Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 PBEM - help please
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  12:34:10  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi there,

well as most of you know, I have never dm'd so much as a cheese match, but all that is about to change. I finally found some people who want to play with me (minds out the gutter please) and as such, I want to start a play by email thingy

can some wise and learned member *cough*sage, wyrm,alau,malan*cough* please help with telling me the whos, whats why and hows of doing this?

Bear in mind I know nothing, and have no idea where to begin, other than to ask for help here.

Thanks in advance!

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  19:09:31  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No idea on how to run PbeM games either MuadDib.... shame that Mumadar isnt still in Candlekeep as Im sure he would be able to help. I know that Brian K Flood is a big PbeM DM though, maybe contact him for advice. He doesnt visit the forums much I dont think, but he has a lot of material on the Candlekeep site itself in the Campaign Logs area, maybe drop him an email.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Edited by - Lord Rad on 07 Sep 2003 19:11:01
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2003 :  03:11:04  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have that much to offer, really. The only experience I've had with it, really, is just roleplaying the prologue to the section of the story I was in. Complete setup: I walk in, see that I have few choices at which to sit in the crowded inn, decide to sit next to my future party-mates, and join up. There was a lot of role-playing in just that, but I wouldn't know how it was on Mumadar's end. Especially because he only made two posts in that time, and then all was silent.

However, on actually doing something, I might be able to help. I can at least aid in keeping the story going.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2003 :  07:38:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MuadDib, I really don't have time to go into it here (since I am still in another state, and therefore a long way from my material), but I do have a file that states all the ends and odds for running a PbeM campaign. They only problem is, it is designed for a different gaming system other than D&D, but the basics are generally the same. As a bonus, I have added some notes that I have collected about running these types of games, they're with the file as well.

I will email it to you as soon as I get back to Perth.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2003 :  13:27:15  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As ever, my deepest gratitude to you and wyrm

much appreciated it is...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2003 :  08:43:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you .

Anyway, I should be returning to Perth on Thursday...Friday at the latest. Is the delay going to be a problem?.

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2003 :  06:45:52  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not in the least

Just a quick question, to play this PBEM, will I need things like dice and all the other character sheets and all that stuff?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2003 :  07:27:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, it really all depends upon the emphasis you personally place on this type of campaign. I have ran two PbeM previously, which are wholly fluff campaigns, with noe rolling of die whatsoever. In this regard there is little difference between a PbeM and a PbP (Play-by-Post), but for Planescape campaigns, they are a lot of fun.

Most PbeM campaigns though have dice, and some form of PC record.

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2003 :  14:16:55  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wow, i think i will wait till you get back to Perth so you can explain it in full....

im postively boiling over withe excitement, and anticpation for this experience....

*bounces up and down*

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2003 :  14:33:59  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont do much PBeM. However I have ead some of them. Personally I think the best wa to go about the said thing is always to take in midn the chars stats. Think of them like super heros in a commic, or Super Heros within a book for one. Keep in mind what their str is and such, and enforce what they can and cannot do. If someone has like a +20 to a jump check from his ranks etc, and already has like a +5 dex bonus, its safe to say he will probably pull off the said action, so let him pull it off, however, also keep in mind that even then someone can make a mistake. Thats just an idea I have thought of when thinking about PBeM-s.

"Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?"

Piddles assumes a deep and resonant voice. "Space...the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship...Garou. It's mission: to slay Wyrm creatures where they live and breed. To accumulate more Garou than the world's entire population. To produce metis like no one has before." - Piddles

"Aren't you people supposed to be doing something? Like, entertaining me, the fascist wizard?" - InleRah

I have the passwords to the minds of everyone and the cheat codes to the universe - Me
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  07:01:40  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would i sound really stupid if I said I dont know what a jump check is?

Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  16:38:19  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't wory yourself ovr it MuadDib, I have no idea either. I assum it would have something to do with your characters Dexterity to see if they can land the jump well...

I don't know...

"Those who watch their backs meet death from the front"
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2003 :  06:49:37  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I sort of get the whole concept of beating the checks to succeed at feats and so on...I also get concepts like AC, battle rolls etc from paying th ePC games. I just have never used them in practise on my own...

