Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Undermountain dungeons and timeline
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2012 :  12:13:59  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello, everyone.

So happened that I started running campaign in Undermountain. I looked through few guides of 2nd and 3.x editions, having fleshed out some ideas. However, something bothers me.

Most of info I got from 2nd edition and the adventure goes in 3rd. Were there any major changes in population of Undermountain levels, general monsters, NPCs and various organizations including? It would be awkward to use someone who is supposed to be long dead or who who don't live there anymore.

Thank you.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2012 :  14:12:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not until 4E...

Personally, I'd stick with the 2E info. I found what little I read of the 3E book to be underwhelming -- not only did I not care for the plot, I was immediately discouraged when, within a few pages of it detailing what kind of magic didn't work in Undermountain, it described an Undermountain-based NPC using magic that wouldn't work.

For the 2E lore, you've got the 2 boxed sets, the three modules, and the updates in Dragon 227. Plus the info on the Promenade, in Dragon 176, and the Skullport supplement.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2012 :  14:42:32  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only major change that happens in non-Skullport denizens that I know of is that the drow presence on the upper levels is periodically wiped out by adventurers and then re-inhabited by ambitious (and expendable) younger nobles. I think they go through the process two or three times.

Also, I think Muriel might have gotten killed somewhere between 2e and 3e, but I may be misremembering. And Arcturia was supposed to have been killed in that awful Undermountain novel. But in both cases they're such powerful, twisty beings that it's just as easy to believe that death didn't "stick."

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000