Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Pre-Organization of the Candlekeep Compendium
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  11:59:42  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sylrae

I'd like to write an in-depth article about new Myth Drannor, following it's reclamation in 1374, up until 1390 or so. I'd like to present it as a city book, like how paizo writes it's books on cities, but include notes in each section as to what changes after major events happen and include dates, and close-ups on some of the more prominent people who would be in the city. I'd need information on how to deal with characters who originally appear in a novel, because there are some novel characters who move to the city after it is reclaimed, who are powerful enough that they need to be noted. Such as the ruler Ilsevele Miritar, Fflar, Araevin Teshurr (until he finishes the mythal), Seldzsar Elpragh and his son. Sshamath's College of Divination, and College of Ancient Arcana relocate to new MD (I believe it's new MD, correct me if I'm wrong).

Two of Sshamath's colleges move to the city of surface elves?!

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  20:54:40  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After their masters revert to being Dark elves, yeah. See what I mean? Very unexpected things happened near the end of 3e, and I'd like to explore those. It's a little vague at the end of the book where they are going.

They say the City of Hope. That could be referring to Myth Drannor, or it could be referring to the city that Khelben blackstaff rebuilt in miyeritar that he coined the secret city of hope. I'm guessing they are less likely to know about the latter. The former is also a great elven city. I read it to mean they were going to Myth Drannor. Of course, the leaders of these two colleges were the two most powerful mages of the small group that used high magic to reverse the descent.

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)

Edited by - Sylrae on 19 Jun 2010 20:59:37
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  21:15:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, unless we all have access to everything that the LFR have done in the past 2yrs, I think we may have a problem.

How do we know if we are over-writing canon?

Do we have someone here affiliated with the LFR? I remember at least one member was one of the regional guys. That would go a long way in helping us keep some of this within the boundaries set by that group.

And the Myth Drannor post got me thinking about this - that is way to big a piece of canon to go mucking with willy-nilly... I think to stay safe we'd have to concentrate on small, obscure bits of lore and detail them. Think about it - you don't think there is a huge amount of canon info abut 4e Cormanthor that we aren't privy to? At this point, a Compendium is likely to go off in a direction none of the previous ones have - into the zone of 'alternate history', and that's a bad thing.

Personally, I think a Compendium dedicated solely to the 'transition period' would go along way toward mending the community - like Mr. Misc's idea of explaining the new magical traditions. Just creating lore for one era or the other is not going to help us at all. In that, I can agree with Sylrae's timeframe, if not the subject matter.

Besides, I think we should get some sort of official approval of what we can and can't cover, perhaps at the very least from the LFR guys (who can now give us THEIR permission without going to WotC!)

Hmmm... thats not a half-bad idea... roll the Compendium into the new, INDEPENDENT LFR...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Jun 2010 21:16:51
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  21:28:18  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a friend who runs LFR. He doesn't frequent these boards though, you want me to get in contact him and see what sort of info he can give me?
As to the material I'd be wanting to cover. I wouldn't want to include statblocks anyways. It would be an overview of the city during that time, detailing stuff about religions, talking about prominent members of the community, and covering 'what happened here leading up to the end of the spellplague (which I think may actually be 1395DR).' I'd make maps and possibly detail artwork of some of the more important people, and whatnot.

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  21:44:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right - whoever is responsible for Cormanthor in the LFR should have some sort of outline as to what happened, and I would think it best to work within that.

And I reiterate - I think it would be a great idea to get the LFR team on board with us (despite the obvious edition preferences some of us have). Since their work is unofficial, BUT given permission to use the IP (See where I'm going?), I think that would be the SAFEST plan of action for CK to take.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  23:16:49  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
their work is official until the 3rd quarter of this year.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2010 :  00:29:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good to know Sylrae, thank you.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2010 :  01:50:55  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Do we have someone here affiliated with the LFR? I remember at least one member was one of the regional guys. That would go a long way in helping us keep some of this within the boundaries set by that group.

Isn't gomez affiliated with it?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2010 :  02:31:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By George (Krashos)!

I think you're right!

