Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Stupid question time...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  01:32:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Well, for one thing, there's no drow on Krynn.
There are "dark elves" however. But not the "dark elves" of core D&D or Realms standard. The "dark elves" of Krynn are simply Silvanesti or Qualinesti elves who've committed some horrendous act in elven society, and thus, are banished as a result. Branded as "dark elves" they are largely considered lost and/or dead to the elven community they once belonged.
quote:
Krynnish elves are identified by their homeland more than anything else -- rather than have high elves or grey elves, like generic D&D worlds, or moon and gold elves, like the Realms, they have Qualinesti and Silvanesti. Their stats depend on their homeland. Back in 2E, their level and class limits were also dictated by their homeland.
However, Krynn also has wild elves, and ocean-going elves of various varieties.

Wooly's essentially correct about the relationship between Krynnish elves and their lands, though. The only thing I would add is that there really isn't that much difference between the core D&D concept of the "high elf" and the "Silvanesti elves" or the wild elves of FR and the "Kagonesti" of Ansalon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 02 May 2010 01:35:25
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  01:41:23  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes I have noticed similarities in places such as "high elves" and "Silvanesti" and the wild elves of both places. How about physically, the elves are supposed to all be pretty much generically the same, slender, quick, and pointy. :P

I don't recall exactly but I recall in some settings have elves depicted as fairly short and small and then some having elves depicted at average height or even sort of tall?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  02:28:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Genis

Yes I have noticed similarities in places such as "high elves" and "Silvanesti" and the wild elves of both places. How about physically, the elves are supposed to all be pretty much generically the same, slender, quick, and pointy. :P
It really depends on the source. Most DRAGONLANCE tomes and novels maintain the "grey/high" elf aspect of the Silvanesti elves. Much like other settings. However, some novels and authors have tended toward a more ethereal-aspect for the Silvanesti elves.
quote:
I don't recall exactly but I recall in some settings have elves depicted as fairly short and small and then some having elves depicted at average height or even sort of tall?
You might be thinking of DARK SUN elves, which can be short, and, usually, very tall -- between 6.5 and 7.5 feet.

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  02:55:29  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

It really depends on the source. Most DRAGONLANCE tomes and novels maintain the "grey/high" elf aspect of the Silvanesti elves. Much like other settings. However, some novels and authors have tended toward a more ethereal-aspect for the Silvanesti elves.
quote:
You might be thinking of DARK SUN elves, which can be short, and, usually, very tall -- between 6.5 and 7.5 feet.

Ok, I thought that the really tall elves like you mentioned are from Greyhawk and called Valley Elves. Is this wrong, then?

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  03:07:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ok, I thought that the really tall elves like you mentioned are from Greyhawk and called Valley Elves. Is this wrong, then?

No, you're also right. The Valley Elves of Oerth are usually regarded as being somewhat taller -- about the same height [or higher] as humans.

Edited by - The Sage on 02 May 2010 03:08:00
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  03:12:29  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, thank you! Are there any records of them coming to Toril? Also, what are the stat modifiers of Valley Elves in 3E, please?

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  03:41:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ok, thank you! Are there any records of them coming to Toril?
Not that I can recall.
quote:
Also, what are the stat modifiers of Valley Elves in 3E, please?

I don't think they were ever officially updated to 3e. Or, at least, I don't immediately recall any stat updates beyond what was in the 3e Living Greyhawk Gazetteer.

I *think* there were some close-to-official stats posted though, on the canonfire.com site. I don't have the link handy however.

Edited by - The Sage on 02 May 2010 03:46:32
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  03:45:12  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All right, thank you once more. I have the 1st Edition Greyhawk book, and that's where a lot of my information comes from on the world. It's just been a long while since I looked through it. I think it's also where the steel dragon (called a Greyhawk Dragon) comes from originally, right?

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  03:51:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

All right, thank you once more. I have the 1st Edition Greyhawk book, and that's where a lot of my information comes from on the world. It's just been a long while since I looked through it. I think it's also where the steel dragon (called a Greyhawk Dragon) comes from originally, right?

I believe so. The online "Oerth Journals" have an article about the origins of the Steel Dragons and how they *might* have come to populate other worlds, as I recall.

Edited by - The Sage on 02 May 2010 03:52:04
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  04:00:08  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oerth Journals. I'll have to Google that right away. Again my thanks.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  04:28:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oerth Journals. I'll have to Google that right away. Again my thanks.

