Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Stupid question time...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  09:33:13  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Probably because the Bag Guy/Villain always has a Moustache...

I hope you mean bad guy?

And that's how it should be, all villains (and at least one member in a good rock band) should sport a moustache.
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  09:35:00  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

quote:

quote:
The drow of the Underdark also mentions that males (1 or 2 out of ten) can have facial hair to have moustaches or scrubby beard.

I've missed that one, do you have a page number?

Sorry, I dont remember. But it was mentioned in their basic appearance.

Can anyone answer on my question on elves in glasses?

I dont think it would be inconsievable for old elves to use glasses, but I cant remember it ever having been mentioned.

Just one question, is there a 3ed. book named The drow of the Underdark? I cant remember having seen it mentioned in the 2ed. book, but then again my memory is not something to write home about.

Yes I have it. I looked for it to create the drow priest character and the origins of the race.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  09:43:36  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:
The drow of the Underdark also mentions that males (1 or 2 out of ten) can have facial hair to have moustaches or scrubby beard.

I dont think it would be inconsievable for old elves to use glasses, but I cant remember it ever having been mentioned.

Just one question, is there a 3ed. book named The drow of the Underdark? I cant remember having seen it mentioned in the 2ed. book, but then again my memory is not something to write home about.

Yes I have it. I looked for it to create the drow priest character and the origins of the race.

Ah, thanks that explains it. I only own the 2nd ed. book and there is nothing said there upon that subject as far as I remember.
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  09:47:53  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My position is reversed. On my computer I have pdf of 3, 3.5, and two 4 ed guides and only four documents on 2 ed. I feel like I miss essential knowledge after reading the Code of Harpers.

Another stupid question: Do in the Realms pathos villains like in some funny anime exist? Like those who talk big, but do almost nothing?

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.

Edited by - Sill Alias on 03 May 2010 12:26:51
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  11:41:01  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I hope you mean bad guy?

And that's how it should be, all villains (and at least one member in a good rock band) should sport a moustache.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  11:45:37  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I hope you mean bad guy?

Well that's quite an answer. Deeply hidden feelings and thoughts boil to the surface? I have absolutely no idea on what you meant here.

I feel the Staff of the Moderators approaching my neck, best tp get back to the subject at hand. Stupid questions...
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  12:34:29  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My position is reversed. On my computer I have pdf of 3, 3.5, and two 4 ed guides and only four documents on 2 ed. I feel like I miss essential knowledge after reading the Code of Harpers.

Another stupid question: Do in the Realms pathos villains like in some funny anime exist? Like those who talk big, but do almost nothing?

I would assume TSR Manshoon...

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  12:38:09  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Manshoon does plenty. Lord Chess would be a better example of such a character (although I have zero knowledge of anime). The High Imperceptor of Bane and the High Captains of Luskan could easily be made into such. Several of the leading Cult of the Dragon members have delusions of grandeur to I would think.
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  12:39:30  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another one : Harpers must to maintain their status create some kind of composition once in a year. Here is the question: how many such works Elminster made?

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  13:54:35  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Manshoon does plenty. Lord Chess would be a better example of such a character (although I have zero knowledge of anime). The High Imperceptor of Bane and the High Captains of Luskan could easily be made into such. Several of the leading Cult of the Dragon members have delusions of grandeur to I would think.

I forgot about Chess...

He does strike me as a Dick Dastardly type.

Or was that Snidely Whiplash with Muttley?

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 03 May 2010 13:55:32
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  15:01:47  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dick Dastardly (at least they both had a moustache) was with Muttley. They always got a raw deal.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  15:06:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't immediately recall anything like that popping up in the Realmslore.

However, there are enough references to spectacles and eyeglasses to indicate that their crafting in urban centres is fairly widespread; so I imagine, should elderly elves need spectacles and the like, they're available.

Really, you'd probably have better luck asking this question of Ed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  05:06:35  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh come on! It is stupid question post! I don't want to bug the creator of the Realms by such, he is already busy. So, what about Elminster, or he is free from such routine?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  05:20:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh come on! It is stupid question post! I don't want to bug the creator of the Realms by such, he is already busy. So, what about Elminster, or he is free from such routine?

I don't really think it's a stupid question as such, and I think Ed would probably agree with me. So long as he's imparting Realmslore, it's all good!

Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  08:21:59  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, let me think another one.............................................!

I got it!
Does Jarlaxle use a shampoo?

Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  08:26:58  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I got it!

Yup. Shoeshine (black or colourless).
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  08:38:32  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

quote:

I got it!

Yup. Shoeshine (black or colourless).

A nice one!
Here we go: can doppelganger become a lycantrope?

Edited by - Sill Alias on 06 May 2010 08:14:38
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  08:39:11  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
whats a typical drow breakfast??????? do they even eat breakfast?????

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
739 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  11:42:29  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snowblood

1st level Adventurers? Treachery? Matron Mother's spleen?

Seriously, it's probably a combination of deep rothe meat and/or deep rothe milk product/s and/or one of the various edible fungi (like barrelstalk) and/or edible fungus product/s (like something produced from bluecap spore flour).