We NEED to get him onboard and figure out how we can 'blend in' with the crowd.

The CandleKeep Compendium
A Living Forgotten Realms Production

Certainly works for me.

Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2010 :  08:21:34  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of getting involved with the LFR people.
They stop being WoTC approved (Currently WotC staff go over everything they put out and approve it all and make it canon) at the end of the 3rd quarter (or maybe the beginning of the third quarter, ill have to go back and check my chat history). At that point, the number of regions is being largely decreased, the whole LFR project is gonna shrink, and be all unofficial, the modules won't be paid for, published, or get the WotC stamp of approval anymore, and they'll be less official than us (as Ed often comes here. :P) But they'll have the go ahead to use the FR license.

Think my section would be suitable for the compendium? or should I just make it separate.

Obviously anything we make shouldn't contradict canon. There isn't much to look out for though. Cormanthor isn't an LFR region, and I plan on contacting the Cormyr and Dalelands people to make sure I dont contradict any single modules they ran in the area.

Edit: Double checked. End of 3rd.

Edited by - Sylrae on 20 Jun 2010 08:34:15
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  04:58:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably END of 3rd quarter - they are not going to piss-off the guys running their games just before Gencon.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  07:46:13  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Isn't gomez affiliated with it?

He does the Dales...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  07:48:02  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:

I'd like to write an in-depth article about new Myth Drannor, following it's reclamation in 1374, up until 1390 or so. I'd like to present it as a city book, like how paizo writes it's books on cities, but include notes in each section as to what changes after major events happen and include dates, and close-ups on some of the more prominent people who would be in the city. I'd need information on how to deal with characters who originally appear in a novel, because there are some novel characters who move to the city after it is reclaimed, who are powerful enough that they need to be noted. Such as the ruler Ilsevele Miritar, Fflar, Araevin Teshurr (until he finishes the mythal), Seldzsar Elpragh and his son. Sshamath's College of Divination, and College of Ancient Arcana relocate to new MD (I believe it's new MD, correct me if I'm wrong).

Two of Sshamath's colleges move to the city of surface elves?!

I could have sworn it was Silverymoon.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  08:50:36  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was vague at the end of the novel. just 'City of Hope'. Which wo me could be one of a couple cities. Though from what I recently read about 4eFR, it seems very likely that they were referring to Rhymanthiin. Which is unfortunate, because Myth Drannor would have been (in my opinion) far more interesting a locale for two of sshamath's colleges.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  20:03:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thus my suggestion that we stay away from areas that authors & designers are obviously interested in. 'Big Ticket' places like Myth Drannor should be off-limits, because the lore for them is spread all over the place, and very few of us (myself included) have done the required research for such a project .

For instance, I found a tiny little scrap of FR lore in a Spelljammer product that was based in Greyspace (Greyhawk) - two settings that have almost nothing to do with FR (directly). The more important the region you want to write-about, the more information you will find scattered all over the place.

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

He does the Dales...

ALL of them?

Verile guy.

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Jun 2010 20:09:31
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2010 :  07:32:36  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I'm going to do a piece on Myth Drannor, or anything else that's god interesting tidbits on it, I'm going to do the research.
If anyone can point me in the right direction when I have questions, that'll save me time, but I can do the research on my own as well. That includes everything from Dragon, to novels, to modules, to rpg supplements. Hell, I'll probably even read up on the videogames.

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
738 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2010 :  07:40:07  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On second thoughts, regardless of IP issues and fansite policies (or lack thereof) and the like, count me in for a “fun” piece. Wizards are welcome to attribute to themselves whatever I write about the “Not the Neverwinter Nine” adventuring party.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Brace Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

294 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2010 :  08:32:29  Show Profile  Visit Brace Cormaeril's Homepage Send Brace Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm working on lore regarding the edicts of Azoun V, regarding common law.

The Silver Fire's Blade: A Novella in Nine Parts, Available Soon, in the Adventuring Forum!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2010 :  08:50:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got a focus and potential topic for my music article.

I was intentionally going to follow on from what I'd written in my proposed DRAGON submission. But the creative bug has bitten very hard, and I'm now working from an entirely new angle.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2010 :  13:29:26  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah with what I have I am ready to take the risk that Wizards snatches what I made. The risk is worth taking IMO.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2010 :  20:46:07  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still in the early stages of organizing my notes for my Oghman temple complex idea. basically I'm writting up an, well Oghman Temple Complex. I'm planning on giving it a full detailed history and layout but hopefully leaving it generic enough that people can use it anywhere, rather than getting into the murky waters of tying it to an actual location.
Go to Top of Page

xaviera
Learned Scribe

Canada
149 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  02:30:46  Show Profile  Visit xaviera's Homepage Send xaviera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So... any comments on submission procedures and document formatting?

Writings on Sharess: Thoughts & Prayers by Xaviera ~ High Priestess of Sharess
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
738 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  08:07:45  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaviera

Seconded. I'd like to know how much time I have (and more importantly how much time I must take away from my 'Realmspeak' research) before the 3.75E Compendium 'ships'. Yeah, I know, it's gonna be edition neutral. The "3.75E" was a little joke about the "bridging" content it will contain.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  10:45:52  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

quote:
Originally posted by xaviera

Seconded. I'd like to know how much time I have (and more importantly how much time I must take away from my 'Realmspeak' research) before the 3.75E Compendium 'ships'. Yeah, I know, it's gonna be edition neutral. The "3.75E" was a little joke about the "bridging" content it will contain.

And thirded. Can't wait to translate my Namarra/Aribeth de Tylmarande stuff...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
738 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  13:37:16  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

Can't wait to translate my Namarra/Aribeth de Tylmarande stuff...

Aribeth! I can't wait for your take on her. Let me know if you want to swap out ideas about her rise and fall in Neverwinter.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  21:16:55  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

There was an interesting tid-bit in Cormanthor: Empire of Elves that got my wheels turning. A couple of them, actually. One was the dragon oddity of Garnetesellar, and the other is what happened after Josediah Starym went down into the Twisted Tower after the Warrior's Blade. Neither has been written on, so far as I know (please let me know if I'm wrong) and I'd LOVE to do a piece on one or both stories. Would that be doable?

Does anyone know if either of these has been done before? I'm very interested in the lore of these two. For one, I'd like to do a piece on the history of that peculiar dragon. Does anyone know of source material about him other than the Cormanthyr book? And the same question goes for Starym and his quest to get the Soldeir's Blade back. (This one I'm particularly interested in because it ties into one of my fave NPC's, a certain drow ranger who ended up with Josediah's panther figurine...) I'd like to know if there is anything on either of these in the novels or other sourcebooks. the only thing I can find on Josediah is the short story in Realms of Magic. Thanks for any input on this.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  21:35:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brace Cormaeril

I'm working on lore regarding the edicts of Azoun V, regarding common law.
The article I am doing (which isn't the same one I started doing) contains two points of Cormyrian Law, one old (and canon), and the other an edict made by Azoun IV directly following the Tuigan War.

I just thought we may want to confer to avoid any disagreements. My new law is more of a clarification, but it did have major impact on certain things.

Then again, Azoun V may have changed it back, and he may have even had good reason to.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  21:39:53  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... forgoing the Samurai story for something a little shorter.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  22:55:23  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If I'm going to do a piece on Myth Drannor, or anything else that's god interesting tidbits on it, I'm going to do the research.
If anyone can point me in the right direction when I have questions, that'll save me time, but I can do the research on my own as well. That includes everything from Dragon, to novels, to modules, to rpg supplements. Hell, I'll probably even read up on the videogames.

the dragon magazines, not going to be much help with, as the only one I have on it is placedaway with npcs in it were npcs from the novel that went with the second pool of raidiance game.

but novel wise
Poof of Radiance: Ruins of Mythdrannor
the Last Gate Trilogy by Richard Baker
Elminster in Myth Drannor
splat or adventure
Cormanthyr: Empire of elves
Pool of Radiance II: what ever its name was
Fall of Myth Drannor

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  23:19:07  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't had the chance to read them yet, but I think Ed's Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy might be useful as well.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000