I need to get a D&D for Dummies book...

Go to Top of Page

Salabasha
Learned Scribe

Portugal
216 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2003 :  21:25:49  Show Profile  Visit Salabasha's Homepage Send Salabasha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jump Check is basically occurs when you need to jump a gap or something like that. It can also be used to jump from moving thing to another thing. Also used in traps (sometimes). The choice of what is needed to roll is usually based on the DM. Skill points is what increases the trap.

Also, play by post is a lot easier (in my case) then email.

Finally, this may a good idea for a character sheet incase your players need them (or the DM needs them from a player.

Used this on another site...

Player:

Physical Description
Name:
Class:
Race:
Alignment:
Level:
Diety:
Size:
Height:
Weight:
Eyes:
Hair:
Skin:

Stats
Str:
Dex:
Con:
Int:
Wis:
Cha:

Total Mod =

Hit Points:
Armour Class:
Hit die:
Speed:
Initiative:
Size Mod: Base Attack:

Saves
Fort:
Ref:
Will:

Attacks
Melee:

Ranged:

Special:

Skills (00 Skills Points)

Feats

Languages

Carrying Capacity
Light = up to lb.
Med = lb
Heavy = lb.

Funds
GP =
SP =
CP =

Equipment

Life is like a box of chocolates. Once you eat the poisoned one you die.
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2003 :  06:57:46  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wow thanks salabasha.. I will start filling some of them out.

I will also let you know where i get stuck, there are one or two of those things i dont know...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2003 :  15:07:05  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tried posting this last night, but I couldn't seem to get it through. It was like the site was down, but I don't see a message from Tethtoril to that effect. I guess it was on my end.

A jump check is a skill check. In any skill check, you roll a d20 and add the character's ranks for that skill and the addition of that character's corresponding ability. Usually it's set up against a DC of some sort, but the 3e Jump skill is a little confusing at first. (Took me a long time to figure it out.) The example in the book helps some, but not as much as it should have.

With Jump, you still make the d20 roll, adding ranks and the ability score (in this case Strength), but there's no DC to beat. Instead, you always jump a minimum distance, depending on what kind of jump it is. For instance, with a running jump, you move at least five feet. Then, if your Jump check exceeds 10, you add more. In the running jump, it's one extra foot for every one point after ten. (If the check is 17, the character moves 5 feet + 7 feet, or 12.) No matter what, though, the character can't jump more that six times his height, unless he's an experienced monk or has magical assistance (like the jump spell, or boots of striding and springing).

That's the running jump, remember. The other jumps are different in minimums, maximums, and how many extra feet are jumped.

In 3.5e, though, the Jump skill is a lot easier to figure out. It actually has DC values, so you don't need to do as much calculating. In the new version, the rolls are matched up to a DC that either equals the distance attempted (for long jumps) or the distance x 4 (high jumps). Or, as I think it should be stated, the distance travelled is equal to the result of the check on long jumps, and equal to the check divided by 4 on high jumps.

That's with running starts, though. If it's standing jumps, then the distance you travel is halved. (Or, as the book says, the DC is twice as high.)

Character speed affects the checks as well. For instance, if the character has speed 20 because of load, race, or magic, he gets a -6 penalty. For every -10 feet, another -6 is added. If he's faster than 30 feet per round (because he's a barbarian, a monk, or affected by magic) he gets +4 per extra +10.

As I said, it's easier to understand than the original. But it's missing the maximum distance! There's nothing I can see to stop a character from jumping a physically impossible distance if he gets a roll of 20. In 3e, the longest mundane jump could be no more than 33 feet -- and that only for a 6'6" tall human. In 3.5e, a barbarian (speed 40) with 18 Str, a synergy from 5 Tumble ranks, and the Acrobatic and Run feats gets the maximum die roll on a Jump check, he can make a running jump for more than that without any jump ranks whatsoever.

I don’t know why they removed the maximum distance restriction. If you ask me, it’s one of the stupidest ‘fixes’ they made.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2003 :  15:16:47  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MuadDib, I've got a chart (a Word file) that lays out all the things that Salabasha did, and more. It's a slightly modified version of something Artalis sent me. It says it's copyright "J. HIRVONEN" and I've left that in. It's a very useful file.

It's also 638KB, so I won't send it unless you want it. I don't want you to get an overloaded mailbox.

Go to Top of Page

Candlekeep Webmaster
Webmaster

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2003 :  18:48:13  Show Profile  Visit Candlekeep Webmaster's Homepage Send Candlekeep Webmaster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

I tried posting this last night, but I couldn't seem to get it through. It was like the site was down, but I don't see a message from Tethtoril to that effect. I guess it was on my end.

Youre quite right Bookwyrm, the site was taken down for approximately 45 minutes around 22:15GMT. Apologies for the inconvenience. As mentioned in another topic, there will be periodic downtimes with the site over the next week (this coming Monday in particular). Service will be back to normal soon once the maintenance and upgrades have been performed.

Jay
Candlekeep Webmaster

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2003 :  03:27:50  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah. I missed that one; I was offline for a few days. When the site went down, I of course wasn't able to complete my little stroll through the Active Topics page . . . .

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2003 :  07:02:19  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm: I would like that document very much thank you

*bows deeply*

but could you send it to alex@dit.net please?

Go to Top of Page

elven_songstress
Learned Scribe

126 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2003 :  15:57:11  Show Profile  Visit elven_songstress's Homepage Send elven_songstress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good Eve Ladies and Masters, it seems that you need people who know a bit about how to run a PBEM game. *waves her hand* I the elven songstress have no life. *Lol*

Anyways when you start work on a play by e mail a few things are very important to remember your not going to have your voice to inflict the situation so your going to need words.

It helps like in a table top game to read, through your adventure ahead of time decide what you want for player characters and what you don't, as its always alot of work to do just that.

Next is the actually stats and level, like a normal game of D&D your going to want boundries so no one power games or cheese mongers.

You can type up the events and have people respond to them, if a roll needs to be made you have the option of letting them do it roleing there own dice or rolling it yourself, the other option is this, Electronic Dice Rollers.I have a few links to some good ones if anyone is interested.

Moveing right along, your going to want a place to host it, PBEM's are good to play at http://www.topica.com or www.groups.yahoo.com, there may be a few other's out there but those are the two I have played the most on.

After that all you need to do is advertise to get some players and once that is done your ready to begin your adventure.

If anyone has an specific questions I am happy to answer them I am open to e mails, chat that sorta thing, elven_songstress@yahoo.com is where I can be reach at.

Or post them here I do not mind trying to help.

elven-songstress

We need to be reminded sometimes that a sunrise lasts but a few minutes,but its beauty can burnin our hearts eternally."
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2003 :  21:40:11  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::claps::

Good show, Songstress. Concise and informative . . . I can never get those two together.

MuadDib, I'll send that along soon. I'll need a bit to make a few changes (I thought of some things that Mr. J. Hirvonen didn't put in), and then a while for my *&^% 56k mo-- er, I mean, portal to send the form along. ( It's so slow . . . .)

Go to Top of Page

elven_songstress
Learned Scribe

126 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2003 :  23:04:02  Show Profile  Visit elven_songstress's Homepage Send elven_songstress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*bows*
"My thanks Lord Sage , i just can not for the life of me recall what I am missing. I know there is likely something but it will come to me at the oddest time and I will post it here.*chuckles*

Anyways, I recall now.

A PBEM is only as good as its players, a DM can put all the work in the world into his game , but if the players aren't motivated it dies very quickly, so make sure you have go getters as players, a background is usually good so you can start the group off knowing something about them.

Larue ~Elven songestrss of Mithril Hall and the North.~

We need to be reminded sometimes that a sunrise lasts but a few minutes,but its beauty can burnin our hearts eternally."
Go to Top of Page

Salabasha
Learned Scribe

Portugal
216 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2003 :  03:39:01  Show Profile  Visit Salabasha's Homepage Send Salabasha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never actually seen or finished a campaign in the set of PbP or PbEm. Either, as songstress said, the players leave, the dm leaves, or the thing just blows apart into lots of little pieces (FUN)

Still, if ya ask me the best way to play would be a good ol fashion shing ding... I mean chat room. *Looks at the library
And I think it would be a good idea for this here site.

