pubbing a collection of my original (by which I mean NOT set in a shared world) short fiction.

I can't recall whether or not there's a mention of a ballad entitled "The Song of the Lorelei" in my Forgotten Realms tales. But it does sound like the sort of thing about which Danilo might write.

If not a serious ballad, then a minorly bawdy one.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2011 :  19:42:01  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yay! Honor Among Thieves is now availabe at the Kindle store!

http://www.amazon.com/Honor-Among-Thieves-Sevrin-ebook/dp/B0054TQJYI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1307554226&sr=1-5

You don't need a Kindle to read it, however, thanks to all the free conversion apps Kindle offers. I've just been speaking via facebook IM with a reader in Germany who downloaded it to his iPad.

Which reminds me: Honor is also available through Amazon.UK and Amazon.de.

I hope you enjoy Honor's tale. If you do, please consider posting a review on Amazon.com, or on your blogs or websites. Better yet, recommend the book to a friend.

$2.99 ???

SOLD! gotta love how quick it gewts to your iPad, ready to read! (now if only work weren't in the way, I would be reading it now)

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2011 :  20:12:53  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

Yay! Honor Among Thieves is now availabe at the Kindle store!

http://www.amazon.com/Honor-Among-Thieves-Sevrin-ebook/dp/B0054TQJYI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1307554226&sr=1-5

You don't need a Kindle to read it, however, thanks to all the free conversion apps Kindle offers. I've just been speaking via facebook IM with a reader in Germany who downloaded it to his iPad.

Which reminds me: Honor is also available through Amazon.UK and Amazon.de.

I hope you enjoy Honor's tale. If you do, please consider posting a review on Amazon.com, or on your blogs or websites. Better yet, recommend the book to a friend.

$2.99 ???

SOLD! gotta love how quick it gewts to your iPad, ready to read! (now if only work weren't in the way, I would be reading it now)

Hope you enjoy the story! The price seems reasonable to me, even though the story is really a long novella length--35,000 words. The next story, Honor Bound, will be about 75,000, slightly shorter than some of my FR books, but will still be priced at $2.99.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2011 :  01:36:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Should you ever approach an opportunity to pen such a work, I and my trusty instruments would welcome the chance to put the song to music.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Jul 2011 01:40:02
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2011 :  12:05:28  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Should you ever approach an opportunity to pen such a work, I and my trusty instruments would welcome the chance to put the song to music.

I'll keep that in mind, Sage.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2011 :  15:52:57  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just found out via Google Alert that four more of my Forgotten Realms books are scheduled for release in e-book format! That's a total of seven coming between now and the end of September.

Rather than retype the schedule, I will refer those interested to the Upcoming Releases page of my website:

http://www.elainecunningham.com/upcoming-releases/

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2011 :  08:20:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fascinating stuff with the entry on "The Cat and Cauldron," Elaine.

I love these types of write-ups. So much, in fact, that I have every intention of working the art of "spinning" into my Realms sometime over the weekend.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2011 :  10:48:33  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Fascinating stuff with the entry on "The Cat and Cauldron," Elaine.

I love these types of write-ups. So much, in fact, that I have every intention of working the art of "spinning" into my Realms sometime over the weekend.

Thanks, Sage! There's a lot of storytelling going on in this world. People love news and entertainment, so taverns that focus on stories struck me as an interesting way to spend an evening.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2011 :  14:26:09  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Danilo's one of my fave Realms characters, and I'm now curious about his overall reaction to Liriel (another of my faves).
In Tangled Webs, he has a cameo in which he expresses interest and concern. It's not out of the realm of possibility that he continued to do so.
It's close to reformulating the same question (since it's nearly the same as long as the Team Elfgirls Collection remains together), yet...
However interesting Liriel is, Danilo only briefly met her. But how about his old friend? Did he still contact Sharlarra Vendreth after she left the Blackstaff Tower?
Also, was there a novel or story with other spotlights for the star elf? Did she fell out of a gate, or is she from Yuirwood, or ..? How much did her kin try to find her? And so on.

quote:
If not a serious ballad, then a minorly bawdy one.
Given that the subject is rather traditional...

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2011 :  16:15:37  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

However interesting Liriel is, Danilo only briefly met her. But how about his old friend? Did he still contact Sharlarra Vendreth after she left the Blackstaff Tower?

Also, was there a novel or story with other spotlights for the star elf? Did she fell out of a gate, or is she from Yuirwood, or ..? How much did her kin try to find her? And so on.

There are no other stories about Sharlarra Vendreth other than Windwalker and "Answer Prayers," the short story in Best of the Realms III.

I'd like to think that Sharlarra and Danilo kept in touch, or at least crossed paths from time to time.
Go to Top of Page

Saer Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

124 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  11:47:47  Show Profile Send Saer Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Saer Cormaeril

Elaine, what is 'the song of the lorelei'?

Saer, can you give me some context? Are you speaking of a specific song mentioned in one of my stories, or in generalities?

Hi Elaine,
I cannot find my copy of "Elfshadow", or I'd give you a page number and some context. But when reading the book recently, I ran across this reference to 'the song of the lorelei', and I immediately thought, "Now, here's a question for Elaine!"

I believe that Kymil Nymesion says to Arilyn, and I'm paraphrasing, "The elves of Faerun are part of the weave, and they have heard the song of the lorelei".