They're archived on the canonfire.com site, available as PDF downloads, as I recall.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  06:05:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Valley Elves are actually a 'race' of half-Elves, hence their height and stockier build. The original Elves of the Valley have been breeding with the humans who came with the 'valley mage' for so very long that they have become there own distinct group.

Isn't there a tribe of half Elves somewhere on Toril? In that forest in Aglarond IIRC? I imagine them some what similar to the Valley Elves of Oerth.

Also, Grugach originated on Oerth - they were the original wild elves (taken from the Celtic Gruagach). I think that's why that title for them was dropped in FR in 3e - it was way too Greyhawkish.

I have a stupid question - why did Quaggoth go from being 'bearish' or even ape-like to being very feline-looking in 3e? Have the Rakshasas been tampering with Faerûnian DNA again?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 May 2010 06:06:51
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  06:32:49  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stupid question about tall elves again: I seem to remember something from the original 2E Undermountain boxed set about a permanent illusion of some sort of a realy tall elf (7' ish) in armour with a greatsword (I think)... can anyone corroborate this or am I imagining things? If I'm remembering correctly, has anything else been said anywhere about such a tall Realmsian elf subrace?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  06:40:13  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jakk for provoking another stupid question.
I got the question about avatars of Seldarine. Is their height bigger than that of an average elf or they take normal elven height?

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  07:24:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Isn't there a tribe of half Elves somewhere on Toril? In that forest in Aglarond IIRC? I imagine them some what similar to the Valley Elves of Oerth.
You mean the Yuirwood half-elves?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  07:28:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

Thanks Jakk for provoking another stupid question.
I got the question about avatars of Seldarine. Is their height bigger than that of an average elf or they take normal elven height?

Depends on the avatar or manifestation. Demihuman Deities indicates various sizes, heights, and shapes for the avatars of the Seldarine.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  08:36:34  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for Krynnish elves there is also the facial-hair thing. Dragonlance elves are said to be beardless (although not even Hickman/Weis managed to be consequent on that one), while Realmsian (and at least Know World of the other settings)elves are not. Although Steven Fabian was the only D&D artist to commonly show bearded elves (I cant remmember who first came up with the moustached Drow) Ed confirmed that the elves of Faerun were able to grow both beards and Moustaches if I remmember correctly.
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  08:43:41  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for reminding.
Can the sight of elves weaken to that extent that he needs glasses?
The drow of the Underdark also mentions that males (1 or 2 out of ten) can have facial hair to have moustaches or scrubby beard.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.

Edited by - Sill Alias on 03 May 2010 07:47:58
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  13:41:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

As for Krynnish elves there is also the facial-hair thing. Dragonlance elves are said to be beardless (although not even Hickman/Weis managed to be consequent on that one), while Realmsian (and at least Know World of the other settings)elves are not. Although Steven Fabian was the only D&D artist to commonly show bearded elves (I cant remmember who first came up with the moustached Drow) Ed confirmed that the elves of Faerun were able to grow both beards and Moustaches if I remmember correctly.

As Ed noted back in Dec. '04:-
quote:
As it happens, all of the Knights can attest that Merith Strongbow has both (scant, but dark in hue and definitely present) facial and body hair (though unlike human males, he doesn’t get facial stubble if he doesn’t shave every morning, and in fact never needs to shave) ...

Edited by - The Sage on 02 May 2010 13:42:28
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  19:40:06  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to remember it having been mentioned (I think it was in a long post describing the Knights) that Merith Strongbow did wear a moustache at times. So there is little indications of the attitudes found on Krynn concerning facial hair (seeing it as a sign of lesser blood so to speak) among the Faerunian elves.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  20:45:34  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Well, for one thing, there's no drow on Krynn.
There are "dark elves" however. But not the "dark elves" of core D&D or Realms standard. The "dark elves" of Krynn are simply Silvanesti or Qualinesti elves who've committed some horrendous act in elven society, and thus, are banished as a result. Branded as "dark elves" they are largely considered lost and/or dead to the elven community they once belonged.
quote:
Krynnish elves are identified by their homeland more than anything else -- rather than have high elves or grey elves, like generic D&D worlds, or moon and gold elves, like the Realms, they have Qualinesti and Silvanesti. Their stats depend on their homeland. Back in 2E, their level and class limits were also dictated by their homeland.
However, Krynn also has wild elves, and ocean-going elves of various varieties.

