Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Bag of Basic $^!%
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gwalchavad
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2009 :  19:42:04  Show Profile  Visit gwalchavad's Homepage Send gwalchavad a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, long story short, my players are getting lazy and have taken to rather then itemizing their basic equiptment (I tend to start my games around level 3 or so, I don't enjoy the baby the PCs game that must be played with 1st level) they write in 'bag of basic (insert expletive here).' So when I say how are you going to get (joe) out of the thirty foot pit, they say I've got a BoBS, that has rope in it right. I have grown tired of this and made the ruling that until someone comes up with a itemized list, a weight, and a cost for said bag, it would be just that, an empty bag...

So from there I pose the question what would the most basic adventurers bag contain? What would no person in their right mind leave home without?

Please if you have it throw a quantity, price and weight.

I'll start and break my own rule as I have no books here at work;
(someone wanna throw me a bone on these three?)

1 backpack
1 thick blanket
10 days trail rations

Looking for please,

Gwalchavad

Before I hurt my lazy PCs

gwalchavad
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2009 :  19:46:30  Show Profile  Visit gwalchavad's Homepage Send gwalchavad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh, I guess for a start lets say max price for whole bag should be less than half of the starting gold of a 3rd level PC, out of the 3.0 or 3.5 DMG should be the same amount, like I said no books here so can't put a hard number on that.

and I'm looking for mundane items not your armor, weapons, magic, etc.
Go to Top of Page

gwalchavad
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2009 :  20:39:53  Show Profile  Visit gwalchavad's Homepage Send gwalchavad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes feel free to go old school, me and my players are at least AD&D some go as far back as the red box We play a homebrewed version somewhere around 2.75E and half of 3rd level gold leaves alot of money to play with.

so yes;
10 iron spikes
1 tinder box wrapped in an oiled cloth to keep it dry
1 hand size piece of flint
1 steel blade
5 flasks of oil
3 pairs new underclothes (one with holes needs to be mended)
1 extra pair of boots (unless you are a halfling like myself )
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  00:10:58  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PHB2 from 3.5, in the back of the back of the book had a list of basic adventuring gear.

Backpack, waterskin, bedroll, sack, flint and steel, belt pouch, 10 days trail rations, 50' of hemp rope, and some others for 15 gold pieces. Thats what my group uses.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  00:58:40  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree. Maybe that stuff is extra. That was by no means a complete list either.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

gwalchavad
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  03:14:40  Show Profile  Visit gwalchavad's Homepage Send gwalchavad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TY capnvan, I was hoping to have some fun with this, much less monotonus than perusing a catalog so

added to the list

1 waterskin
1 bedroll
1 sack
1 belt pouch
50' of hemp rope
1 comb
5 torches
2 bottles wine
10 lbs cut woot
1 writing utensil
1 100 pg book (blank)
1 fry pan
1 stew pot
1 mirror small

spell book, prayer book, food for animal companion.

and the problem capn is that they don't so they really don't even have food... I know I could play the big D card, but I really don't want to pick that particular fight, as we are just here around the table to have fun.
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  13:21:16  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The thing is, figure how much all that weights.... now place it upon the back of your group's wizard. =)

I would suggest two lists.

Basic Equipment, EVERY character should carry
Group Equipment, Cooking utensils, rope, iron spikes... etc.. This is equipment that the group as a whole needs. This goes on the back of the fighters =)

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  13:33:26  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is what the "BSB" or "BSF" is for.

Big Stupid Barbarian, or Big Stupid Fighter.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

gwalchavad
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  22:14:22  Show Profile  Visit gwalchavad's Homepage Send gwalchavad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah alot of this stuff is 'party' equiptment so only one BBoS would need to be baught, save the drillys and the hygenics, but again point taken
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  08:13:46  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One approach is to take the players literally at their word. If they say they have a Bag of Basic S**t then they'll be popular with farmers, smell badly and maybe plagued by hungry otyughs. And to actually put their hands in it looking for rope is a brave act.

As for a standard issue backpack, as you say food rations for ten days, canteen for water, blanket roll, bandages, tinderbox, mirror, length of rope, torch or lantern. If they want more than they hire a hireling to carry their stuff, and/or a donkey.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  11:09:43  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

Of course, the problem with hirelings is that they're normal people. Often normal local people. To wit:
"You want me to go down there? That's where that last party of adventurers was going. And they never came back!"
"Well, OK, then just wait here til we get back."
"Are ye mad!? There's goblins in these hills! You're the ones with the pointy sharp things. I'm not waiting around alone to end up in a tusker's soup pot!"
Etc.

At least it offers further role-playing opportunities. And, because any savvy hireling worth his salt will bargain, it serves to drain the party coffers of any excess cash. Call it danger pay for the hireling.

At some point a good hireling becomes a good henchman. And as the players near 6th level, the henchmen might even become cohorts.

It's all a question of GP really. The more gold the PC's pay, the more likely some commoner will think that it's a lot of money to carry some stuff/lead a donkey.

Of course, Nodwick comes to mind too.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  11:20:50  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

This also applies somewhat to the donkey - you're never going to persuade it to enter a dungeon, but if you leave it hobbled outside, it's easy prey for any random encounter, from hungry wolves to patrolling goblinoids to greedy locals.

In real life, both donkeys and ponies worked in mines, so I'm pretty sure you can get one in a dungeon. If the party has a ranger, or druid, then they can help. Alternatively, a few levels in Handle Animal.

To return to the initial problem, there is a solution. Zargath's Sack of Useful Tools. This bag is actually a portal to a large extra-dimensional space. All a user has to do state aloud what they want and it'll appear in their hands. It'll be a bit like Herewald's Handy Haversack I suppose. The downside of Zargath's Sack of Useful Tools is that Zargath is actually a devil, so each time the Sack is used the PC's run the risk of gaining vile damage.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  17:42:37  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget a GRAPPLING HOOK, these little wonders can get you across ravines, scale walls, and make a nifty improvised weapon.
I had a party once that used a hook to prevent a Bad Guy from escaping on a wagon...it was messy...but he didn't get away either.

"Go ahead...Sleep in the church...the vampires can't get ya in the church" Any DM...any time.

"He's like a trained ape...without the training"
Simon after Jane trashed the Med lab
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  21:41:05  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget the ultimate adventuring tool: the (wet) towel

Good for mopping up greased areas,
cleaning a sooted face,
keeping cool in hot weather by making a wet turban,
slapping teammates (or enemies) on their behinds,
dip in murky liquid and wring it hard to drink,
attach to the next partymembers towels to make rope,
blinding golems or other unintelligent foes

I cant remember the dragon article that dealt with this universal adventuring tool but it had 101(!) uses for the wet towel...

Stay sharp!

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  21:54:57  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The "Standard Aventurer's Kit" in the current Player's Handbook includes a backpack, bedroll, flint & steel, a belt pouch, ten days worth of trail rations, 50' of hempen rope, two sunrods, and a waterskin. A bit more gold and you can add the "Climber's Kit" with its grappling hook, hammer, and ten pitons.
Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  21:56:48  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

The "Standard Aventurer's Kit" in the current Player's Handbook includes a backpack, bedroll, flint & steel, a belt pouch, ten days worth of trail rations, 50' of hempen rope, two sunrods, and a waterskin. A bit more gold and you can add the "Climber's Kit" with its grappling hook, hammer, and ten pitons.

Me I would have to swap the hemp rope for silk...just cause

"Go ahead...Sleep in the church...the vampires can't get ya in the church" Any DM...any time.

"He's like a trained ape...without the training"
Simon after Jane trashed the Med lab
Go to Top of Page

goatunit
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2009 :  14:58:54  Show Profile  Visit goatunit's Homepage Send goatunit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have a "basic tools" rule that covers things like torches, needle and thread, flint and steel, etc - but a hard rule about overly convenient items. If you didn't buy a rope or a ten foot pole or mirror or whatever, you don't have them.
Go to Top of Page

Fizilbert
Learned Scribe

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2009 :  02:22:34  Show Profile  Visit Fizilbert's Homepage Send Fizilbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What exactly is "Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue" and where can one find it?

I have to admit that this thread has given me the idea that I should probably put together a list of a basic adventuring bag for my campaign, what it includes, and how much it costs, and how much it weights, just to make character creation a quicker process.

Fiz
Level 10 Vice-president
World of Elethril
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2009 :  04:25:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fizilbert

What exactly is "Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue" and where can one find it?

http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/fr/aurora.htm

Imagine a Sears catalog for the Realms. It's a wonderful resource -- it became required material for character creation in my group.

