Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Pirates! Poll
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dragonfriend
Seeker

Italy
65 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  07:50:31  Show Profile  Visit dragonfriend's Homepage Send dragonfriend a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Just curious as usual

Pirates and Corsairs are a great love for fantasy rpgamers. We Realms lovers are no different.
So, what is the best place to play an high sea campaign in the Realms?
(No Zakhara or Kara Tur).

Choices:

Sea of Fallen Star (a classic, with a lot of Realms lands to visit)
Along the Sword Coast (From Luskan to Calimport and back)
The Shining Sea (Jungles and Deserts! Scimitars and Gold)
Across the Trackless Sea (struggle for the True World)
The Great Sea (the most incredible coast of Faerun)
Underdak Sea (I''m not afraid of the dark)

(Anonymous Vote)

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  08:13:48  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sword Coast, I'd say, although they're all brilliant. Sword Coast is at least somewhat bigger and with more islands and open water. AAR!!!

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

dragonfriend
Seeker

Italy
65 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  08:19:02  Show Profile  Visit dragonfriend's Homepage Send dragonfriend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Come on friends, tell us why you prefer a sea over the others!My favorite is the Great Sea! I like the name [:-D] and the incredible lands across its coast. from the savage coast of Chult to lands of the serpents. Then you can see the flying ships of Halruaa and the bay of dolphins in the lands of the half-drows. Don't forget a great kingdom of lizard-folks. Halfling ports and 3 merchant nations. And why not, even far off Nimbral. Your ship could be attacked by its flying knights in cristal armor

Edited by - dragonfriend on 14 May 2010 11:28:09
Go to Top of Page

dragonfriend
Seeker

Italy
65 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  08:21:59  Show Profile  Visit dragonfriend's Homepage Send dragonfriend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

Sword Coast, I'd say, although they're all brilliant. Sword Coast is at least somewhat bigger and with more islands and open water. AAR!!!

you are right! A lot of islands with hidden bays and lost towers!
can I travel with your crew ?
Go to Top of Page

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  09:38:44  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sword Coast is my favorite reion so I'll vote for it.
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  10:33:08  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dragonfriend

Aye matey, 'Course you can! So long as you've got an eye patch and an undead parrot anyone's welcome to crew the Karsus' Folly!

YARRR!!!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  10:36:10  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arrrghe!
After Monkey Island I cannot imagine pirate. Sorry, for me pirate is past. There is no better pirate than Guybrush Threepwood, the mighty pirate.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

dragonfriend
Seeker

Italy
65 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  11:33:46  Show Profile  Visit dragonfriend's Homepage Send dragonfriend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

quote:
Originally posted by dragonfriend

Aye matey, 'Course you can! So long as you've got an eye patch and an undead parrot anyone's welcome to crew the Karsus' Folly!

YARRR!!!

I can see my PC, human from Amn. lawful neutral eyepatched 2nd level rogue/2nd level wizard/1st level cleric of Azuth with an undead bat as familiar
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  11:40:51  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
indeed, they're much easier to clean up after.

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  13:31:43  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sea of Fallen Stars is my pick. Being able to visit a variety of places and include the Cormyrean navy...how could you not

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  13:54:00  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sea of Fallen Stars, cause of all the cultures meeting there.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  14:20:55  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ninjas along the sword coast....whoops pirates... pirates along the sword ghost. ARG!

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  14:49:33  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Great Sea...
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  15:08:28  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't vote, because I'm torn. I love the Sea of Fallen Stars, and especially everything beneath the waves (sea elves vs pirates!), but lately I've also been thinking a lot about Dambraii pirates raiding the Shining Sea, and coming down to Zakhara for a bit of friendly loot and pillage.

One thing's certain, though: a pirate campaign would be easier to run on the SoFS, because all the lands are so well defined. There's much less on the stuff to the south, and some parts of the coast (south of Var until you get to Zakhara) isn't detailed at all. So from a work perspective, SoFS would be easier.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  15:11:24  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sea of Fallen Stars for me!

You could go all around the coasts, into the Moonsea and have a wide variety of kingdoms to plunder..errr...adventure in.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  15:47:19  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Shining Sea would be my choice. Pulpish Pirates belong in hot regions and here you get corsairs,traders and pirates from both Zakhara and Faerun (with some Kara-Turans meeting). Plus I really like the sea-based Zakhara products.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  17:03:25  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arrr ye ol´ lads! For me it is also the Shining Sea. As Jorkens stated, it is just the climate for pirate settings. Search for treasures in the jungles and an oriental setting like Zakhara to sell your plunder is a must for me.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  17:08:14  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

Arrrghe!
After Monkey Island I cannot imagine pirate. Sorry, for me pirate is past. There is no better pirate than Guybrush Threepwood, the mighty pirate.

Harhar! “I’m selling these fine leather jackets.” Absolutely great!

or this one:

Guybrush: I’m looking for 30 dead guys and one woman.
Cannibal: I don’t think I want to hear any more about it.

and this one:

Haggis McMutton: Well, Haggis is only my nickname. My true name is ‘Heart Lungs And Liver Boiled In The Stomach Of The Animal McMutton’.
Guybrush: Oh, so your parents were expecting a girl.
Haggis: Aye.

Sorry for the off topic...

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625

Edited by - skychrome on 14 May 2010 17:26:46
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  17:21:13  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sword Coast! Get pursued by Northmen! Visit the Nelanther Isles! Fight with Northmen! Get pursued by fire giant-crewed longships from Tuern! Visit Luskan! Fight some more Northmen! Visit sahuagin, the Kraken society, and the Northmen!

Did I mention Northmen?
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  19:27:35  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Shining Sea ...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  21:47:21  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sea of Fallen Stars for me; I actually played in a "Pirates of the Fallen Stars" campaign shortly after the original 2E supplement (FOR3) was released.

That being said, the Sword Coast and the Shining Sea would be a lot of fun too... especially the Sword Coast, partly because thanks to my RL ancestry, I *am* one of the Northmen. I suspect Thauramarth and I would cross blades more than once...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  07:16:56  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the guys from Ruathim.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  07:58:14  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of them, so I didn't vote...

But if I had to pick only one it would be the Sword Coast.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 16 May 2010 07:58:42
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  13:06:54  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

The Sword Coast! Get pursued by Northmen! Visit the Nelanther Isles! Fight with Northmen! Get pursued by fire giant-crewed longships from Tuern! Visit Luskan! Fight some more Northmen! Visit sahuagin, the Kraken society, and the Northmen!

Did I mention Northmen?

Ah, but that's a cinematic pulp-barbarian campaign. Separated from pirates this gives one the possibility of choosing two favourites! The Nelanthers are another question of course.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2010 :  08:00:30  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd vote for the Sword Coast if it's my homebrew version which includes parts of Varisia, otherwise the area between Daggerfordd and Amn is kinda desolate.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000