Wooly's essentially correct about the relationship between Krynnish elves and their lands, though. The only thing I would add is that there really isn't that much difference between the core D&D concept of the "high elf" and the "Silvanesti elves" or the wild elves of FR and the "Kagonesti" of Ansalon.

As I recall, the DL sourcebook Sylvan Veil made mention of the way in which Krynnish elves become "dark" elves, and even detailed the ritual that determines whether they should be banished. In my homebrew world, I took it a step further and used that ritual (heavily modified) as the source of the origin of my drow, as opposed to a simple conversion of an already-existing sub-race. Thus, they are not only banished, but "cursed" as well, to account for the differences in stats, etc. I do like how Krynn handled it, though, since that world has no "true" dark elves.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  22:55:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

As I recall, the DL sourcebook Sylvan Veil made mention of the way in which Krynnish elves become "dark" elves, and even detailed the ritual that determines whether they should be banished. In my homebrew world, I took it a step further and used that ritual (heavily modified) as the source of the origin of my drow, as opposed to a simple conversion of an already-existing sub-race. Thus, they are not only banished, but "cursed" as well, to account for the differences in stats, etc. I do like how Krynn handled it, though, since that world has no "true" dark elves.

One of my fave fantasy authors is Raymond E Feist. On his world, he's got several different breeds of elves, too. Not including the most recent arrivals, there's the eledhel (regular elves), the moredhel (dark elves, but not drow-like), the ocedhel (elves from across the ocean), the eldar (high elves, basicly), and the glamredhel (the wild elves). Most folks in the world only know about eledhel and moredhel.

Here's the part I think is niftiest: the biggest difference between the two is cultural. Thousands of years back, they were essentially one race. But their ancient masters (both races were slaves) left. The eledhel decided to go live their own lives. The moredhel decided to try to claim the power of their lost masters. And that's the major difference. The races are physically identical, except elves tend to have lighter hair than moredhel. Both races are quite at home in the forest, though some moredhel live in the mountains. And it's possible, with just a little magic and the subject being willing, for a moredhel to become an elf.

I think that's an interest variation on dark elves.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  00:20:18  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds cool. What book(s) is that in? I might have to hunt it/them down. I'm a sucker for anything to do with elves!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  00:27:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sounds cool. What book(s) is that in? I might have to hunt it/them down. I'm a sucker for anything to do with elves!

He's actually got quite the bibliography. I've got more than an entire shelf dedicated to him, in one of my bookcases. Start with the Riftwar Saga.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  01:42:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As I recall, the DL sourcebook Sylvan Veil made mention of the way in which Krynnish elves become "dark" elves, and even detailed the ritual that determines whether they should be banished.
There's actually been several slight variations of that process. The 3e Dragonlance Campaign Setting provides the most "up-to-date" take on the ritual and the application of the term "dark elf."

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  01:49:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I seem to remember it having been mentioned (I think it was in a long post describing the Knights) that Merith Strongbow did wear a moustache at times.
That's right. From this bit:-
quote:
I guessed the latter because she’s shown next to Merith (yes, that horribly simpering Figure 4 HAS to be an attempt to depict a male elf, so I guess that’s Merith without his moustache and dark hair), and because her face and hair most closely resemble the reference illustration Ed handed to TSR back in 1986.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  08:20:14  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The drow of the Underdark also mentions that males (1 or 2 out of ten) can have facial hair to have moustaches or scrubby beard.

I've missed that one, do you have a page number?

I just remembered one thing, interestingly enough the illustrations found in the 2nd ed. Complete book of elves shows all male elves a clean shaven, except for the drow who uniformly wear huge drooping moustaches.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  08:37:12  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably because the Bag Guy/Villain always has a Moustache...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 03 May 2010 08:37:34
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  08:40:02  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Sorry, I dont remember. But it was mentioned in their basic appearance.

Can anyone answer on my question on elves in glasses?

Edited by - Sill Alias on 03 May 2010 08:53:17
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  09:31:28  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Sorry, I dont remember. But it was mentioned in their basic appearance.

Can anyone answer on my question on elves in glasses?

I dont think it would be inconsievable for old elves to use glasses, but I cant remember it ever having been mentioned.

Just one question, is there a 3ed. book named The drow of the Underdark? I cant remember having seen it mentioned in the 2ed. book, but then again my memory is not something to write home about.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000