Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Pre-Organization of the Candlekeep Compendium
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2010 :  02:44:56  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, but that is cool too!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2010 :  04:25:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

The Sage shudders as he imagines Alaundo in a Wolverine-styled berserker rage

The Alaundorine

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2010 :  04:51:43  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

The Sage shudders as he imagines Alaundo in a Wolverine-styled berserker rage

The Alaundorine

...but adamantine tome covers would suit him better as weapons...

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2010 :  05:01:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What? You want a masterpiece in under 5 minutes?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2010 :  12:30:05  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Hey, Mr. James!

Your big secret wouldn't be THIS, would it?

I suspect it is something not found in their 2011 fall catalog.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2010 :  18:31:11  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My historical piece on Anauria. It has some crunchy bits to it that I can easily remove, and there aren't many of them to remove. I can always expand on it further down the road, adding detail to NPCs (stories) and other regions within Anauria. Hope it fits in.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2010 :  03:01:06  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my opinion it's not necessary to try and adhere to a strict 50/50 split, because *that* might turn people away from writing if there's all of a sudden no room for pre or post-Spellplague material.

I do agree some sort of balance is necessary, but only in the sense that the compendium can appeal to as many scribes as possible. So how about we figure out what people want to write first, then see if we're really lopsided in either direction?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2010 :  03:04:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Miscellany

I do agree some sort of balance is necessary, but only in the sense that the compendium can appeal to as many scribes as possible. So how about we figure out what people want to write first, then see if we're really lopsided in either direction?

Good call. A more thorough listing of possible contributions would be the logical next step.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2010 :  03:21:25  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in for some Arcane Age articles if you like......crunch without mechanics or even edition specific if it will fill a niche.........

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2010 :  03:27:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My article will be on kara-Tur, detailing the period of time following the ToT up to the effects of the spellplague. Think 'broad strokes'.

In other words, editions 2, 3, AND 4.

EDIT: Already ran into a snafu - what are demi-gods called again in 4e? I think Fzoul is one of these now....

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Jun 2010 03:34:16
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2010 :  03:30:41  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd donate a 4e write up of a couple of my players characters from Baldur's gate cprg that I used in various run throughs...
I hate the 4e npc stat block though so....

well I'd read a new candlekeep compendium regardless on what was in them

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2010 :  03:49:56  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My article will be on kara-Tur, detailing the period of time following the ToT up to the effects of the spellplague. Think 'broad strokes'.

EDIT: Already ran into a snafu - what are demi-gods called again in 4e? I think Fzoul is one of these now....

Same snag for Zakkhara as well Markustay. I think I recall them being exemplars or something like that. Someone more knowledgeable please assist here.

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2010 :  03:59:19  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Exarchs is the 'technical' term.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2010 :  04:05:39  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

MT, if you want to do the "Broad Strokes", I could do an interspersed story (I'm thinking like a two-column thing or something). You give an overall idea of what's happening and I could write it from the POV of a samurai traveling to investigate per the Emperor's orders.

Or something... What do you think?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2010 :  04:55:02  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Marcus, alaundorine was hilarious.
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2010 :  07:24:39  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

quote:
Alaundo's expressed tentative interest, but his busy work schedule has prevented him from providing me with a more definitive answer.

Sage, just out of curiosity: what is Alaundo busy with that keeps him away from the Keep?

It's mostly the result of the great demands of his real-life job.

Though, Jackman secretly posing as Alaundo would be kinda cool! It would give new meaning to the phrase we all like to pass around from time to time:- "Beware the wrath of the Irritated Moderator."

-- The Sage shudders as he imagines Alaundo in a Wolverine-styled berserker rage

You know, that position about him not involved sounds a lot like Ao. Could it be...?

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2010 :  07:38:25  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:

Thank you very much Brimstone

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2010 :  07:49:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you - some times the mood around here gets a bit... heated... and I think we could all use a laugh once in awhile.
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Thanx Brim - I will try to use the newer terminolgy whenever possible, to better blend (and smooth-out) the transition-period.

@Ashe - The way I had started my series of K-T articles was a 'frame story' - a learned Sage of the Shou Emperor's court recording a bit of history some 50 years after the fact.

From the Kara-Turan POV, the 'new World Order' actually began during the ToT - they see the Spellplague as the final culmination of those events. If you recall, their Gods basically all sat on the side and watched the others make a mess of Toril.

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2010 :  21:58:11  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure I'm comfortable contributing something to anything (nevermind anywhere) until I'm comfortable with where I would stand legally if, heaven forbid, WotC (or Hasbro) decided to turn its legal eye my way due to that something I did contribute. I'm not clear on their fansite (or whatever it's called) policy, and I'm not even clear they have one, despite what they claim and where they direct you. I’m not a stupid person, I know that, but I’m not sure anything I contribute won’t help to close the shop of that place I contribute it to. And that fear, which none of my reading or trying to understand has allayed, must make me respectfully decline to contribute anything to a Candlekeep Compendium at this point. I still feel very much like Frodo in Mordor, with the Eye of Sauron ever seeking, and surely finding me if I dare put on the Ring.
Enough metaphors and long-windedness! It’s not about an edition for me, it’s about my (and by extension Candlekeep’s) legal position should another Compendium be published. And from where I’m sitting, I’m not liking my (our) chances.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2010 :  01:09:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your concern is appreciated Kyrene. Matt and I have already discussed some of the particulars of this issue privately, and I'm still waiting for updates from both Wizards and Alaundo so we can be sure just what we can achieve with this project once we proceed. It's simply a matter of time.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2010 :  04:52:01  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I'd want to see it avoid any and all crunch unless it can have multiple editions/games of crunch. I'm putting forth the suggestion that if anyone wants to write crunch for it, the crunch be in a separate document that references the fluff (maybe with page numbers and whatnot). That way 4e people don't have to look at 2e/3e/PFRPG mechanics, and vice-versa. I'd also want to see it avoid mention of anything that changes the past via retcon.

System neutral would be a good idea, especially where we don't all want to play the realms in the same system, and there is much hostility about the current system/setting. Let's make this as universally enjoyable as possible. :)

I'd like to see some dates to various large events that happened in the realms which were only detailed in the context of a novel, with a brief mention of the event and how it affects people:
13XXDR, Month, Day - "Vhaeraun is killed by Eilistraee, who takes up all of his mantles. She begins granting spells to Vhaeraun's followers, who are initially unaware of his death. She becomes known to them as the masked lady when they figure it out, and the two churches combine. Old followers of Eilistraee find themselves more willing to do manipulative and evil things to further the good causes of EIlistraee."

Obviously avoid things that have been published before, and don't mention anything in A Grand History of the Realms. Continue the timeline after the death of mystra up to the 4e FRCS, without mentioning much that has been mentioned elsewhere. If we mention an event that has info in the 4e FRCS or Grand History of the Realms, mention where more information on the event can be found, but don't say what the more info is.

I wouldn't mind writing some kind of Arcane Age article, or maybe a short story set between 1380 and 1390. As long as I don't have retcons or 4e mechanics in my face, it'll be great, and I'd love to help/see what others come up with.

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2010 :  05:57:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I volunteer we blame everything on me.

My ex got EVERYTHING I owned in the divorce, except my clothes and my books, so I have absolutely nothing anyone can sue me for.... in a weird way it's sort of liberating.

I think Janis Joplin said it best - "Being free is just another word for nothing left to lose..."

Anyhow, they are welcome to go after my ex on my account - anything they can take from her, god bless them.

Edit: Seriousness time - I've got it narrowed down to two particular events I want to detail, and the rest I will just gloss-over and probably do a small timeline of the east (focused on the years from the ToT to the Spellplague). One event will focus on the results of the ToT, and the other, the result of the Spellplague... I think that bit will please everyone.. the 4e-ers might be surprised at how much attention I give them. I have a LOT of material, and I think the only way I can do any of it justice is to break it down into a more focused piece.

EDIT2: Thinking further, I don't want it to be like my last article, and have it trying to do two things at once. I think I will only devote a paragraph or three to the ToT event, and have the main body of the article be about the disastrous (and rather spectacular) destruction of the Dragonwall when the Spellplague hit.

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Jun 2010 09:05:55
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2010 :  06:26:19  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was an interesting tid-bit in Cormanthor: Empire f Elves that got my wheels turning. a couple of them, actually. One was the dragon oddity of Garnetesellar, and the other is what happened after Josediah Starym went down into the Twisted Tower after the Warrior's Blade. Neither has been written on, so far as I know (please let me know if I'm wrong) and I'd LOVE to do a piece on one or both stories. Would that be doable?

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2010 :  10:06:57  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I understand I have to keep away from official NPCs. The question then is: are the BG (Baldur's Gate) ones official or not? I could write about Namarra (for those who do not know - the daughter of Coran and Brielbara)...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2010 :  17:05:06  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd also like to see some transition between the 3e and 4e timeline.
The Osse project is also something I'd like to see in a new Candlekeep Compendium, and of course fanon about the other "unknown" continents. And an Arcane Age article sounds good to me.

If it's ok I'd also like to contribute to the new Compendium. I was thinking about writing an article about a Candlekeep scribe exploring Returned Abeir.

quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

Okay, I understand I have to keep away from official NPCs. The question then is: are the BG (Baldur's Gate) ones official or not? I could write about Namarra (for those who do not know - the daughter of Coran and Brielbara)...

AFAIK FR games are not considered canon, but on the other hand the BG novels are canon. That would mean NPC's from the BG games that do not appear in the novels aren't canon, but I might be wrong...
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2010 :  21:56:32  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's the official stance, yeah. Also means NWN isn't Canon. so umm, feel free to write about Deekin Scalesinger. :P

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2010 :  22:01:40  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sylrae

That's the official stance, yeah. Also means NWN isn't Canon. so umm, feel free to write about Deekin Scalesinger. :P

There is a reference to the plague that struck Neverwinter in tGHotR though, wich makes NWN partialy canon I guess.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2010 :  00:42:01  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with the whole fluff idea. In all the products
I was always most interested in turning the fluff into
something I could use in a story. Crunch is a necessary
evil due to the fact that conflict is involved.
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2010 :  06:08:46  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm leaning towards writing something about mages re-learning magic all over again and a possible "arms race" between various nations and city states to be first to master the Art after the fall of the Weave.
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  09:16:28  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to write an in-depth article about new Myth Drannor, following it's reclamation in 1374, up until 1390 or so. I'd like to present it as a city book, like how paizo writes it's books on cities, but include notes in each section as to what changes after major events happen and include dates, and close-ups on some of the more prominent people who would be in the city. I'd need information on how to deal with characters who originally appear in a novel, because there are some novel characters who move to the city after it is reclaimed, who are powerful enough that they need to be noted. Such as the ruler Ilsevele Miritar, Fflar, Araevin Teshurr (until he finishes the mythal), Seldzsar Elpragh and his son. Sshamath's College of Divination, and College of Ancient Arcana relocate to new MD (I believe it's new MD, correct me if I'm wrong).

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000