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  16:46:31  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

quote:
Originally posted by Snowblood

1st level Adventurers? Treachery? Matron Mother's spleen?

Seriously, it's probably a combination of deep rothe meat and/or deep rothe milk product/s and/or one of the various edible fungi (like barrelstalk) and/or edible fungus product/s (like something produced from bluecap spore flour).

I could actually imagine the drow having some cannibalistic traits and that selected parts of intelligent beings were eaten both as part of rituals and as a delicacy among the more depraved members of the race. But this has nothing to do with canon as far as I know.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  21:05:46  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read somewhere about eating lizard eggs and mushroom bread. But the rothe meat/milk is just as common, I'd think. You know, come to think of it, hey seem to have a VERY limited diet. I added cave fisher jelly on my world, and seafood, since my drow are also a maritime culture (piracy and sea trade based from sea caves with access to surface).

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  01:27:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lizard Egg Omelets with mushrooms and Rothe cheese

Hmmmm.. that actually sounds pretty good; wonder if I have any Lizard eggs in the fridge?

Maybe served with a bit of bacon on the side (just don't ask what Underdark bacon is made from... what looks like pigs?)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  01:33:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Lizard Egg Omelets with mushrooms and Rothe cheese

Hmmmm.. that actually sounds pretty good; wonder if I have any Lizard eggs in the fridge?

Maybe served with a bit of bacon on the side (just don't ask what Underdark bacon is made from... what looks like pigs?)

Cave pigs? [See Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark]

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  03:20:24  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, one could imagine that the tunnelmouth dweller from Dragon #267 would make for some tasty- and HUGE- froglegs! And the stalking catfish from the same issue would likely make a nice, big treat, too- provided one could catch it without getting eaten oneself.

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Laerrigan
Learned Scribe

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  06:05:47  Show Profile  Visit Laerrigan's Homepage Send Laerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, maybe this is a stupid question because it's been discussed elsewhere, but if it has, I haven't seen it.

What ever happened to the rockseer elves? I absolutely loved the whole concept and wrote up a thorough sub-racial profile on them for my own gaming, using what was in "Night Below" as well as my own extrapolations (they became Kiir'Tel'Quessir, gem elves, stone elves), but I've never seen anything about them outside of that one mod. Makes me sad for the lost potential...

"Your 'reality,' sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." (Baron Munchausen)
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was not made for this world." (C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy")
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  06:15:07  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool! Makes me want to know more about them, too! Hubby calls me elf-obsessed, lol!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Pazuzu
Seeker

Germany
61 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  09:22:25  Show Profile Send Pazuzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, my stupid questions:

What is the Thunderblessing?
Why to change Lathander to Amarauth?

May your dice obey your will. - Gary Gygax (*1938 - †2008)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  11:14:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pazuzu

OK, my stupid questions:

What is the Thunderblessing?
Why to change Lathander to Amarauth?

The Thunder Blessing was described in the 3E FRCS. Basicly, it was Moradin's blessing upon the dwarves, causing their birthrate to dramaticly increase.

The idea is that Lathander and Amaunator are different aspect of a tripartite sun deity, one that slowly shifts over time from one deity to the next. So Lathander -- dawn -- gave way to Amaunator, noon.

It's not a concept I like.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  11:23:26  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Laerrigan

Ok, maybe this is a stupid question because it's been discussed elsewhere, but if it has, I haven't seen it.

What ever happened to the rockseer elves? I absolutely loved the whole concept and wrote up a thorough sub-racial profile on them for my own gaming, using what was in "Night Below" as well as my own extrapolations (they became Kiir'Tel'Quessir, gem elves, stone elves), but I've never seen anything about them outside of that one mod. Makes me sad for the lost potential...

I wonder if they got a write up in one of the Monster Annuals, but that would probably be it. I am not even sure about that though, as I had forgotten the whole species.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  18:57:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I postulated a long time ago how I thought the Night Below box was written with FR in mind - aside from the fact that it is recommended for it right on the 1st page. There is a 'High Moor' nearby, and is the perfect location for a Rockseer back-story (Green-Elven Miyeritar survivors who followed their dark brothers undergriound). Also, the only setting wherein the term 'night Below' is ever used (in a novel, IIRC) is FR.

Lord Karsus ran with that in his Elven Netbook project.

Not sure why they went with 'taller' for a subterranean sub-species - doesn't make much sense - I would use them but shrink them down quite a bit (at least Drow size, if not smaller).

Next stupid question for me - while Wizbro was so busy 'correcting' FR for 4e, why didn't they finally correct the biggest mistake of all - and put Ten-towns BACK into the Demon lands/Bloodstone lands (North east) where it belonged?

Hell, if terrain could shift between dimensions, why can't it shift a thousand miles or so on the same planet?

It would save Entreri a lot of walking, and RAS could have all his toys (except for Cleric Quintet) in one toybox. It would also finally make that area a little more interesting (all that unexplained crap above Narfell would finally have some meaning).

Not a rant - just saddened by an opportunity missed.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 May 2010 18:58:34
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000