Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Maenads
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

woodwwad
Learned Scribe

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  03:59:54  Show Profile  Visit woodwwad's Homepage Send woodwwad a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
They are a race discribed in Expanded Psionics Handbook ( 3.5 ) And of coursed based on the greek creature of the same name. My question, being that I have only seen them in this book, is does anyone know if there is any FR info on them? I plan to use one in my up coming FR game, they would of course not be hard to work in but any info would be appreciated, thanks yo.

Check out my reviews on youtube of Forgotten Realms and other rpg products. http://www.youtube.com/user/woodwwad?feature=mhum

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  05:36:13  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen or heard anything about them in the Realms.

I would use them as decendents of Jhammdath(sp) that survived the Elven Flood that created the Vilhon Reach.

Hope that helps some.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  08:54:44  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

I haven't seen or heard anything about them in the Realms.

I would use them as decendents of Jhammdath(sp) that survived the Elven Flood that created the Vilhon Reach.

Hope that helps some.

Funny you mention that, that's exactly the history I gave them in my games. And since the Vilhon Reach has a coastal region and the Sea of Fallen Stars has islands, it works perfect for maenads since their lands are said to be in coastal areas.

The way I described it was many of the psionicists of Jhaamdath, in desperation, called out to their deity to save them. In a spark of clairsentient insight and guidance from the deity, many that had psionic ability desperately tried to harness the Udoxias in the corresponding cities to escape the devastation. Several hundred managed to save themselves and/or others, from a mixture between Auppenser's last ditch effort to grant them the necessary mental power and then draw the necessary powers to survive the tsunami and its aftermath.

This last minute effort caused a chaotic influx of psychic energy and deific power that collided together quite quickly to transform these people into their current forms. The crystal-coated skin is a physical and permanent manifestation of the power drawn to survive. Also a side effect, because of the wild emotion and panic surging through their minds as these powers were invoked, they became a wildly emotional race. That part helps to explain their turbulent emotions they try to control and wanting to acquire that serenity they once had under the guidance of Auppenser when Jhaamdath was in its golden age.

Since then, they've continued to inhabit the area, but keep themselves as secluded as possible for personal reasons. As for why they prefer coastal/island regions, it's partly due to nostalgia of their home and its destruction, partly because of the psychic energies fueled coupled with the mental trauma involved in that event that's lingered and haunts the race for generations. Still, they remain faithful to Auppenser for his guidance in saving them, despite his slumber, and are one of the main reasons he doesn't fall completely into death.

Obviously, all of this fits to their description in the EPH.

Edited by - Razz on 23 May 2010 08:56:46
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  09:53:55  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds really good.

I know that the psychic race from Eberron would also work with Jhammdath. The Quori. They possess their hosts. I am going to look them up again.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 23 May 2010 09:56:00
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic