Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Cold Field
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2010 :  04:32:48  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So far I only found info from 2E's "The Dalelands" book. Is there any other FR source that has info on this region?

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2010 :  05:08:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that's mostly it. I recall a few brief mentions elsewhere in other sources dealing with either Scardale, Harrowdale, or just the Dalelands in general. But nothing that really builds on what was included in the source you've mentioned.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2010 :  13:20:59  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is mentioned in Volos Guide to the Dalelands I think, but nothing major. I seem to remember Ed posting quite a bit about Harrowdale years ago, there might be something there, but I am not sure.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  18:55:48  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been trying to find more lore about this region as well... I seem to remember seeing something in a recent post from THO, likely in Ed's 2010 scroll, about the Cold Field being one big NDA at the moment... which doesn't surprise me in the slightest. If it's interesting, WotC has it bottled up just in case they decide to publish two words about it ten years down the road. In the meantime, as DMs, we're forced to come up with our own information on the region, which almost certainly is different from Ed's already-written but unavailable description.

Not to get all RW on this or anything, but if RL-oriented entities covered things up as well as Wizbro does with the Realms, the news would consist entirely of the weather and sports.

Rant over, and kept as abstract as possible... returning to the Realms now.

Here's a post from the REALMS-L archives that probably doesn't have anything new, but I'll post it here for completeness' sake:

quote:

Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 05:40:29 +0100
Reply-To: The Forgotten Realms Mailing List <[log in to unmask]>
Sender: The Forgotten Realms Mailing List <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: PLACES "The Cold Fields"
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

> From: No Real Name <[log in to unmask]>

> I plan to set my next campaign in the Dalelands (mostly Harrowdale) and are
> wondering if any of you fellow gamers has any info an "The Cold Fields", a
> patch of land southwest of Harrowdale and north of Scardale.

<SNIP>
>
> Best regards
> Johan Lindkvist

In the out-of-print 1993 TSR accessory "The Dalelands" by L. Richard Baker III,
the Cold Field is defined as a treeless plain known as "a place of the dead."
The landscape is further defined as being grassy downs over which many ancient
battlefields lie scattered. In winter, those travelers who cross the field seek
sheltered trails to avoid the bitterly cold winds blowing from the north. There
are rumors that Lashan of Scardale hid his still-missing treasure in a cairn
upon the Cold Field, and it is said that once each year, on the deepest night of
winter, the ghosts of the fallen from ancient battles walk the Cold Field and
claim the soul of any living being unfortunate enough to be out on the field at
that time. During summer, shepherds graze their flocks in parts of the Cold
Field.

That's as much official information as I'm aware of. Our Northern Journey
Project Group has expanded some upon this area and mapped what was expanded.
If you're interested in this additional but unofficial material, it will
be released sometime within the next tenday in "Tale of 2 Liches," the new
fourth module of "Northern Journey" and will be available for free down-
load at the NJ web site:

<http://members.aol.com/nrpgp>

along with the first 3 NJ modules and supporting graphical material.

Mark Oliva in Bavaria
<[log in to unmask]>
Online Coordinator, Northern Journey Project

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2012 :  14:31:47  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was thinking about the Cold Field recently, remembered this thread, and decided to add more to it that wasn't mentioned before.

11/6/2006, Ed said:

"There are still ogres lurking about, too, though the "kingdom" of ogres was shattered long ago (notably in the battles with humans, in what are now known as the Cold Fields, near Scardale; the ogres had for many, many years raided the elves, who fought them off and then ignored them - - but when humans moved into the area, the ogres regarded them as a swarming, fast-multiplying threat, tried to exterminate them, and reaped a whirlwind for their pains)."

So we at least know where most of the dead came from, possibly.

I couldn't find any post where Ed said this area was NDA, but I am sure it is. I wish we knew HOW LONG the NDA will go on with what we ask. Is knowing how long an NDA is in place for a particular subject also part of the NDA?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2012 :  16:44:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

I couldn't find any post where Ed said this area was NDA, but I am sure it is. I wish we knew HOW LONG the NDA will go on with what we ask. Is knowing how long an NDA is in place for a particular subject also part of the NDA?

NDAs don't have expiration dates, unfortunately -- at least, not the ones TSR/WotC does. They don't expire until either the relevant material is published, or until they specifically decide to lift it.

The latter would involve reviewing the NDA and its subject material, reviewing why it was NDA in the first place (usually publishing plans which may or may not still be in play), working with their Legal department to make sure it was lifted properly, and notifying all affected parties. As you can see, that's a bit of a process -- whereas leaving it in place is free and involves no work at all.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2012 :  23:18:18  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to recall one of the FR novels in the "War of the Spider Queen" series - "Extinction" by Lisa Smedman - had a reference to this place and some events there.

That may be the NDA that Ed was referring to, although I note that by 2006, the novel had already been published.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 28 Oct 2012 23:20:22
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2012 :  04:06:52  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah I see. Jeez, WotC needs to not take their NDA so seriously. It's not CIA level information they're hiding. Honestly, where do they get the time to review every piece of the Realms and call NDA on them? They can't spend that same amount of time actually getting the writing done for those details to be released?

I should leave that for another topic. As for the Cold Field, not much info still but knowing an army of ogres were around definitely springs up a lot of ideas for littering the region with things to do and discover.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000