As for finding one now... You could try eBay (my personal fave) or Nobleknight.com.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Fizilbert
Learned Scribe

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2009 :  14:14:23  Show Profile  Visit Fizilbert's Homepage Send Fizilbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent, just what I need. Especially since I play a 2E campaign. I'll have a look on Ebay and Amazon.

Fiz
Level 10 Vice-president
World of Elethril
Go to Top of Page

Fizilbert
Learned Scribe

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2009 :  14:34:14  Show Profile  Visit Fizilbert's Homepage Send Fizilbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and dont forget a tent, what serious adventurer would go out into the wilds without having atleast a small tent to keep the snow and rain out.

Fiz
Level 10 Vice-president
World of Elethril
Go to Top of Page

Hellkeepa
Seeker

Norway
61 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2009 :  04:03:39  Show Profile  Visit Hellkeepa's Homepage Send Hellkeepa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HELLo!

I, too, would recommend using the SAK from the 4.0 PHB. It lists the most basic items, and lends itself well to be used in 3.x as well. Can't recall how much it weighs atm, but it should be easy to calculate using the 3.5 PHB. Cost is the same as in 4.0 though, which is 15 GP.
Otherwise, you could always take the literal route too, if you want to be a smidgen evil. *Evil grin*

Happy playin'!

Dealing with 3.5 only. Refusing the reality of 4.0, and substituting it for my own.

Edited by - Hellkeepa on 19 Oct 2009 05:07:05
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2009 :  08:55:09  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
'm pretty sure you can get [a pony] in a dungeon

Providing, of course, that Gandalf isn't in your party.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

BlackDragonKarameikos
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2010 :  02:18:57  Show Profile  Visit BlackDragonKarameikos's Homepage Send BlackDragonKarameikos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, a basic adventuring pack is a good idea. I created one for my group and allow them to swap out certain items that they feel they may not want or need.

I always have a copy of it printed up so that anyone joining my group or making a new character can easily set up their PC quickly.
Go to Top of Page

Artemel
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2010 :  12:32:19  Show Profile  Visit Artemel's Homepage Send Artemel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the "Explorer's Kit" from the FR adventure "Sons of Gruumsh." It's the current "standard kit" for my players, even if they tend to toss some of the stuff out as soon as they get it, or redistribute it to stronger party members for weight issues.

Explorer's Kit:
Backpack
Bedroll
Scroll case
Parchment x6
Crowbar
Flint and steel
50 ft. silk rope
Hammer
Pitons x10
Hooded lantern
Flasks of oil x3
Small steel mirror
Silver mug
Vial of ink
Iron pot
Belt pouch x3
Sack x5
Soap
Small shovel
Tent
Waterskin
Sunrods x5
Tindertwigs x5
Trail rations x10
GRAPPLING HOOK [added, I missed it when copying from adventure]

Kit costs 80gp (A slight reduction from the price of each item tallied up, but the merchant moves more items as there is no customization available.)

[Edit: Thanks for noticing missing grappling hook, Alystra. ]

Edited by - Artemel on 30 Jan 2010 18:10:40
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2010 :  05:57:56  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like your kit. It's pretty comprehensive, although I noticed there was no grapple hook. I'd take out the mug and replace it with the hook. Otherwise, great list!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2010 :  07:12:53  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I know this is Realms and not the real world, I think you might be able to take a clue from real world experiences. Being a history major and a wargames buff, I have all sorts of trivial information in this area.

For example, The typical foot soldier in the Roman Army would have carried roughly 80 lbs of stuff with him. That 80lbs consists of rations and water (in a canteen or waterskin depending on region and era) a bedroll, several pieces of equipment to maintain his armor and weapons (sharpening stone, oil, rags, small hammer, spare straps and rivets), tentage (including part of the tent canvas, his share of the pegs and poles), and possibly one two two changes of clothes. To this list would be added any loot or extra equipment that he picked up on campaign.

It was not a light load and none of it is what I would call "party gear," which would include cooking equipment, firewood, sacks for loot, etc. Better get a donkey.

N.B. - Actually while the soldier's gear has changed a lot since the days of Ceaser, the weight of the payload is very close to the same 80 pounds in today's armed forces.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2010 :  21:21:58  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hay, interesting info, Halidan! And the observation was enlightening, too...

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000