Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Druids - a mystic class
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2012 :  08:46:25  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all, sorry for header, but tcould not find better words...

Druids have, especially in 2e been one of my fav classes.

In 3e, they became insane combat monsters, imho at least.

But even more interesting is the level of activities druids can do in certain comunities.

I know in Sossal the Druids are part of the Government and also help fighting battles ( RLB Year of the rogue Dragons i.e. ).

Whereas the emerald enclave has a different approach...

So, for me the question is, is the emerald enclave some sort of fanatics that strictly over-follow their initial targets, and are the sossal-like druids more common??

And YES, the question is also backed by an urge to supplement Goblinoid Druids.
Whenever Stumbling over Goblinoids, I think that the Wolflord Prestige class is MADE for Goblinoid Druids....

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  15:12:26  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sossrim have innate druidic abilities akin to sorcerors innate magic, so that would obviously lead to the country putting high druids in a position of leadership

Most Sossrim druids venerate Mielekki and I assume that is where your differences in druidic philosophies lie (what diety they worship and the tenets they follow)

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  17:28:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the typical druid is solitary and protects their "little piece of the world". Druid circles are only common in very large forests, and off the top of my head I would hazard to guess they make up less then 50% of all druids.

Druids that get involved in politics are an anomaly - that goes well away from what they are supposed to be about. The Emerald Enclave are extremists.

I have always loved druids, but in earlier editions they were really nerfed (unless you were in a forest, they were almost useless). Unfortunately, I think 3e went overboard on powering them up - they don't even seem like druids anymore. Once again, I am torn. I think they were closer to their roots when they were almost useless. I'd use them as NPCs, but I am just not understanding why druids would be adventurers (except for a specific story-arc).

EDIT: The Raumathari culture was ruled by druids at one point (from the Frostfell novel). Considering that they and Sossrim are both of Raumvari stock, along with the Rashemi, it stands to reason that all Raumvari have druidic leanings. If the Netherese are indeed from ancient Gur stock, that would mean the folk of Seventon (proto-Netherese) may have also been more inclined to nature magic (until they got their hands on the Nether scrolls, and stole magical knowledge from the people of Thaeravel).

In fact, it makes perfect sense that most (primitive) people start-out with shamanistic/druidic magic and then move on to more advanced forms.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Oct 2012 17:39:24
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  02:00:42  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakuta Khan

Druids have, especially in 2e been one of my fav classes.
In 3e, they became insane combat monsters, imho at least.
Druids started as "tree-hugger with an elfload of fire spell" joke character and got really weird setting specifics built into core mechanics.
3e... was being 3e - easy shapeshifting, ubercantrips, megagoldpieces, and all that.
quote:

I know in Sossal the Druids are part of the Government and also help fighting battles ( RLB Year of the rogue Dragons i.e. ).
And then there are Moonshae...
quote:

Whereas the emerald enclave has a different approach...
So, for me the question is, is the emerald enclave some sort of fanatics that strictly over-follow their initial targets, and are the sossal-like druids more common??
Emerald Enclave is rocking the boat that already needed some water removed from bilges. In a way, they received a treat and chose to chomp off the hand giving it, too. They seem to slip into this because there's a good power base for them and no local force both able and willing to have the island returned to its original purpose - refuge - the hard way.
Sossal and Moonshae are more rustic and simple places, there's no conflict precisely because druids are an integral part of the people's life.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2012 :  11:48:44  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for sharing opinions, quite as I thought, emeralds are fanatics ( in some way ) and sossal ones or moonshae very specific.

I would imagine druids rarely as wanderers, but also as protectors of either a specific race or area, or combination of both.

quote:
originally posted by TBeholder
Druids started as "tree-hugger with an elfload of fire spell" joke character and got really weird setting specifics built into core mechanics.
3e... was being 3e - easy shapeshifting, ubercantrips, megagoldpieces, and all that.

what wxactly do you mean here with megagoldpieces?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000