I'll keep looking for my lost paperback (my sofa has a famous appetite for them), and get back with a page number, unless another scribe can provide.

Thank you, Elaine, for the swift reply!

Brace Cormaeril
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  12:27:39  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just found out via Google Alert that four more of my Forgotten Realms books are scheduled for release in e-book format! That's a total of seven coming between now and the end of September.

Are there any plans on reprinting some of your older books which are out of sale everywhere (for example Evermeet)?
I would love to buy several of them...
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  12:45:35  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found it, it's in the battle between Arilyn and Kymil Nimesin:

"Elven swords flashed and twirled, and sparks from the clashing weapons shot upward into the darkening sky so rapidly that the incredulous Danilo was reminded of festival fireworks. The ringing blows of sword on sword came so quickly that the echoing clangor blended into one reverberating, metallic shriek. A small sound separated itself from the unearthly howl, and a voice began to focus in Danilo's mind. The voice spoke not with words, not with sound, and not to him. Irresistible as the song of the lorelei, the magic voice soared above the din of battle: entreating, insisting, compelling. It called for vengeance. It called for death. With a start, Danilo realized that it was the voice of the elfshadow. The moonblade began to glow as the revenge-bent entity of the sword struggled to escape unbidden. Even to Danilo, its demands were nearly irresistible."

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  13:50:23  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Found it, it's in the battle between Arilyn and Kymil Nimesin:

"Elven swords flashed and twirled, and sparks from the clashing weapons shot upward into the darkening sky so rapidly that the incredulous Danilo was reminded of festival fireworks. The ringing blows of sword on sword came so quickly that the echoing clangor blended into one reverberating, metallic shriek. A small sound separated itself from the unearthly howl, and a voice began to focus in Danilo's mind. The voice spoke not with words, not with sound, and not to him. Irresistible as the song of the lorelei, the magic voice soared above the din of battle: entreating, insisting, compelling. It called for vengeance. It called for death. With a start, Danilo realized that it was the voice of the elfshadow. The moonblade began to glow as the revenge-bent entity of the sword struggled to escape unbidden. Even to Danilo, its demands were nearly irresistible."

Ah. Okay. In this context, it's a reference to the irresistable magical song a river-dwelling mermaid sings to lure men to their death, used to describe the struggle Arilyn was waging against the elfshadow and her own desire for justice/vengence.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  13:51:09  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

quote:

Are there any plans on reprinting some of your older books which are out of sale everywhere (for example Evermeet)?
I would love to buy several of them...

Jarlaxle, I'm not aware of any such plans.
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  15:01:53  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  15:17:28  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of out-of-print books... I picked up The Radiant Dragon from Paizo last week!!!

Note for Candlekeep 2: We need an "oh my god, oh my god, that's so awesome!" smiley.

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  15:47:17  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Speaking of out-of-print books... I picked up The Radiant Dragon from Paizo last week!!!

The Radiant Dragon? From PAIZO?

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  16:36:18  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Sure, Paizo has a lot of back-logged books that they sell. Although, it looks like Kajehase got the last copy of The Radiant Dragon in their inventory.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 11 Jul 2011 16:37:26
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  17:12:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Paizo apparently got a lot of older stock from another company, and was letting it go at some reasonable prices. I myself just placed an order for some older Mage material that I never got the first time around.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  17:19:28  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update on HONOR AMONG THIEVES: Chapter 6 is online at my website, http://www.elainecunningham.com/. It's posted in two parts, so be sure to read part 1 first.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  19:14:18  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Paizo apparently got a lot of older stock from another company, and was letting it go at some reasonable prices. I myself just placed an order for some older Mage material that I never got the first time around.

Woolpert has the right of it. And based on Ashe's information, I'm glad I pounced.

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2011 :  12:56:30  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I posted a YouTube link on my facebook page to the High Kings performing the traditional Irish tune "The Wild Rover." It's one of several tunes I can never hear without battling the compulsion to compose bawdy filk versions from a dwarf woman's point of view. Last night a couple of verses broke free. This morning I woke up with several more, fully formed. Here they are, because why should I suffer alone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP4qSiJX3kQ

THE ELF LOVER

I'm a dwarf from Clan Disney (the lads from Snow White),
And I keep very busy the whole blessed night.
Then I got to thinking it might be sublime
To try seven inches, but all at one time.

CHORUS: But it's no, nay, never. No nay never no more
Will I take an elf lover. No, never no more.

So I left clan and tunnels for starlight and trees
And I picked up an elf with the greatest of ease.
Oh, gold were his tresses and blue were his eyes
And vast was his lust for a woman of size.

REPEAT CHORUS

They say elves are frisky. They say elves are great,
But I cannot be certain the durned elf was straight.
He read odes and sonnets my beauty to praise,
But no lips did he plunder, no skirts did he raise.

REPEAT CHORUS

He plied me with flowers and gemstones and song,
'Til I shrieked in frustration, "What's taking so long?"
"I know you're immortal, but this just won't do.
"Carry on--I'll be back in an hour or two."

REPEAT CHORUS

So he practiced his sonnets in front of the glass
And he primped and he preened like a pretty blond ass.
I went back to the clanhold some dwarf lads to find,
For I'll get there much faster one inch at a time.

REPEAT CHORUS

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 14 Jul 2011 12:57:50
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2011 :  17:42:56  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2011 :  18:06:51  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't quite know what this says about my sense of humour... I love it!

Bravo and more please
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000