Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Clarification on Cormyrean Adventuring Charters
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2010 :  03:47:11  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Fellow Scribes,

After going through my books, I'm a bit befuzzled. I seem to remember there existing two forms of adventuring charters in Cormyr: One for groups of six/seven or less, and another for companies of up to thirty, yet of the three sources I've seen they don't quite agree.

I can find mention of a 1,000 gp/year charter in Cormyr and Four from Cormyr which lists little information about the size of a group, compared with a more confusing footnote on page seven of Volo's Guide to Cormyr, which mentions a six-person headcount limit for the 1,000 gp charter, and three more charters (2,500gp/person for "a seven-day battle pass", 3,000gp/person for a tenday pass, or 25,000gp+ for a permanent charter) for larger groups.

Is there any more lore concerning these passes for larger groups or the headcount limit of six? Anyone more Cormyr-savvy than I care to clarify the matter?

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2010 :  04:29:14  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As to lore, I leave to lore masters.

As to pay, it tends to follow pay for risk and reward.

Some of the short term contracts likely are along the lines of deal with problem and part (if not all) of what you find you can keep.

Larger parties can get paid more for two reasons, the first being a group of 30 becomes a security problem (better to pay them-then fight them), the second of course would be an axillary military force sent to fight in problem regions of borders, etc.

All in all it really comes down to how important a group is as to what deal is made. The small group can be crushed if they cause internal problems with ease, a larger group is harder to deal with with force or arms.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2010 :  19:52:44  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

I didn't mean pay as in the sense of how a group distributes their spoils, I meant pay as in how much a group must pay as the yearly licensing fee to the crown.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2010 :  23:30:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Daviot, I think this might be one for Ed to tackle.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2010 :  08:51:51  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daviot

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

I didn't mean pay as in the sense of how a group distributes their spoils, I meant pay as in how much a group must pay as the yearly licensing fee to the crown.

Oh, those contacts, my error.

As indicated Ed might be a better source to go to.

What I can tell is what I do in my city state with residents and visitors.

I impose a weapon tax, a permit to carry weapons. Failure to have a permit while having a weapon is a crime, killing with unlicensed letter is either Death or slave service to pay damages.

The bigger the group wanting weapons the higher of cost the cost.
It is possible Cormyr contracts follow a similar concept. The more people the higher the fee, I also do suspect that it depends on how much powers are accorded to the companies. Some, as you indicated, were only for a 10 day. It clearly is possible that time, members and abilities are all figured into an agreement. I also suspect it will also depend on the type of tasks planned to do.
A General charter to kill orcs on the borders likely would be far less then a contract to kill a Dragon because of expected rewards from a success. However if a group decides to take on a task that Cormyr however is unwilling to expend their our resources a party might get a reduced rate, or at least a promise of a refund.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2010 :  22:04:50  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Righto, I'll add my query to Ed's scroll.

My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2010 :  08:33:09  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, my knowledge ends with the footnotes information.

However, I might give you my understanding of the matter:

The footnote in VGtC is rather vague in wording. Therefore I understand it in such ways as that the cost will be considered always individually on a case by case basis (with the exclusion of the fellowship charter for 1000 gp). The prices mentioned in the footnote are mere guidelinces for the DM, er, the officials. This is indicated by the use of words such as 'as little as', 'upward from there', 'or more'. Therefore, I would always charge prices based on the power, influence, resources and size of each party using the given prices as a certain base price. The War Wizards should be able to find out a great deal of a party to help out the 'officials' in their duty to find the right price (or a way too high price for that matter).

I always interpreted the adevnturing licence policy in Cormyr as a way to regulate and oversee adventuring parties. With the licence the Crown has the ability to always

1. know how many parties are active in Cormyr and where.
2. thereby regulate the amount of parties.
3. keep track of who is in a party, the size of the party
and 4. esp. the power and influence of each party.

I reasoned that this policy is the 'lesson learned' due to the bad experiences with Gondegal the Usurper King, who recruited mercenaries from throughout Cormyr and elsewere.

However that might help you, good gaming always,

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2010 :  04:09:48  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to the charter I wrote up for my players that I am running through Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave. Feel to use it in part or in it's entirety as you see fit. I came up with it with some help from another scribe (I don't remember who) on another scroll (I don't remember where) here at the 'Keep.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 21 Feb 2010 04:13:43
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2010 :  17:18:25  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Here is a link to the charter I wrote up for my players that I am running through Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave. Feel to use it in part or in it's entirety as you see fit. I came up with it with some help from another scribe (I don't remember who) on another scroll (I don't remember where) here at the 'Keep.

Thanks, I think I had the original text version. I wasn't so much asking about the wording in building a charter, just the discrepancy in pricing.

My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000