(Once again the Bookwyrm stealing my thunder and making me look like yet another boot polisher)

Life is like a box of chocolates. Once you eat the poisoned one you die.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2003 :  06:41:54  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me stealing thunder? How can one steal a sound . . . . You can copy sound, such as with magic mouth, but never steal it . . . .

Actually, it sounds like I'm doing it twice, once from you, once from the guy who actually wrote the original. Perhaps I have a few levels of thief in me . . . .

Of course, I can't really be stealing anything if I'm making it even better . . . so how about I send it to you as well? Then you can give it out instead of me next time.

After all, I can't have any allegations of theft harming my stirling reputation. Nothing harms a public figure like the truth lies.

Go to Top of Page

elven_songstress
Learned Scribe

126 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2003 :  19:49:49  Show Profile  Visit elven_songstress's Homepage Send elven_songstress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't mind taking a look at it too, could you also send it to me as well BookWyrm Please...

I would be interested in seeing it, another way would be to start a game on here in a post just for fun, we did that on a friends board and it lasted from 1999-2002 it was a great game and one of the most impromptu ones that was ever played by yours truely.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2003 :  05:13:29  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'll do that. I've been a bit delayed for that, due to Real Life problems. I should have it ready before Monday.

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2003 :  17:07:57  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MuadDib

Hi there,

well as most of you know, I have never dm'd so much as a cheese match, but all that is about to change. I finally found some people who want to play with me (minds out the gutter please) and as such, I want to start a play by email thingy

can some wise and learned member *cough*sage, wyrm,alau,malan*cough* please help with telling me the whos, whats why and hows of doing this?

Bear in mind I know nothing, and have no idea where to begin, other than to ask for help here.

Thanks in advance!

Hehehe Rad, I haven't moved to Kelemvor's Realm yet. Mystra has granted me access to the Weave again, and therefore I'll be back on occasion.

MuadDib, you have received some good advice from the forum members, yet I'll add a little to it.

DM-ing is like telling a story. A story in which the main characters are in an interactive role. Not the story teller but the characters decide what they do. The only thing the story teller can do to keep the characters more or less on the right path, is to guide them.

Don't force them, but use NPC's and encounters as the proverbial carrot to move them along. Be descriptive as if indeed you're telling a story. Remember, you as the DM are the eyes, ears for the characters. It is up to you to make the setting come to life in vibrant colors, sounds and feelings.

And this still has nothing to do with a set of rules... In a PbeM the rules really are secondary to the game. Only the DM really has a need of the rulebooks and the dice.

Since managing a game is indeed a little more complicated than a cheese match, I strongly would advise you to read a copy of the Dungeon Master guide of the D&D version in which you intend to run the game. This is more or less some necessary training each DM will have to go through.

Don't let the rules discourage you from running a game. Free-winging it can be very rewarding, as long as you're consistent in your decisions and the players are willing to submit themselves to such a regimen.

The other advice I can give you, and which you have already learned some of, is to ask. There is no stupid question but the one which is not asked.

Good luck on starting your career as a PbeM DM.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2003 :  13:36:55  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All this studying within these great halls must have impaired my vision..... surely thats not Mumadar Ibn Huzal I see before me, returned at last with a vast amount of scrolls and tomes?!

Good to see you back Mumadar, youve been missed

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  20:35:55  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And starting on the wrong foot by replying off-topic, but yes, I'm back. Though not as frequently as I have been before.

I have some other duties as well now... per 10/28 I'll be acting as husband and around x-mas as a 1st time father...
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  22:13:36  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

And starting on the wrong foot by replying off-topic, but yes, I'm back. Though not as frequently as I have been before.

I have some other duties as well now... per 10/28 I'll be acting as husband and around x-mas as a 1st time father...

Congrats are in order then Mumadar.....although im not sure if Alaundo will accept such as an excuse for neglecting your Realmslore

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000