Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Can a Celestial Ascend to Godhood?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2010 :  05:36:19  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've heard of undead and fiends that have done it but never a celestial. Can anyone cite instances of this happening?

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2010 :  14:53:25  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are several powers that are not noted as having been mortal that have ascended in recent centuries; the Red Knight springs to mind. It's said (IIRC) that she was a faithful servant of Tempus whom he rewarded with thespark of divinity. It's not canon, but I've always imagined her as an ascended Planetar.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2010 :  11:14:30  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are no canon sources as far as I know. Celestial interventions in the Prime are the ones that would most often inspire religious admiration and form some cult following. Even a potted plant can ascend. I don't imagine the official, canon gods are all gods of Faerun, there has to be hundreds of other demigods.

Red Knight was possibly a specific neutral-aligned outsider-type servant/spirit of Tempus that possessed a heroine of the Tethyr war.

Other possibilities, Helm (thanks to his somewhat generic name), I used two different legends for him. One that he was a member of a fallen race of Celestia called the Watchers (grigori), the other that he was a clairsentient construct of Auppenser.

I'm not sure about Nobanion, if he's Aslan then ... ?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2010 :  13:37:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

I'm not sure about Nobanion, if he's Aslan then ... ?
Nobanion originally was, in part, based on Aslan. So saith Ed in the old DRAGON article [#54] on divinity.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2010 :  05:20:33  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nobanion is specifically mentioned as an interloper deity having established a presence in Faerūn only within the last few centuries. This is found in Faiths & Pantheons p.103. I don't know if this indicates he came over with the wemics, assuming they are even an interloper race, and a recent one at that.

Alternatively, this certainly allows for the possibility that Nobanion is in fact an aspect/fragment/avatar of the actual Aslan of Narnia, which may possibly be connected to Faerūn by means of portal, or some other link--such as the Wood Between The Worlds, which Ed Greenwood states he uses in his home Realms. Whether the Wood Between The Worlds has canon connections to Faerūn has never been said by WotC, and I don't think has been said by Ed, either. But it certainly allows for the possibility (however tenuous) that Nobanion IS Aslan.
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2010 :  06:49:23  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

... which may possibly be connected to Faerūn by means of portal, or some other link--such as the Wood Between The Worlds, which Ed Greenwood states he uses in his home Realms. Whether the Wood Between The Worlds has canon connections to Faerūn has never been said by WotC, and I don't think has been said by Ed, either. But it certainly allows for the possibility (however tenuous) that Nobanion IS Aslan.

Given the chapter in the Manual of the Planes about the colour pools on the astral plane which seem to allude to the pools of the Wood Between the Worlds, I think it isn't unlikely that such connections between the Wood and Faerun exist.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links • 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2010 :  14:32:40  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Supposedly Aslan is Christ, who knows how that would work in Realmspace if at all. So maybe he's angelic (celestial) like that lion from the Revelation.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2010 :  15:49:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Supposedly Aslan is Christ, who knows how that would work in Realmspace if at all. So maybe he's angelic (celestial) like that lion from the Revelation.

It's not supposedly -- it's flat out allegory. The original idea was something like "What if Christ came as a lion?"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2010 :  19:37:32  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I think the answer to the original question about Celestials being able to ascend to godhood (regardless of canon examples) is "Yes," if we can believe all the WotC designers speaking about 4e at last GenCon. That's the whole idea: anyone or anything CAN ascend to godhood. "How" is the big question.

Edited by - Baleful Avatar on 20 Mar 2010 19:38:30
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2010 :  21:43:19  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to say yes, tentatively so far as the Great Wheel cosmology goes. Will need to actually check on it though.

Outside of the Wheel however, one of Golarion's major gods, Sarenrae, started out as a celestial and subsequently ascended to godhood.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.

Edited by - Shemmy on 25 Mar 2010 03:34:21
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2010 :  05:27:34  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your responses guys. Logically speaking, Major fiends like Orcus and Asmodeus have made the leap, so I guess Celestials could as well. I want to say that there is a tell of a bear Guardinal or was it an archon that went into deep contemplation pondering the orinigs of true evil and then emerged or would emerge as a true divine being....
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2010 :  06:28:21  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that the main reason celestials haven't ascended to the godhood is their loyalty and servant attitude. Very few of such beings would have any ambitions. Pretty boring if you ask me.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000